Official Jolida JD9 thread

helios660

Since the JD9 is considered by many as one of the best phono stages under $500 and is such a popular option among the budget minded and DIY/modders alike, I figured Id start one of these here in an attempt collect all the information we can gather on the Jolida JD9.

Ill start by asking, what is your current JD9 setup?
What tubes have you rolled?
What have you found to be the best settings on the dip switches?
and what are your overall impressions of the Jolida JD9?

I attached the JD9 settings sheet which I have found very helpful.

UPDATE:

Quick reference:

The 3 main upgrades included in this thread are(in order of sonic impact): caps, opamps, tubes

While there are many variations in this thread, these seem to be the most popular:

Caps: Obbligato Premium Film or Claritycaps 1.0uF / 630V
attachment.php

Photo: Brett A

Opamps: Burr-Brown / TI OPA627ap or OPA637ap in all positions
attachment.php

Photo: Frank Sol

Tubes: Remove covers - insert 12ax7 of your liking. Some have used 12au7's or 5751's for lower gain without issue.

Invenio's awesome step-by-step guide:

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=invenio&folderid=6855

--

If anyone would like me to add to the quick reference, let me know.

Attachments

• JD9.jpeg
    JD9.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 2,189
Last edited:
Great idea for a thread,

I have used two different MM carts and have found the following.

V15 III w/Lpgear HE stylus

68k resistance (all resistance switches to off and loading plugs).
Both 150pF and 220pF switches on plus 100pF cables for a total of 470pF.
All gain switches off.
Hi output.

AT-20SS

47k resistance switch on.
100pF capacitance on plus 100pF cables for a total of 200pF.
All gain switches off.
Hi output.

For tubes I have rolled Telefunken's (Both types), Baldwin labeled Sylvania's, and the new Tung Sol's. The Tung Sol's won hands down for a smooth presentation from top to bottom.

These settings on my system create a nice 3D soundstage, strong tight bass, and detail without fatigue.

I love the ability to try different settings and turn off some to use loading plugs for values not available.

Bill

Last edited:
just put a pair of new sensor mullards in my JD9, they are not broken in yet, but WOW. they are silent compared to the jolida stock tubes. first impression i get is the highs are rolled off, although more impact. will update with more break in.

current config is:
1k resistance switch on
100pF switch on
all gain switches off
Hi output

Iinitially I did not like the Jolida that much, it sounded too bright to me. The brightness even got worse with Electro Harmonix Gold Pin tubes. I replaced all OP-amps with the best I could find, put Slovakian tubes from JJ in and replaced the output coupling caps with Claricaps. It sounds VERY good now.

Iinitially I did not like the Jolida that much, it sounded too bright to me. The brightness even got worse with Electro Harmonix Gold Pin tubes. I replaced all OP-amps with the best I could find, put Slovakian tubes from JJ in and replaced the output coupling caps with Claricaps. It sounds VERY good now.

what are your settings? and what tubes did it come with? ive heard some ship with gold pin EH, whereas mine came with jolida branded generics.

if you think your JD9 is too bright, the new sensor mullards are definitely a good option.

I'm still not sure which setting is better with my AT20SS Cartridge, 47 pF, low gain and low output or no gain and high output. I have
OPA627 in the output stage and LT1128 for the rest. The JJ tubes sound very warm and smooth with good detail.

Excellent idea! Thanks for the thread.

I run mine stock. It came with a pair of Electro Harmonix tubes that provide a larger, fuller sound than the Mullard reissues i tried for a while.

The only thing special I've done with mine is take the hood off (yes, i run it nude) and removed the spring-loaded tube covers. Both in an effort to reduce resonance. I can get away with it b/c it's tucked under an MDF stand i threw together (see pic).

I was running an AT150MLx when I bought mine, but soon after upgraded to an AT oc9 MLII LOMC.

The phono stage it replaced was a Cambridge 640p.

Attachments

• System Nice face 2_small.jpg
    System Nice face 2_small.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 848
op-amps

what op amps did you use, where did you get them, and does the jolida have IC sockets for easy switching? or did you have to solder it all?

Excellent thread. I'd like to get one of these units sometime in the next 6 months. I have someone here who deals with Jolida.

Last edited:
I'm still not sure which setting is better with my AT20SS Cartridge, 47 pF, low gain and low output or no gain and high output. I have
OPA627 in the output stage and LT1128 for the rest. The JJ tubes sound very warm and smooth with good detail.

would you mind going into more detail about replacing the op-amps? what it involves, and what are the differences you experienced by replacing them?

The OPA627 (for the output stage, on the circuitry located on the left side when viewed from the front) is still considered as one of the best soundig op-amps, a bit on the expensive side. The sound is warm and detailed without any trace of brittleness or this forensic touch. The LT1115 or LT1128 are super low noise op-amps, you will hardly find quieter ones.
With this combination the Jolida is dead quiet. Music appears from of a totally black background. Take the time and compare the datasheets of the different models for resudual noise.
I cannot make an A\B comparison because I just have one JD9. All I can say is that with the original tubes and OPA37 I did not like the sound so much. It was too bright, not involving, with exaggerated sybiyllants and a lean bass. My Yamaha C4 sounded significantly better. After the modification now I prefer the Jolida to the C4.
BTW, the opa's can easily be exchanged without soldering.
Beware, there is a post in another forum where a guy recommends AD843 for all stages. DO NOT follow his advice! Instead of, I quote, "nasty levels of bass" you will get nasty levels of noise! The AD843 are only useable in the output section.
Removing the covers of the tubes lets them run cooler, this may improve the sound with some tubes, e.g. the Electro Harmonix Gold which tend to sound brighter when hot.

Bump with some pics of my modified JD9.

Im using AD843KN in the output, op627 in the middle and LT1028 in the right op sockets. Ampohm output caps. Tantalum resistors and silver mica in the loading board. Amtrans carbon film resistor in series with the valve input. Cree Silicon Carbide Schottky Diodes in the power supply.

What fun :music:

Attachments

• JD9loadpcb.jpg
    JD9loadpcb.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 720
  • JD9outputcaps.jpg
    JD9outputcaps.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 596
  • JD9powersupply.jpg
    JD9powersupply.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 521
  • JD9overview.jpg
    JD9overview.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 595
The loading board is the only really difficult work. with the right tools and some patience its possible.

I am blown away at the Jolida's performance already compared to the phono stage in the Denon which was actually pretty decent. All of my vinyl listening experience done before this was on a complete Pioneer Spec setup which was unbelievable.

Do you think the mods made a huge difference or just bring out some of the more subtle sounds?

Back
Top Bottom