Oh Hallelujah, this forum finally has a title that describes the intent for discussion here.

Discussion in 'High-End Separates from Years Past' started by Blue Shadow, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow Waiting for Vintage Gear from this century Subscriber

I don't know, I don't care what all the other names were but reporting posts from newer members about their regular vintage box of electronics and the mods having to move those as well as the ones they see before others report them has kept them so busy they needed to remove the word vintage for title of the forum. For a newb, just seeing one forum with vintage in the title...well my gear question must go here.

Hopefully we can have some more discussions, Yes Discussions, not just what's the best or what makes a wow and other list your favorite crap, about some of the High-end separates even if they are newer.

Years past to me means 2018 and earlier. Let's hope so and we can discuss the early Mark Levinson vs. the more recent Audio Research amps and preamps, for example.

Thanks for changing the name of this forum.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Ds2000

Ds2000 Oh THOSE speakers. Subscriber

In the near future, I’ll be able to compare a newer Levinson 432 (2010) with some older Stax mono amps (1990). Both are fairly high end, the Stax does edge the Levinson out as an exotic, but both are designed to push sound reproduction toward what’s thought to be the most desired end. I’ll be curious to hear their interpretations of each ones version of that end. I know there will be similarities, it’s the differences I’m most interested in discovering.

Blue Shadow likes this.
  3. Dave1384

Dave1384 Stuck in the 70's

And invite Musichal in for some guidance as we add to the lists.

4. ehoove

ehoove Old & New - Carpe Diem Staff Member Super Mod Subscriber

@musichal You are being paged
    Regards,
    Jim

4-2-7 likes this.
  5. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

In order to have a discussion you need at least two people. With my equipment on this site and I have found with others the posting doesn't have much in discussion or lasting traction. Just like anything in the High End or higher end it tends to be pretty limited and less owners of.

6. Blue Shadow

Well thanks for your comments however negative/realistic they may be. I know you are set in your gear, you have pieces you intend to keep as you have assembled a rig you like. This comes from your comments about my posts where folks get to hear different stuff when they come over and your comment that seemed to indicate you were comfortable with your rig and why don't we get a good rig and stick with it. I have a good rig, I like to think I can improve it and discussions of high end gear that can be found for reasonable amounts today are one way to move to a higher level. This is not necessary with McIntosh gear of which you have quite a few pieces as if you need different there is plenty of that stuff to get and a forum dedicated to its discussion. A couple other brands you have are also branded onto your being and that is just fine, sure beats (not the turntable again, we've seen that enough) having some of the other brands emblazoned on oneself that are very common common here.

There isn't much high end gear represented on AK because it is mostly a Stereo Lust vintage gear site with folks seeking the gear a few steps up from the unit they bought when new. Most companies didn't make smaller receivers and high end gear so many don't even know what this high end gear is or even some of the brand names. The fact that it was more expensive means there were fewer units purchased and so a smaller group that know the units. But we have to have a place to discuss them where Yamaha CR-3020 doesn't bomb in claiming it the ultimate. We know better.

So just keep negative comments on the downlow and participate when you can if you want to and maybe we can make a go of it here.. We know it will be a slower forum than others because of the lack of experience by the masses but it is a start with a title to allow folks to find a place to discuss this gear that isn't all about the best new stuff like audioafficionado where the vintage gear is frequently shunned.

Problem is we haven't got a definition of high end and many times these discussions end up in the solid state or tube forum so I agree this forum will stay slow. At least we have it, maybe we can get it moved to the main forum section and change SS to Receivers or something and have all the gear properly represented. Sure we would have to discuss the Yamaha C-6 multiple times to get one thread on the Mark Levinson No. 26. But we have something.

just dave likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

Actually my post was not negative, I just mentioned reality on this site with high end anything. The cutting edge threads all die off very fast also. I have more than mac equipment that is high end but also tube equipment. I posted it in tubes and didn't see you ever post a comment in any of those threads.

I have never seen that there at all, in fact there is far more revers snobbery on this site as well as your comment to me just now than anything I'v see there, fact is I have never seen anyone belittled there for what they own.

8. Blue Shadow

So true on reverse snob... But the vintage is rarely treated well elsewhere, not snob, but just as here, unknown and not discussed.