Official Kef LS50 owners thread

I noticed them really sounding sweet in early December. It was right around my birthday and I'd just gotten loads of new music between that and RSD. The bass (sans subs) came into it's own and any hint of shoutiness disappeared. I just found myself forgetting about the speakers and being deeply engaged in the music. New things are still jumping out on familiar recordings.

Bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah okay, so a while then.

Well, they are certainly getting better and better every day. It's like falling in love with them all over again :banana:

I've also been enjoying classical on these recently. And, wow, are these ever good with this genre. The recording quality shines and the neutral tone makes them a treat. I've never listened to much classical before, and wow is it ever good through the LS50s!

You get yours this upcoming Tuesday right?

That's the ETA from UPS. I won't get them connected until Thursday night (which is my Friday). I work long days Monday thru Thursday and have Friday through Sunday off. I have a concert to attend next Friday night so I will get some listening in Thursday night and Friday before we head out of town for the concert.

That's the ETA from UPS. I won't get them connected until Thursday night (which is my Friday). I work long days Monday thru Thursday and have Friday through Sunday off. I have a concert to attend next Friday night so I will get some listening in Thursday night and Friday before we head out of town for the concert.

Ahh okay :)

It'll be over before ya know it.. hopefully!

Maybe just let them run on your system for a while to help break them in. They definitely need it.

Ahh okay :)

It'll be over before ya know it.. hopefully!

Maybe just let them run on your system for a while to help break them in. They definitely need it.

With these wonderful Spendor's it'll be hard to tear myself away!

I remember how painful the break in was for both my Dynaudio's and the Spendor's.

With these wonderful Spendor's it'll be hard to tear myself away!

I remember how painful the break in was for both my Dynaudio's and the Spendor's.

Hehe yeah I could understand that.

The break in so far hasn't been so bad, they've been really enjoyable to listen to thus far, so it likely won't be so bad for you. But, I know I am still missing some of that magic they had when I listened to the loaner pair.

Ah okay, so a while then.

Well, they are certainly getting better and better every day. It's like falling in love with them all over again :banana:

I've also been enjoying classical on these recently. And, wow, are these ever good with this genre. The recording quality shines and the neutral tone makes them a treat. I've never listened to much classical before, and wow is it ever good through the LS50s!

I've seen only too many audiophiles who began to dig classical after they started to listen to refined gear.

I took both a classical and a jazz course in college. The latter is definitely winning out and it sounds amazing on the KEFs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've seen only too many audiophiles who began to dig classical after they started to listen to refined gear.

Y'know, that makes sense.

I don't listen to classical very much, and pretty much ignored it until a few years ago, but there's one Bach recording that I am especially fond of, "The Art of the Fugue," conducted by Neville Marriner back around '74. I recently made some upgrades to my system, and the last time I played that record, I darn near cried, it was so gorgeous and feeling in the music was so real.

It's now been a week since I took delivery of my LS50's, and in the past couple of days they have noticeably opened up more. The mids in particular are rounder and smoother, the imaging seems to have popped into more vivid 3D, and the detail overall has taken on deeper layers of nuance.

It's now been a week since I took delivery of my LS50's, and in the past couple of days they have noticeably opened up more. The mids in particular are rounder and smoother, the imaging seems to have popped into more vivid 3D, and the detail overall has taken on deeper layers of nuance.

I'm beginning to notice similar things - the highs are changing quite a bit the more I listen. More open, more transparent, more vivid sounding. I think I have close to 20 hours on mine now.

Edit: Wow, these are really starting to open up! I'm much closer to the sound I heard on the loaners now. :banana:

Last edited:

That is very true. Fortunately I have loved Classical since I was a child and watched the Boston Symphony (not the Pops) on TV.

That's a sweet deal, over 33% off retail. Someone could try out these excellent little speakers for a lot less :)

Well I must say these Kefs just keep sounding better and better. I finally obtained some spikes for the stands I have them on and also filled the stands with sand. This made a welcome improvement to the overall balance and bass. Tightened things up a lot. I've also got the positioning, toe in and listening spot all dialed in. I was listening to a couple tracks from the Avatar movie soundtrack and I haven't got goosebumps like that before. These little buggers never cease to amaze me!

I also decided to rearrange my room a little and this definitely improved the sound.

2e3edavu.jpg

Last edited:
Subscribed. I'm on the fence and this thread is on the verge of pushing me over.

If you're that strongly considering it, I would see if you can find a dealer nearby that will let you audition a pair in home.

The LS50s strong points are basically neutral tonality, voices and instruments have impeccable timbre. Very good detail resolution, it's like sticking your head into the recording. Imaging is really good but a bit odd because of how close I am sitting to them, not that there's anything wrong with this, you definitely get a 3 dimensional stage when set up right. And the bass is pretty good too, good enough that depending on what you listen to you won't need to add a sub to be satisfied. Also, they are really good at pulling the emotion out of the music. They're not overwhelming or underwhelming either, I find they match the intent of the music very well.

I'd say if you value a speaker that sounds like the real thing (aka uncoloured) and you have a smaller room the LS50 is a winner. Last night I really wondered how it could sound any better - if you get a chance, check out Diana Krall's live in Paris album on a pair of these Kefs. It's really something else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom