OFFICIAL. Official Winter Storm Grayson/Brody/"Bombogenesis" thread.

Even if it is a legitimate term, it really just sounds like someone dug out a book of obscure weather condition names and found one that sounded menacing. Remember Polar Vortex from a year or so ago? Apparently also a real term but not one I'd ever heard before. Its kinda like the management buzz-word of the moment. Its some nonsense that someone thought sounded good and it became the word to use for a while.

As someone said, cyclonic bomb is a defined term and its is a rare event so no one hears about it. However, in today's news cycles it is a weaponized term.

Polar vortex is also a clearly defined atmospheric dynamical term- planetary atmospheric scientists use the term also.

whatever happened to: its winter, its cold out, might even snow, but in a few months it will be summer and it might get warm and you might sweat

the weather forecasts of the roaring 20's!

We only had a few inches of snow in the Yorktown, VA area. But it has been crazy cold. Approaching 11AM and its still in the low 20s here, and tonight's lows are predicted to be in the high single digits. That is very unusual for this part of the world. We normally expect highs in the 40s this time of year, perhaps 30s at night.

That's OK though. We will be spotting over-enthusiastic crocuses in a just a few weeks and we generally see a few days of T-shirt weather in February.:)

I just remembered that I am flying out to central FL for a week tomorrow morning (work-related).
Hopefully, this weather is over for them. I won't pack any shorts, though.

With all the "bomb" references, the CIA's automatic hot topic word search engines have got to be going crazy ...

bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb

It's da bomb! :D

Last night should be about it for the sub zero stuff here. Low only (only?) down to 7F tonite, so I should be able to enable the setback thermostat again without worrying about freezing pipes. Save a couple bucks anyway.

Here's a thought - wonder if the Shipt and similar grocery shopping services have an option to just go in and get whatever they can for hoarders? I know you can check off either "exact match" or "use your own discretion" when it comes to your shopping list.

To circle back to something I wrote earlier, even though the downside to the various predictions of Armageddon over 3 inches of snow are annoying, there is a plus side. With the current state of weather satellites and prediction we will not get blind-sided by a monster storm, such as the 1938 hurricane that lay waste across much of New England. If you've never heard of it, there's a nice write-up here: https://www.boston.com/weather/weather/2013/09/21/the_great_hurricane_of_1938-75

I'd hate to see how a storm like that would get 'promoted' by the media. Someday we will get one of these again.

And back to the current conditions, we're supposed to go below 0F tonight...but back to more normal temps in a couple days.

39cross

Very interesting article. I love reading local history like that where I've lived through some of it, and been to practically all the towns mentioned. That hurricane, also known as the Long Island Express, was no joke. I remember my grandmother talking about it. It completely destroyed 1st beach in Newport RI (my hometown). There used to be a boardwalk, a Rollercoaster, and a Carousel too. They claim that there's still pieces of it in the reservoir across the street from it. With reports of carousel horses sticking up out of the water during droughts.

There was a very interesting special on PBS about that. It was made here locally. I remember seeing it on the RI PBS station decades ago. It had pictures of downtown Providence being flooded, and interviews with people that lived through it told through actors though IIRC. If you ever get a chance. Check it out. I've no idea how to find it though.

Carol in 56' I think it was is another local legend around here. I remember my father telling me that he was working painting a house that day down the hill from where he grew up right off lower Thames St. He went home early as the wind picked up. And he said it got so bad on the way home that he could lean into the wind at an extreme angle, and it would hold him up. He said it was much more severe then Gloria, or Bob. Both of which I remember well. I'm not sure if that was true, or not. But that's what he said.

To be fair- we Lake Erie pussies...

Try the Dakotas or Alaska for temps
Try the White Mountains for windchills
Try Yellowstone or around Rainier for snow

and for now,
Try Boston for flash frozen record flooding

Lake Erie pussies? Unlike around Lake Erie the people in those other places never had to deal with the Iroquois.

Carol in 56' I think it was is another local legend around here. I remember my father telling me that he was working painting a house that day down the hill from where he grew up right off lower Thames St. He went home early as the wind picked up. And he said it got so bad on the way home that he could lean into the wind at an extreme angle, and it would hold him up. He said it was much more severe then Gloria, or Bob. Both of which I remember well. I'm not sure if that was true, or not. But that's what he said.
My Mom used to talk about Hurricane Carol as well. It must have been a bad one.
Interesting reminiscences about the '38 hurricane in Newport. Now that I'm writing '38 Hurricane, I realize this was before the naming convention came about. Perhaps that was in response to better weather prediction with radar, post WWII.

And back to today, -5F when I got up. Business as usual in the North Country, but damned cold here.

Yea they say Carol says. My Mom still talks of it too, but I've seen data on it, and it wasn't crazy. Similar to Gloria and Bob IIRC maybe a smidge worse. It was a long time ago that I read it. But I remember reading it, and was going to bring it up to my father. Then I thought better of it. Probably just rile him up.

"You didn't live through it I did. It was much worse. I don't care what you read. It was 5 times as bad as this storm. You've never seen anything like that" LOL

I love hearing all the stories and folk lore. I know it's not all true. But who cares. I would rather listen to some old dude tell stories then watch TV any day of the week.

And yea. The naming thing was just to avoid confusion for multiple storms in a season or different regions, and to streamline communications. It's easier to write Sandy then "the early fall hurricane of 2012 that hit the east coast".

Yes, during the 1930’s we had the worst winters one right after another until after WWII. People were driving their model T’s on frozen rivers to include everything was frozen all the way to Oregon. My mother has pictures to prove it. But we didn’t have storms that that pulled weather systems out of the artic with a reach so far south it pulled up warm moisture from the tropics. Avoidance, selective thought and recall won’t make Mother Nature play nice.....and what if that record winter storm had its epic center make landfall? People just don’t know how lucky they got with only a handful of people dying....

It’s a new splendid lady come to call

It’s the new Mother Nature taking over.....

Like, how many large storms do we have to have before people wise up ????

How many did we have last summer ???

Just checked England’s weather and they are also had record low temps on the fifth of January...

And record highs in Sidney Australia. It's definitely changing. And not preparing, and not doing anything is only going to cost more. And kill more people. But the people who are in charge only care about buying a gold toilet seat for their mansion. And winning! We're doomed as a species if things don't change. But who knows. We probably are anyway if we don't move to other planets. History proves that. I only concern myself about it so much though. I couldn't change much of anything. Even if I tried. It is what it is. smh

Any members live in Siberia?Comes to cold nasty weather, they win! I watched a doc about a group that trecked into deepest darkest Siberia way back when and built a community.They didn't even know ww2 happened!Very hard life .

Oh yeah. It snowed in New York City last Thursday. It was also cold and windy. I went to the store several times. Was there a bigger story?
;)

I think what makes it harder for lots of community's is they are frankly just not capable of snow removal .In 95 we had a massive snow storm that dumped 60 inches in a day and a half and 98 inches in less than 20 odd days.My town carried on like nobodies business where as soo Michigan needed the nat guard to help as they just didn't have the snow removal equipment.To the everlasting glee of us northerners the much hated Toronto had to call out the army.

"To the everlasting glee of us northerners the much hated Toronto had to call out the army."

Let me guess. That's a hockey team thing right?

Kinda like Boston and New York with their sports teams. Or does it go deeper then that?

I think what makes it harder for lots of community's is they are frankly just not capable of snow removal .In 95 we had a massive snow storm that dumped 60 inches in a day and a half and 98 inches in less than 20 odd days.My town carried on like nobodies business where as soo Michigan needed the nat guard to help as they just didn't have the snow removal equipment.To the everlasting glee of us northerners the much hated Toronto had to call out the army.

No I don't. LOL

I wish I knew more. But I live in America. So I'm not privy to all that. Lol

I assume they're very cosmopolitan? LOL

Oh, and for what it's worth. Nobody here thinks Toronto is anything special. I'm way more fascinated with the history of Quebec. And being A Red Sox fan. Toronto can kiss my arse! LOL

Back
Top Bottom