Oh that smell...

jeep jones

Got a pioneer rt-1020l and have been cleaning it up. After playing a 7 inch reel about 1/2 way thru, I stopped it and rewound. I let the tape roll off to the original reel and it auto stopped as expected. I shut it off and noticed a hot smell coming feom the unit. Right around the area of the take-up reel motor...it seems to be coming from the front near the spindle where it exits the motor.

The back half of the motor and even the front near the case doesn't seem to be getting hot. Just something near the front of the motor.

Anyone seen this or have a likely suspect?

Does the motor just need a good lube and cleaning? Is a bearing going out?

Thoughts?

1528766869134962710862.jpg

Could be a bad bearing-obviously, concentrate your effort on the spot that get's hot. I am not sure if lubrication can be restored to that bearing easily. Fortunately, reel motors are not too expensive-check that auction site.

Others here might give you more specific advice-like checking for voltages, in case the issue is electronic instead of mechanical.

You sure it’s not just those large green reel motor resistors? They normally get pretty hot and if there’s a lot of dust on them it can burn off, heck I’ve even seen them smoke a little when first being used after a long rest. Don’t touch them when the machine is plugged in, lotta juice there!

I agree with audiojones.
Exactly my thoughts when I read the O.P's statement.
I've had the same happen to me. Get a reel to reel recorder that's been in storage for years and even after that initial inspection of the innards and a quick blow down, that burning smell almost always presents to a certain degree. It's just the residual dust burning off.
If the magic smoke was a factor then it would've smoked already.
Try and give it a proper clean out and just use it as often as possible.

Back
Top Bottom