1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

oh no polydome going

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by pharoah, May 11, 2018.

1. StimpyWan

StimpyWan AK Subscriber Subscriber

Did you purchase the Simply Speakers Scan Speak/Vifa dome, or the Midwest Speakers reproduction? I just want to be clear on which dome to avoid! :cool:

TomBig58 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BrianLW

BrianLW New 'Hood' Subscriber

How long did it take for the original polydome material to start deteriorating, on average?

If that was a short time, can the original composition be tweaked chemically, so that doesn't happen, while still retaining the original sound?

3. pharoah

pharoah Active Member

I guess it can vary.the speakers I have are circa 1987,and its 2018.so it took roughly 31 years for mine.

4. pharoah

pharoah Active Member

that's really good info thank you.

5. pauljh

pauljh Active Member

It also depends on the environment the speakers have been in. Not all foam surround woofers of a certain age need refoaming.

6. TomBig58

TomBig58 AK Subscriber Subscriber

With a pair of RS Kappa 6 on the hook I am following this thread closely.

SW it seems he used the Simply Speakers M-330 6ohm based on his terminals description and pics from the ad. The Midwest Speakers mids show terminals on both sides and in 4 0r 8 ohm. The 4 ohm model could be the ticket. They seem pretty newly released it would be nice to get some input on them.

StimpyWan likes this.

7. 7.62

7.62 Gearhead Subscriber

Yes, it's been awhile now but the Vifa/part number from SS. I sold them off as soon as I found an original pair locally and quickly replaced them. Along with original crossovers, as I didn't care for the eBay crossovers either, while easier to drive something was lost in the sound compared to the original Kappa 8 crossover.

V They're still in the family Bahama, our son has them up in Summerlin along with a bunch of Emotiva gear, he jams !

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  8. Bahamayellow

Bahamayellow Well-Known Member

Hey 7.62 you had some Kappa 8s what happen to them.

7.62 likes this.
  9. sagebug

sagebug Active Member

Nope... New ones aren't any better than the vifa/scanspeak.
    I have all of them..

10. jsours

jsours Active Member

Kappa 7. Just got these mids back yesterday and installed them last night. They look great and sound maybe even a little better than before. Quite satisfied. Millersound did quite a nice job. Perfect finish. tank 014.JPG tank 016.JPG

11. Listnnthdark

Listnnthdark Well-Known Member

Thank you jsours .!! They do look great ! and I very much appreciate hearing your impression of sound .:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    If after that dome replacement the the listener ( in the dark ) has the same (( EXPERIENCE )) as original I think that is a Very Encouraging !
    I for one do not care if they look like original ( as long as they look good ) What I care about is that just as in the past w the kappas , they on a fairly regular basis surprise me on a new piece of music I discover by sounding even better than I already thought they did !
    Viva La Kappa !

jsours and BrianLW like this.

12. jsours

jsours Active Member

They look much better and I know they should last. My domes were intact with only a small split, but I knew they were on borrowed time. Sprung for the 200 bucks while I had it to spend. Took about 2 weeks total time. Re-installation was not super easy as they (Infinity) weren't too generous with the wire length, but it wasn't terrible. You just have to be really careful as there isn't enough wire to work without almost needing three hands.