Official Jolida JD9 thread

Ground was checked. Two different TT/tonearm/cable set ups. The problem is in the unit. And having been a PC tech at the turn of the century during the great counterfeit cap debacle im not surpeised to see a leaking 8 yr old cap. In any case I’m replacing them. Was just looking for info on what other mods to the pwr supply folks have done. From scanning the thread it appears replacing (and maybe bypassing) those caps and upgrading the diodes seems to be the thing

Ground was checked. Two different TT/tonearm/cable set ups. The problem is in the unit. And having been a PC tech at the turn of the century during the great counterfeit cap debacle im not surpeised to see a leaking 8 yr old cap. In any case I’m replacing them. Was just looking for info on what other mods to the pwr supply folks have done. From scanning the thread it appears replacing (and maybe bypassing) those caps and upgrading the diodes seems to be the thing

Replaced PS caps. Problems are gone. Now to upgrade the opamps and output caps :)

index.php

Attachments

• DEE7E751-0F88-4BF3-AB21-34A3C33FB4C2.jpeg
    DEE7E751-0F88-4BF3-AB21-34A3C33FB4C2.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 138
Definitely too expensive. Listen to your preamp "as is" and think about what it is you don't like before spending another cent.

I suggest you replace the op-amps with Burr Brown OPA-627. It is easy to do as they all have sockets, just pull out the old and press in the new, no soldering. Also replace the Chinese or Russian tubes with NOS Telefunken 12AX7's . I have used just about all brands and found that these sound the best. This thread is long and has many suggestions for upgrading the JD9. While Underwood's upgrade program is good, I think most of us here think it is overpriced and rather experiment ourselves.

I did most of the usual mods including op amp and vintage tube upgrades but the one mod that made a huge difference were the Obligato Gold caps. P1010006.jpg

I agree with the upgraded caps, mine have Clarity caps and the JD9 does benefit from an after market power cord too. I am using a Kimber PK14.

Would anyone happen to know the appropriate settings for an Rega Exact 2 mm cartridge or maybe a starting point

Thanks!

I just started using an aftermarket power cord from Pangea, AC14SE MK II (no affiliation). It is not super expensive but very well made with a Cardas core wrapped by Litz and OFC. Very well shielded 14 gauge and nicely braided, and still affordable.

So far I am noticing a quieter background, something that had alluded me. After a few days I’ll put the old cable back in, that will tell me a lot. My JD9 has all the usual mods and a few other tweaks but my first reaction is that this power cable is well worth the investment.

0CCECE5A-A5B8-468A-BE0B-582A2075E041.jpeg

Last edited:
After three days of listening to the JD9 with the Pangea 14SE MK II power cord I put the stock cord back on.

Blah! The hot sound was back. The noise floor comes up and interferes with music. It’s not hard to hear this.

This phono stage benefits from a higher quality cord as many others will attest.

I pulled the trigger! The Pangea 14SE MK II power cord will arrive in a few days. Really excited to see what effect it will have.

Question for you guys with the power cord upgrades, any of you use a power conditioner as well?

My JD9 has significant background hiss. I'm using Telefunken 12ax7's, Audyn caps and 4 637's and 2 627's. I've tried multiple different 12au7's and 12ax7's, 1028's, etc...the hiss never gives up. I've routed cables every which way, no relief. I'm living with it as the JD9 has been better sounding than other MC pre's I've tried, but...it's really annoying.

I opened up the power supply yesterday and took a real close look around. I found this:
enhance

Other than that everything looks ok. I'm going to read up on the power supply mods.

Yes, I use a power conditioner and voltage regulator. You would be amazed at the voltage variability that I see in my local power grid (like swings of 10 volts). Also, you should have a good surge protector and I like the ability to cut the power to everything 100% when not in use. I use an APC H15BLK AV 1.5kVA H Type Power Conditioner.

Question for you guys with the power cord upgrades, any of you use a power conditioner as well?

My JD9 has significant background hiss. I'm using Telefunken 12ax7's, Audyn caps and 4 637's and 2 627's. I've tried multiple different 12au7's and 12ax7's, 1028's, etc...the hiss never gives up. I've routed cables every which way, no relief. I'm living with it as the JD9 has been better sounding than other MC pre's I've tried, but...it's really annoying.

I opened up the power supply yesterday and took a real close look around. I found this:
enhance

Other than that everything looks ok. I'm going to read up on the power supply mods.

Yes, I use a power conditioner in addition to the aftermarket power cord.

The JD9 is not a quiet unit, the background is not black enough for my liking so I only use it on occasion. The things you are doing will help. You can replace the power supply caps with better quality parts and replace the diodes with faster low noise diodes. It will help some.

Back
Top Bottom