Official Grateful Dead Thread

Been a long time but I last say them in Phila after the Touch Of Grey Disc and at the time I was very attached to the tune 900,000 Tons Of Steel. I was told that they had never played it in concert and then they played it. Jerry was doing very well that night and I am so glad I got to see him on a good day. The mushrooms helped I am sure. I will miss him.

Tapers efforts referred to as boots, bootlegs is/are very offensive to those tht recorded the shows. Its at a huge effort and expense to capture the music, and they were provided freely for people to enjoy and trade. At the other extreme are the for-profit bootlegs, which are illicit recordings that are intended to sell and profit from, totally the opposite of what people receive for free in trading loops, vines, bt's and other forms of trading.
The GD allowed us to record the music in an effort to eliminate the profiteers from selling the music by flooding the market with free live msuic.

I was a Dead taper. My first recording was in 1982, and I continued on through 1990, when the concerts became over crowded ddue to the Touch of Gray hype. My first show attended was a Hollywood Palladium gig in 1971 (maybe '72, I no longer remeber the date).

No offense taken. I/we hear it all the time, and try to correct it. In truth, its more like fingernails on a chalkboard. I apologize if I came off too strong in my post. I should have been less terse.
I still just call them tapes, or, recordings, even in this digital age - old habits....

There are, in fact, real bootlegs, bootleggers.. But they're put out by unscrupulous individuals who are into them for profit - and those recordings should be liberated. They typically contain ridiculous titles, and completely far off song names in the song lists, guessed at by people that do not know the songs.

Ugghh,… I'm typing on a new Mac keyboard these days, and it's much smaller than my old keyboard. I cannot believe the amount of typo's that these fat fingers are capable of on this smaller keyboard! ::rolls eyes smilie::

One of my favorite shows attended was an early '80s show in Salt Lake City, Ut.; '81 as I recall. There were so few people in attendance that the audience formed into a semi-small circle in front of the stage that only extended about 1/2 way back to the soundboard. The sbd was by itself far behind the crowd. Jerry was in an extremely soulful way that evening (I'm a Jerry fan first and foremost).

Mmmmm.... Loves me some Grateful Dead. This could be my new favorite thread.

Eyes Of The World: Atlanta Municipal Auditorium, 6/20/74. OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
No offense taken.
There are, in fact, real bootlegs, bootleggers.. But they're put out by unscrupulous individuals who are into them for profit

I read tales of Led Zeppelin manager Peter Grant visiting record stores and confiscating illegal "imports" in every city.
I wouldn't have wanted to be a record store owner specializing in Zep boots when he (big fella) strolled in.

"Hey man, I'll trade you a low gen Destroyer for a pair of crutches"

10-11-21_01_00_234ce95e377f84b.png

Cranking the acoustic set from 9-20-70 @ Fillmore East NYC - gd70-09-20.sbd.smith.97364.sbeok.flac16

MR > R (Buddy Miller) HEAVILY EDITED > R @ 71/2ips (Will Boswell) > CD *

Transfer info: reel > AKAI GX625 > Apogee Mini Me (24/96) > Apogee Mini
Dac (monitoring) > Wavelab 5.0 (dithered to 16/44) > CD > EAC > Wav > Flac16

01 Uncle John's Band
02 Deep Elem Blues
03 Friend of the Devil
04 Big Railroad Blues
05 Dark Hollow
06 Ripple
07 To Lay Me Down <-discarded
08 Truckin'
09 Rosalie McFall
10 Cumberland Blues
11 New Speedway Boogie
12 Brokedown Palace <-discarded (love later BP, not early)
13 Together Again (NRPS) // <-discarded

01 Intro <-added from the electric set
02 Casey Jones <-added from the electric set
03 China Cat Sunflower> <-added from the electric set
04 I Know You Rider <-added from the electric set

Now the electric set from 9-20-70 @ Fillmore East NYC

It fit on 2 discs with creative editing and I don't suffer through songs I don't like :thmbsp:

05 // Candy Man <-discarded
06 Sittin' on Top of the World
07 // Good Lovin' //
08 Big Boy Pete
09 tuning <-discarded
10 Me and My Uncle
11 Easy Wind
12 Sugar Magnolia
13 Attics of My Life<-discarded
14 Mama Tried

01 Not Fade Away >
02 Caution >
03 Feedback >
04 We Bid You Goodnight

page9-1087-full.jpg

Tapers efforts referred to as boots, bootlegs is/are very offensive to those tht recorded the shows. Its at a huge effort and expense to capture the music, and they were provided freely for people to enjoy and trade. At the other extreme are the for-profit bootlegs, which are illicit recordings that are intended to sell and profit from, totally the opposite of what people receive for free in trading loops, vines, bt's and other forms of trading.

No offense intended. They're called unreleased from now on.

Long-time taper here too, started around '73. In today's parlance the preferred term of our art is Recordings of Independent Origin or, simply, ROIOs. Audience-capture ROIOs, in most cases.

Now playing:

March 28, 1969 @ Student Center, Modesto, CA - gd69-03-28.sbd.miller.81543.sbeok.flac16

Set 1:
d1t01 - //Good Morning Little Schoolgirl
d1t02 - Dark Star ->
d1t03 - St. Stephen ->
d1t04 - The Eleven ->
d1t05 - Death Don't Have No Mercy
d2t01 - Turn On Your Lovelight

Set 2:
d2t02 - Cryptical Envelopment ->
d2t03 - Drums ->
d2t04 - The Other One ->
d2t05 - Cryptical Envelopment

4339115094_4cdf642805_z.jpg

attachment.php

Attachments

• gd69_03_28back.jpg
    gd69_03_28back.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Cranked my favorite show (International Speedway) driving through the boonies of central NH today :yes:
I have it on tape somewhere, but that old 5th gen doesn't compare to what we have available these days

Gotta love Al Gore's Internet thingamajig

International Speedway in Hollywood Fla. on December 28, 1969

Partial Show:

Good Lovin' ->
Drums ->
Good Lovin'
Cold Rain And Snow
Hard To Handle
Mason's Children
Turn On Your Love Light (cuts)

and the electric Set from McFarlin Auditorium, SMU in Dallas on December 26, 1969

*** Electric Set ***
16) [05:05] Hard To Handle
17) [05:07] Cold Rain And Snow *
01) [05:51] China Cat Sunflower-> *
02) [05:36] Jam-> I Know You Rider->
03) [08:26] High Time <-discarded
04) [00:05] stage banter
05) [03:15] Me And My Uncle
06) [02:05] stage banter
07) [23:59] Dark Star//
08) [04:11] //New Speedway Boogie
09) [00:05] stage banter
10) [14:21] Turn On Your Love Light

tumblr_m281kvslnm1qefnayo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
Cranking away on the stereo while I setup my new (to me) laptop right now:

Purdue University in Layfayette, IN on April 18, 1969

d1t01 - Hard To Handle
d1t02 - Morning Dew
d1t03 - That's It For The Other One ->
d1t04 - Sittin' On Top Of The World ->
d1t05 - I'm A King Bee
d1t06 - Doin' That Rag
d2t01 - Turn On Your Lovelight
d2t02 - Cosmic Charlie
d2t03 - Beat It On Down The Line

GratefulDead_Logo_sm.jpg

12/28/69--- They play "Masons Children." Rarity, no? I saw the Dead with Joan Osborne do it in Philly. Great tune.

Not everybody likes "Psychedelic" Dead, but these '69 shows mentioned in the last few posts are some of my favorites. I never get tired of 3/1/69.

Back
Top Bottom