Official Jolida JD9 thread

I've just put a Goldpoint passive preamp and noticed distortion. I'm using the mid gain and high out put RCA sockets. I've swapped to high gain and low output sockets after reading the manual. Has anyone noticed any difference in soundstage etc between the hi and lo outputs?

Has anyone tried the Psvane Mark II valves in their JD9? I have a pair of their 12AU7’s from my old Vincent PHO-700 that I want to,try but have read that it he AU’s might not be a good application. I would like to hear other experiences before just popping them in and possibly ruining them.

Greetings. I am new to the JD9 but lucked out and just landed one. Tungsol 12ax7 in it. Way too much gain and bright in my setup not nessesarily jd9 issue because I have new mm cart running and it is stiff. switched to tungstrams I have 12au7 and it calmed right down with more bottom end. Much better but this jd is still new to me. I am not recommending a rare NOS au in there but so far so good on mine. Howlin Wolfe London sesions digg it.

Turns out mine has upgrade. Obbligato caps. 637 amps all 6. With the help of this thread and another 20 minutes to conclude my jd9 is too hot for a MM cart. I have a Cambridge CP1 and a parks budgie. The jd9 is bottled up. Too much gain. All switches down except four (4). It's like the sound is packed up and jumps out in rhythm but not smooth. I have MC @ .3 mv coming. Hopefully the machine can handle that low level with a better grasp of the situation.

637 amps all 6
It's been awhile and I don't use my JD9 anymore, so I'm a little fuzzy on this detail.
Read into the thread about the 3 OPA stages. I believe one stage is unity gain and OPA637 is only stable at gain equal to or greater than 5.
OPA627 is stable at unity gain.
Sorry I can't be more specific..it's in the thread.

I have MC @ .3 mv coming. Hopefully the machine can handle that low level with a better grasp of the situation.
I think the JD9 is too hot for high output MM. It worked fine with my 0.5 mv MI Grado.

I know there are many combos for the op amps. Yeah I see the spec sheet info on the 637 and gain unstabilty may be a culprit in more ways than one. I don't pretend to understand the missgivings in this circuit. I can't flaw the detail that the jd9 has it really reaches in but I think it's over extending.

I was quite pleased with getting this unit the other day unbenouced to me the upgrades were done. I will stick with it for a term on the Dynavector mc and P6 when ever that shows up. Reading the dynavector 20x2l I have coming may mate up better. Probably split the difference find some 5751 at that point to have a go. Anyhow great thread thanks heyraz and others, more to follow. TJ.

Use the Low Output RCA's - set all the gain settings to off. The double bank of 3 to the right.
Left bank of 8
123 off - 4 on or off - experiment with 5,6,7,8 - one on with all the others off for the best sound.

Attachments

• JD9.jpeg
    JD9.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 29
I don't think capacitance is going to solve the overcrowded circuits. The thing is just forcing anything over 1.5 mv though itself. You can't push a golf ball through a 1/2 inch hose

You should be able to play any mm with all three gain switches set to off (down) and using the low output. Especially with a 12au7. This is a 35 dB gain setting with a 12ax7.

If not then something in the mods is wrong. Is the attention voltage divider resistor network in place between the high and low outputs?

You should be able to play any mm with all three gain switches set to off (down) and using the low output. Especially with a 12au7. This is a 35 dB gain setting with a 12ax7.

If not then something in the mods is wrong. Is the attention voltage divider resistor network in place between the high and low outputs?
I think what he's saying is it sounds like the input of the JD9 is being overloaded by the high output cartridges, which was my impression as well.
I have both high (5mv) and low (0.5mv) output versions of Grado's Sonata1 and tried them both set appropriately on my JD9.
The low output version was the less congested sounding cartridge. The voltage divider circuit at the outputs works, but it's a piss poor compromise fix. The gain should be accurately set at the solid state board, not attenuated before the outputs.

The JD9's goals were met. It can handle any cartridge you throw at it, but I think it does some better than others.
In my opinion, I think the JD9 is best suited for use with low output cartridges.

So running a new mc cart tonight got my dv20x2l. Jd9 is performing in a much better way. 1k load and gain on hi mc. Tonal quality aside I can surely tell the pre is operating within its boundarys now. Gain seems spot on as I can use my amp volume control as per usual line input. Some noticeable issues. Without the needle dropped I am picking up faint radio signal.:confused: I am using a rega so no table grounding. Drop the needle and it's gone. Move the pre output interconnects around and the radio signal cuts in out. Did this dyna come with a built in tuner lol?

Followed best practice. Turn table Leeds to pre. The P6 rega leads are very pliable and singles. The P1 are bonded pair. Ran an easy twist all through on the new P6 leads to jd9 defeated most interference. So story goes high gain makes the leads into antenna. Next,,,

Gonna try some psvane 12au.

So I read 20 pages or so.. sorry if this has been covered already but I started having a weird poppping static-type noise with my stock (except for tubes) 8 yr old Jd9 and figured it's time for a re-cap. Found this thread and plan on doing opamps and output caps but my instinct is to do the power supply caps while I'm in there and was wondering if there's any point in going bigger on the values for the PS caps or just replacing with new good quality electrolytics with the same values- folks who have done the PS caps- thoughts?

For static...
Turn the preamp off and exercise the dip switches up and down.
Reposition the tube pins for better contact. Corrosion may be creating a resistance between the tube pins an sockets.
Remove and re-insert op-amps for the same reasons as above.

For static...
Turn the preamp off and exercise the dip switches up and down.
Reposition the tube pins for better contact. Corrosion may be creating a resistance between the tube pins an sockets.
Remove and re-insert op-amps for the same reasons as above.
Thanks. I don’t think it’s actually static. I think one or more of the pwr supply caps is bad. In fact it looks like one is leaking. Also I got a pop through the speakers when turning off the TT motor (when using the JD9 but not direct into the integrated’s phono pre) Just wanted to know If there’s any point in going with higher spec caps there when I replace them

Thx

8 year old caps really shouldn't fail and leak. Especially in that unit, it doesn't get very hot in there
Noise is in both channels, right?
Ground wire from TT to JD9 is intact, right?

Back
Top Bottom