Oh boy!.....got one!! Sx 1980!!!! Booyah!

anderslober

Yikes...not again!
Hello Forum...........after a 3-4 year hunt(and a missed opportunity in Hong Kong........ARKAY has that one!), I managed to find a massively banged up sx1980 on the 'Bay yesterday. I probably over-paid a bit(1000 smack-daba-roonies!) + s/h, but I am happy as can be anyway. I am going to make an effort to get it running again.

The unit was/is in rough shape. It didn't have a top metal(if anyone has a top cover..pm me) or bottom cover(found a bottom cover over at Danny's). The rear panel shielding was gone(found one at Danny's). One of the rectifier shields was missing(found one at Danny's). The wooden case was missing all 4 screws. The relays were missing there covers too. 4 knobs(bass/treble) and two lever knobs were missing also. BUT, other than that....it looks original from the few undetailed photos supplied. The seller said it powered ON, all lights working, no output(I am hoping this was because of the missing jumpers)If not...then I have a REAL problem. AFAICT from the few photos, the insides look ok. I asked the seller quite a few questions......he wasn't so forthcoming with info as I would have liked............anyway, lets see if we cant get this sucka' going again.:thmbsp:

The unit is multi-voltage and from the 'newer' series production....should be good.:tresbon:

I have nearly 200 bucks in parts sunk in it already....and I haven't even seen the unit yet:yikes:

All you fellas out there with a sx1980....I need one you to take a few detailed photos of the (especially)underside and amp modules. This so I can compare with photos of my unit, which is right now in the delicate hands of UPS.:worried:

This is a TRUE project in the best sense of the word. EW, MTF, Avionic, Kevzep , other great tech's/diy's......are you guys ready?;-))):thmbsp: I should have the unit in my hands in a couple of weeks.

Attachments

• DSC_0106.jpg
    DSC_0106.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 424
  • 544E28CBAB4642C280D5BCFBB970554E.jpeg
    544E28CBAB4642C280D5BCFBB970554E.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 487
  • 7EB2B7E2721F4871950D4E61DD5DEA2A.jpg
    7EB2B7E2721F4871950D4E61DD5DEA2A.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 231
  • 25FB81A39B9B46BEA41AB3D6D84B38D9.jpeg
    25FB81A39B9B46BEA41AB3D6D84B38D9.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 265
  • 890BEAA1A4BE418081223C7C71660FBD.jpg
    890BEAA1A4BE418081223C7C71660FBD.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Based on how excited you are about this, I would say the price is right. :thmbsp: good luck getting this beast back up and running

Hello Forum...........after a 3-4 year hunt(and a missed opportunity in Hong Kong........ARKAY has that one!), I managed to find a massively banged up sx1980 on the 'Bay yesterday. I probably over-paid a bit(1000 smack-daba-roonies!) + s/h, but I am happy as can be anyway. I am going to make an effort to get it running again.

The unit was/is in rough shape. It didn't have a top metal(if anyone has a top cover..pm me) or bottom cover(found a bottom cover over at Danny's). The rear panel shielding was gone(found one at Danny's). One of the rectifier shields was missing(found one at Danny's). The wooden case was missing all 4 screws. The relays were missing there covers too. 4 knobs(bass/treble) and two lever knobs were missing also. BUT, other than that....it looks original from the few undetailed photos supplied. The seller said it powered ON, all lights working, no output(I am hoping this was because of the missing jumpers)If not...then I have a REAL problem. AFAICT from the few photos, the insides look ok. I asked the seller quite a few questions......he wasn't so forthcoming with info as I would have liked............anyway, lets see if we cant get this sucka' going again.:thmbsp:

The unit is multi-voltage and from the 'newer' series production....should be good.:tresbon:

I have nearly 200 bucks in parts sunk in it already....and I haven't even seen the unit yet:yikes:

All you fellas out there with a sx1980....I need one you to take a few detailed photos of the (especially)underside and amp modules. This so I can compare with photos of my unit, which is right now in the delicate hands of UPS.:worried:

This is a TRUE project in the best sense of the word. EW, MTF, Avionic, Kevzep , other great tech's/diy's......are you guys ready?;-))):thmbsp: I should have the unit in my hands in a couple of weeks.

OH NO!!!, Here we go again Anders........:yikes:

I am ready to go!! Stay away form those 'fake' components this time....:D

Good to see you found one, look at my sig, I'm on a McIntosh journey now.......

Last edited:
Kevin......I know what you mean....those crappy, fake parts are givin' me an ulcer! :sigh: This unit will get ONLY the best! I keep telling myself: "please, please, please....outputs be ok.....outputs be ok...outputs be ok"!

I really hope we can save it!:thmbsp:

(Mcintosh gear is awesome!) By the way...your avatar...is that your car?

I can send you a list of about 200 parts from mouser, totaling about 100 bucks that covers all of my rebuild (power amp driver board transistors not in THAT list).
We can get the whole damn list of GOOD parts FROM MOUSER, have them shipped in to you.

BTW the phono amp cover box is missing too.

IS it coming in from the USA? IF so, why not have one of the AK masters have at it before investing in the shipping overseas?

edit- IT IS, from TMRaudio in Denver....

edit2 - like I said in my PM, send me an email address, the pictures won't FIT on AK... Bottom view and amp boards (in original condition, before pictures)

Last edited:
Hey Anders,

Congratulations, I think! You're starting on a long journey but hopefully one that will be fruitful and fulfilling. Also fulfilling on the parts orders too.

So help me understand, in Singapore and nearby countries, there are no reliable commercial outlets for truly good parts? Seems like you have to import everything from US or UK, or Australia/NZ? Certainly is a challenge, I'll grant you that.

Good Luck and will be following your progress.

I can send you a list of about 200 parts from mouser, totaling about 100 bucks that covers all of my rebuild (power amp driver board transistors not in THAT list).
We can get the whole damn list of GOOD parts FROM MOUSER, have them shipped in to you.

BTW the phono amp cover box is missing too.

IS it coming in from the USA? IF so, why not have one of the AK masters have at it before investing in the shipping overseas?

edit- IT IS, from TMRaudio in Denver....

MTF......the unit will ship to Los Angeles...I will pick it up there later. I only use parts from Mouser/digikey because I have been burned before with parts bought here in SG. Just recently, I fixed a friends SA9900 which had crappy(Marcon) caps installed. There are a couple of good, reliable vendors though.
Ok....phono amp cover missing too.........gotta get hold of Danny again!
MTF....I intend to use Panasonic FC/FM all the way through....maybe some Nichicon FG in audio section.

and don't power it up without a few rudimentary tests, and PIN CLEANING!!!!!

re: PIN CLEANING: The number 2 pencil eraser trick, on all the connector pins on both of the amp boards, ESPECIALLY after shipping!!

Hey Anders,

Congratulations, I think! You're starting on a long journey but hopefully one that will be fruitful and fulfilling. Also fulfilling on the parts orders too.

So help me understand, in Singapore and nearby countries, there are no reliable commercial outlets for truly good parts? Seems like you have to import everything from US or UK, or Australia/NZ? Certainly is a challenge, I'll grant you that.

Good Luck and will be following your progress.

mech986..........importing from Mouser/USA is actually fantastically easy. If you order for than 100bucks...shipping is free and takes 2-3 days! I have NEVER run into a bad component from either digikey or Mouser. There seem to be many good vendors in USA/UK/Germany..........Singapore is also good...just not AS good. I had a hard time with a G7500 because of some (expensive) fake outputs bought here in SG.

Kevin......I know what you mean....those crappy, fake parts are givin' me an ulcer! :sigh: This unit will get ONLY the best! I keep telling myself: "please, please, please....outputs be ok.....outputs be ok...outputs be ok"!

I really hope we can save it!:thmbsp:

(Mcintosh gear is awesome!) By the way...your avatar...is that your car?

Yes Anders, thats my Rally car.........:thmbsp:

Looks like MTF is already onto it, he does great lists......

Even if there are output problems, you can do a work-around to fit TO-3P's in there, I have seen a thread here somewhere when EW did one. Bit of metalwork required but entirely possible and looked very good when finished....
So hopefully the outputs are OK and you can just concentrate on the areas which need attention like the regulated supplies etc....
I will be watching this one with interest.....

Your at it again.....there won't be a thing left for us! Nah....congrats on getting a dream machine and looking forward to seeing your progress with this save. (Your enthusiasm is contagious.)

Kevin.......great car, man.....I miss the ambience from those EAS Rallies. Great!

I have seen the excellent thread about the TO-3P mod.......excellent. I hope I don't need it............if I do.......we'll do that too! Hey...that rhymes!

bd1886.....it took me a long time finding a unit like this. Buying a nice sx1980 was just out of the question....prices have gone mad. Also, if I fix this unit up...the fixer/unit relationship will be awesome! Straight to the collection with this plunder!

I just have to wait friggin 2 weeks before i can get my hands on it! I'll be a dog-gone wreck!

mech986..........importing from Mouser/USA is actually fantastically easy. If you order for than 100bucks...shipping is free and takes 2-3 days! I have NEVER run into a bad component from either digikey or Mouser. There seem to be many good vendors in USA/UK/Germany..........Singapore is also good...just not AS good. I had a hard time with a G7500 because of some (expensive) fake outputs bought here in SG.

Huh, I did an order for THREE sets of 1980 parts (that's three hundred bucks) 10/2011 and I didn't get any free shipping...???...

Mark...I have done many orders......always over 100usd.....and then free shipping. Maybe its only for us 'outsiders'! ;-)

Mark...I have done many orders......always over 100usd.....and then free shipping. Maybe its only for us 'outsiders'! ;-)

That is correct, free overseas shipping.........We get the same thing here in New Zealand......
Always pays to make those big orders!!

Congratulations Anders ! - now that's a 'proper' project you have there :)

I'll be watching with interest. :yes:

:thmbsp:

Congrats on finally getting yourself a sx-1980. Ive owned mine since I bought it new in 1979 in Colorado. You're gonna love it. Excellent phono stage, tuner (if you like radio!!) with more ins and outs then you most likely need. Awesome pre amp in these beasts. Mine has been paired with Lascalas and Bose 901's. IMO the 901s and 1980 are a match made in audio heaven. That 1980 can really drive those 901s.

Price seems decent enough for the condition and with MTF by your side, you'll have a magnificent 'new' 1980 ready to melt paint off the walls.

Here is a slightly better picture of the business end. It looks untouched and original to me...........if any experts out there see something else....let me know.

Attachments

• DSC_0105.jpg
    DSC_0105.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 153
Congrats on yr new "Playpretty", as my granny woulda called it...Hope you get it up 'n' goin' again !!

Back
Top Bottom