Official Kef LS50 owners thread

You got some Nielsen there Art? Let's see if the KEF can handle the finale of the Inextinguishable!

You got some Nielsen there Art? Let's see if the KEF can handle the finale of the Inextinguishable!

Oh yes I have Nielsen. Both orchestral and chamber works. I listened to a two disc set of symphonies a couple of weekends ago. I've got a couple of very busy weekends ahead. So I won't get in as much music as I like but I will definitely find time for some classical.

I have to tell you that my initial impressions (which I know better than to take seriously) are better than positive. I have never heard a speaker quite like it. Very different presentation. Just unravels music and presents it in a way that always makes sense. I'm really looking forward to spending a couple of hrs with them tomorrow night.

I knew your initial impressions were going to be positive, Art ;) I'm looking forward to hearing what you think when you've put them through the paces! And just think, they are fresh out of the box right now. They get better as they break in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool. Look forward to seeing your comparo with the 10.1s and Spendor.

The most direct comparison I will be able to give soon will be the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's and Quad 11L Classics. Perhaps the X12's later. Unfair comparison to the Spendors...although I have a feeling that there are things that KEF's do that the Spendors can't.

Yesterday I spent considerable time comparing the 10.1's and Quad 11L's and the Quads really shone themselves to be a far better transducer. The Quads are more detailed and refined with better LF extension and dynamics. There is no measuring stick that I could use that has the 10.1 coming close to the Quads. This is going to be fun. What is blowing my mind is how good these speakers (all of them) sound with the Marantz AVR and CD player.

I will probably drag out the X12's in a couple of weeks. They are residing in my wife's setup and I will ask her permission first (as a courtesy).

I see why John called the KEF's a game changer.

Just of curiosity, and maybe it is premature for you to be answering this, the Kef's are for your AV system or are you going to place them in your office space along side with the spendors?
The run in of the kef's will be faster if they play every day in your AV to watch TV.
But you have to connect them to the Sonneteer to judge them properly, right?:scratch2:

I watch TV through my TV speakers and not the AV system. I only fire up the AV system on Friday night for a movie and for the Super Bowl (for me) and Academy Awards (for her). In the summer I turn on the AV system on Friday and Saturday nights as movie night is suspended and we retire to the backyard. The AV system provides the music for summer backyard and patio listening.

There is not enough room in the office for 2 pairs of speakers. As far as needing to connect them to the Campion, not really. One can do comparisons without it. I have heard most of my speakers in the context of the AV setup. I also hope that my dealer will be bringing a special amp or two up for comparison.

We'll see....lots of fun to be had!!!:thmbsp:

I will probably drag out the X12's in a couple of weeks. They are residing in my wife's setup and I will ask her permission first (as a courtesy).

I see why John called the KEF's a game changer.

Really Art? I just got my X12's.

Guys I think I have one more tweak I need to do!

The stands I have also have holes on the plate where the speaker sits to hold spikes. I am wondering if you guys might know what I should use here to help isolate the speaker more? I think this will clean up the sound even more.

Thoughts?

I think spiking has the effect of coupling the speakers with the surface, as opposed to decoupling.

Guys I think I have one more tweak I need to do!

The stands I have also have holes on the plate where the speaker sits to hold spikes. I am wondering if you guys might know what I should use here to help isolate the speaker more? I think this will clean up the sound even more.

Thoughts?

BlueTak/BlueStik?

My wife said she is good with me bringing out the X12's for a comparison when the KEF's are broken in. I may drag out the Brio R for the comparison. Lots of fun over the next few of weeks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom