Official AK fishing thread

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by tyeeslayer, Aug 13, 2017.

1. tyeeslayer

tyeeslayer Super Member

A place for us to place our fishing adventures. 20170813_165429.jpg

A halibut and Chinook (King) salmon caught off Ucluelet B.C. One of many caught.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  2. tyeeslayer

tyeeslayer Super Member

20160819_150938.jpg

Attached Files:

3. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

Boat 3.jpg big grouper.jpg I used to love fishing for bluegills until I caught my first tarpon. I had a 21' SeaCat power catamaran named "Blue Horizon" from the James Taylor song, but I had to give it up because everything needing repair on a boat requires that you kneel. My knees were so arthritic and destroyed internally, that when I had to fix anything. I was in tears before I was done. I sure used to have fun before the knee problems kicked in. My favorite thing to do was to spearfish for grouper in the Gulf of Mexico near Tampa.

tyeeslayer likes this.
  4. www.records

www.records Quality over Quantity

I love to fish, but being land locked I am limited to streams, rivers and lakes. I fish mostly for Catfish and crappie, both excellent table fare. I went last Friday and caught 4 Catfish in a river 10 minutes from the house. All were released.

5. tyeeslayer

tyeeslayer Super Member

6. tyeeslayer

tyeeslayer Super Member

Salmon fishing was kind of slow (one on the left) but the Halibut fishing was okay. Also got some Vermilion and 1 Brill.

Athalwolf likes this.
  7. ilusndweller

ilusndweller Super Member

Havent fished much lately (about 4 times in 4 years) but will get back into it when things settle down. I mostly fish homemade foiled crankbaits. Going for the elusive 20" river smallmouth from Ohio.

IMG_2325.JPG

bluestime and tyeeslayer like this.
  8. ilusndweller

ilusndweller Super Member

Got this pic yesterday from my bro. He just moved up to Twin Cities. He got 3 northerns on this one yesterday then lost it. I had given him some bigger ones as well and told him to start fishing them...with a leader.

IMG_2666.PNG

bluestime and tyeeslayer like this.
  9. tyeeslayer

tyeeslayer Super Member

Have you ever thought about using a single hook on the back of the lures? I find I get less lost fish on a single then a treble. Sound counter productive but it works.

bluestime and grillebilly like this.
  10. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

Fishing is my favorite pastime. I bought a kayak last year so I don't have to lug the canoe when I go solo. This Largemouth Bass was a tad over 19" and had the big belly, so I'm guessing a 4+ pound fish. Caught it in June on a purple worm.
    fishbig2017.jpg

tyeeslayer, bluestime and Athalwolf like this.
  11. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

I let most everything go, all bass are released. We have the invasive species Snakeheads in the Potomac River near Washington, DC. They are mean as hell, they thrash on the line when caught. The law says you have to kill them. They are the best tasting fresh water fish this side of Walleye. Nice texture as well. So when you catch them it's a bonus, great sport and great eating.
    The Bass are some pretty fish. Here's another one I snapped a pic of in the kayak. I dragged it out of the weeds, also on a purple worm. fishnov16-2.jpg

tyeeslayer and bluestime like this.