Oh, this feels familiar.

Is there is a write up about the T+A comming soon?

There will be. I want to live with it for a bit, I've only had it hooked up for about an hour. Already I'm happy with it. It's a nice simple clean looking amp, that sounds very good. Not as much grunt as the Levinson but everything else is much better.

Hah, you have the Joanna Newsom triple album! I have that but can only play it when I'm home alone because her voice drives my wife crazy.

Great looking system. I'm waiting for the local hifi shop to let a demo pair of those Harbeths go, I love those speakers.
Well, it was this....

IMG_2693.jpg

With this hooked up to it....(the DAC, not the cat :))

IMG_2295.jpg

In a room set up like:

IMG_2655.jpg

But I don't have any wide pictures of the Levinson in there..its just sort of beached upon an amp stand to the side of things, close enough for 3' cables to the preamp.

What does it mean when you shut off your stereo to listen to music on your computer, and it feels like a relief?

It must mean there's not enough, or any synergy between your components with the big Levinson in the mix?

I sure would think that the Levinson amp in the right situation / combination should shine well above other gear. Interesting that it does not in your setup as described....

Did you ever get a chance to try it with the ESL's + Kline?

Mike

Hah, you have the Joanna Newsom triple album! I have that but can only play it when I'm home alone because her voice drives my wife crazy.

Great looking system. I'm waiting for the local hifi shop to let a demo pair of those Harbeths go, I love those speakers.

I love that album, but have come across a few people who share the opinion of your wife. The girl I was dating when her first album came out made a rule that I couldn't play it when she was around. She tried though...that rule was only made after she gave up.

It must mean there's not enough, or any synergy between your components with the big Levinson in the mix?

I sure would think that the Levinson amp in the right situation / combination should shine well above other gear. Interesting that it does not in your setup as described....

Did you ever get a chance to try it with the ESL's + Kline?

Mike
I haven't but its still here and I'll try to before it goes back.

The place looks like a stereo-store at the moment as, in preparation for my move all the gear is out of the closet, and spread over the living room...it'll make for some easy comparisons if I find the time.

And here I thought I was the only person who liked Joanna Newsom.

Just a guess, I bet you are single, or at least live the lifestyle of a bachelor. Your style epitomizes what many of us would like to have. Having a wife generally wouldn't allow that. I am no longer married and slowly have been discovering that I have taste and style that had been trained out of me. Never again. I will not make the compromise. If I ever get married again, she can have her own house and we'll do sleepovers.

And here I thought I was the only person who liked Joanna Newsom.

Just a guess, I bet you are single, or at least live the lifestyle of a bachelor. Your style epitomizes what many of us would like to have. Having a wife generally wouldn't allow that. I am no longer married and slowly have been discovering that I have taste and style that had been trained out of me. Never again. I will not make the compromise. If I ever get married again, she can have her own house and we'll do sleepovers.

Yeah, I'm a bachelor. I was in a long-term relationship that recently, amicably, ended and am now happily back in the dating scene. I will only go out with somebody if they share a passion for music so it generally works out. I'm all for having two separate houses! But I also hate clutter and as such, I'm actively trying to downsize the "stereo store" look. There's a lot of clutter out of frame in those pictures! I tend to date artist/designer types so..so far no "put a doily and figurines on those speakers!" types...

Last edited:
Just went and introduced myself to the song stylings of Joanna Newsom. I think I see what you all mean, but I sure see what the wives/girlfriends mean too....

Joanna is an acquired taste...her recent album, the triple one Have One on Me, is probably the easiest way in. Her voice seems to have calmed down a bit, less affectation. She can sing very loudly...I've seen her live and she did some unamplified a cappella rendition of an old Appalachian folk song to start things off, and that voice filled the theater, and was much easier to deal with live for some reason.

Really going for the stereo-store look this morning:

stereocrap.jpg

To be fair to my wife, she is very cool about most of my obsessions- my drum kit is set up a foot away from out bed!

But, sometimes it is nice when she is off doing something because then I can listen to music that she would shut off immediately. Right now- some Cecil Taylor while she's having brunch with girlfriends :)

I have a 100 WPC Realistic PA amp, and I can carry it with one hand from the rack handle. Internally it is quite robust in construction. I guess I could superglue 100 lbs of heat sink to it, but what would be the point?

Do some manufacturers make their stuff super heavy just to impress potential customers?

QEMaster

I don't know why it's so heavy but it has a very robust power supply. It would drive anything and would probably play through a near-short that would fry both your Radio Shack amp and the amp I'm running in this big guy's place right now. There are uses for such beasts. I don't have such a need, though.

This dumb thing broke my amp stand. Giant spike snapped right off when I tried to shift the amp on it. I hate this amp.

Oh, I put it with the Klyne. Nope, still sucks. Lifeless, opaque, same fatiguing sound. Source was the EMM Labs CDSA. It takes a lot to make the CDSA sound bad.

Back
Top Bottom