OFFICIAL. Official Winter Storm Grayson/Brody/"Bombogenesis" thread.

We ended up with a foot or so of snow here in WMass. I went out around 5:30 to clear off the driveway and it was windy, constantly blowing snow in your face. Still windy now and cold AF. Not the storm of the century, but still pretty nasty.

Can local emergency response sue the networks for drumming this sort of thing completely out of proportion?

Film at 11 ... <G>

And yah ... I also don't understand the last minute hoarders. I've always got at least a month's supply of food here, and can do without perishables for a while as I raid my stash of dry goods. Oil heat, and if I lose electric so the furnace won't run, a couple propane radiant heaters on the walls. Those quit, several cords of wood and a big stove. Extra meds if I need them. Oil hurricane lamps and matches, as well as LED camping lanterns and batteries. Twenty gallons of distilled water, and I can chip a hole in the pond for toilet water or boil more for drinking if I need it.

It's called planning ahead, eh.

Looks like by 8 tonight we may have -40 to -54f .Ive lit the garage to hangout there for a change from the house .Wonder how long it will take the maple to heat her up.Up at camp its usually 10 to 15 cooler in the winter than in town so at camp I could easily see -60 with windchill.

sKIZo

For me. I usually eat at my job for free(2 to 3 meals a day/6 days a week), and when I buy too much food. It goes to waste. I'm just not home often enough to eat it. So I buy as needed only. We do have plenty of stuff in like canned goods. But I just ran out of bread anyway, and would have bought it that night as normal. I grabbed a little extra just in case, but not much. I spent $47, and that included a $10 chocolate cream pie.

But I could have lived off canned goods if I had too. It would affect my health though. I have high blood pressure, and that stuff is loaded in sodium.

Plus you have people with kids who want to be sure they're set for a few days just in case. We all live different ways. Besides. The food won't go to waste most likely. You can eat it, freeze it whatever.

Our house is like a bunker food and fuel wise and could hold out for months with 2 full deep freezes, a large pantry, full tanks kept on all vehicles, including the boat, chainsaw gas, and ammo components for if we are riding out some future storm of geo or political bent. The only thing we would suffer from is in winter and lack of fresh veggies, and things like cheese and eggs.. Anything that can't be stored dry or frozen.

Don't think you have to worry about hoards of zombies Alobar.Maybe hoards of killer bunnies and moose,lol.:) and for everyone of those you shoot you add to the larder.

I guess you have to where you're at huh?

I think more people would do that. Unfortunately not everyone has the money to though.

I guess you have to where you're at huh?

I think more people would do that. Unfortunately not everyone has the money to though.
That is too bad really as if there are interruptions in the food chain, if everyone would have a reserve there would be far less social unrest, but few think about it, and it isn't exactly encouraged from the gov either. I think more would store up food if they knew just how fast a huge grocery store will empty without being constantly stocked.. If people would just stack up some can goods, tuna, PB, and those big bags of rice they would be better off than most and it doesn't cost at all... Starvation sucks..

My wife's and my food preferences make it economically feasible to order meat in bulk (all grass fed) and we also keep a lot of local fish, salmon, halibut, etc in the freezer. I don't hunt, but if I did a moose will feed a family of 5 for a year and is damn good healthy protein but since there is only the 2 of us it is way overkill. I would pick more berries but lately been too busy and by the time I get around to it, they are spent. We do have 2 small grocery stores here, IGA types, and they get produce in once a week on the barge from Seattle and we have some garden beds and a greenhouse of sorts for summer.

Sounds like you're doing fine. Quite well actually. I think many people have a good amount of stuff in the pantry. But they would do better with a more comprehensive plan. By that I mean. They are definitely lacking some things they should have. And it wouldn't be hard to just keep an inventory, and rotate the goods. But we're spoiled. I live within a short drive of at least 20 supermarkets, and within an hour of probably well over 100. Basically all of them are stocked daily.

Here's an article that I'm not sure if the same exact one I read. But it's about the same guy, and tells the same story on how lacking we are at forecasting in this country.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/...-us-better-at-predicting-extreme-weather.html

Well if everything goes to heck I'm walking to your house Alobar ,hmmm halibut.P.S.after all heck breaks out expect a dinner guest 2 years later.No better make that 4 ,lol.On the weather forecasting front lake superior makes fools out of them daily.Last year me and a friend cancelled a fishing trip because 5 weather channels said it was going to rain bigtime 100 percent.Turned out to be 100 percent sunshine.

The most annoying part about all this is the wind. I have some things I could stand to do out in the garage, but being a pole barn its really difficult to heat when its this windy. I do have to admit being bored and annoyed with the constant panic about every single thing. Its winter, we're all gonna turn into ice cubes. Its raining, we're all gonna wash away. Its summer, we're all gonna melt. Buy all of the things in all of the stores, you will never be able to leave your home again forever.

The weather panic word of the month is interesting though. Bomb Cyclone. I wonder what the next one will be.

I'm with you on the wind. By far and away the most annoying.

That term? I dunno. They've been swearing it's an actual term that meteorologists use. And that it had to do with the center of the storm dropping at least 24 millibars in pressure (this was supposed to drop 36, and they say that's a lot) from the surface all the way to space basically. Or at least the top of the atmosphere anyway.

I've never heard it before. But it sounds real familiar. Like my 7th, or 8th grade science teacher (Mr. Buck) had said it before. He was big into the weather, and I can picture him saying it too. But maybe that's because he had a speech impediment that I'll never forget. LOL

He certainly said things like cumulus nimbus enough anyway. LOL

Oh man. So as if this weather isn't bad enough to deal with on its own, and all the other nonsense in general. I get a call at work tonight letting me know the furnace/hot water heater combo isn't working.

Okay I'll cut out early. Go to the Walmart, and buy some heaters. Then I'll be home. Umm no! No heaters anywhere at all. Okay we've got a few. We've got a gas stove, and gas fireplace thingie. We're good. Just call someone to come tomorrow to fix it. No problem.

Umm I'm not so sure about that. I called our local big time company, because well they're big time. They have emergency numbers, and are open on the weekends, or at least Saturday.

Wednesday! That's the earliest they can come. Wednesday! WTF?

So I'm staying up tonight just to keep an eye on everything till like 6am. Then I'm handing the job over, and someone else is going to have to call around, because I have to get some sleep so I can work tonight. But I'm afraid I'm going to wake up to the news that no one is coming for sure. SMH

So it seems that everyone else is in the same boat? I assume anyway. Anyone else on here have problems with any of their appliances in this weather recently? It sure seems that a ton of people are anyway.

This kinda goes back to the weather reporting thing too though. They said it was going to be a mild winter a few months ago. And even though it was acting up a little we put it off for one more year. Now mind you. It's been doing the same thing for years now. Just a little more frequent. And we've tried to get it fixed, but everyone we've called hasn't been competent enough to nail down the problem. And said we could spend money, but no promises.

So we're planning on replacing it anyway, but wanted to wait till next year. Well this year now. In the summer to do it. Looks like that plan may change. At least the part about not spending money on it till summer is anyway. We'll see I guess. SMH

I just hope it's a simple igniter, or something. Anything simple. Just so we can get it working. Arggghhhh! LOL

I swear just because I'm Irish. Murphys Law has to kick in full effect on my whole life (My Mom's maiden name is Murphy even). LOL

I'm with you on the wind. By far and away the most annoying.

That term? I dunno. They've been swearing it's an actual term that meteorologists use. And that it had to do with the center of the storm dropping at least 24 millibars in pressure (this was supposed to drop 36, and they say that's a lot) from the surface all the way to space basically. Or at least the top of the atmosphere anyway.

I've never heard it before. But it sounds real familiar. Like my 7th, or 8th grade science teacher (Mr. Buck) had said it before. He was big into the weather, and I can picture him saying it too. But maybe that's because he had a speech impediment that I'll never forget. LOL

He certainly said things like cumulus nimbus enough anyway. LOL
The term has been around since the 80's but the press plays it up like the world is suddenly coming unhinged.

We got about a foot here. Gave the snowblower a bit of a hard time, but we managed to clear the driveway just fine. The real fun part, to me, is the single digit temperatures following it. Had to re-do the foam weatherstripping shoved down inside the window panes because the old stuff was disintegrating and letting the cold in. As long as we have enough oil for the furnace, we oughta be fine. Got gas for the generator just in case (needed to use it quite a bit during the windstorm this past October, when our power was out for two days), but the power has held thus far ***KNOCK ON WOOD***.

As for the 'scare tactics' from the weather reporters, this image I found posted on another forum seems to fit:
166806768.afrvDB6k.untitled.png

It is a pretty great term. Bombogenesis! And Bomb Cyclone! I mean wow talk about scare tactics. Lol

And that meme couldn't possibly be anymore true. smh

Back
Top Bottom