Oh where oh where could my chat room be, the board took her away from me!

elixiriszog

Ayep.. don't think I can add too much to that. :banana: I know I know.. priorities. Still! It is missed! Just showing my support for its return. And stuff.

Until AK has its own chat room again, some of us are hanging out at mibbit.com, room #audiokarma

could never figure it out and when I could I came into a discussion that made no sense. Don't miss it at all.

could never figure it out and when I could I came into a discussion that made no sense. Don't miss it at all.

The chat not working for you was likely due to the Java issues many had with the old software. The IRC room doesn't have that problem, and hopefully, neither will the new software. As for the chat not making sense, well, it tends to be fairly free-form, and not as structured as the regular forum. If you don't care for the subject matter at hand, you're welcome to try and change it. :)
-Adam

Is AK chat happening anywhere these days?
As mentioned earlier in this thread, a bunch of us have been using an IRC chatroom as an unofficial substitute. To get there, point an IRC client (I prefer Mibbit, but there are many others) to the following coordinates:

Channel: #audiokarma
Server: irc.mibbit.net
Port: 6667

For the Nick, enter your AudioKarma handle. If you're using Mibbit, the latter two lines shouldn't be necessary. The room isn't always active (IRC doesn't have an 'idle timeout' like the old Java chat did), but it definitely has its moments. Hope this helps.
-Adam

Thanks man, I found it but there was a whole lotta nothing going on. It happens!
Keep checking back. Me and canuckaudiog are in there now discussing various things. It does tend to be slow at times, but I try to keep the conversation going when I'm in there, at the very least.
-Adam

They's a chat room? Must hab missed it - or, maybe not ...

They's a chat room? Must hab missed it - or, maybe not ...
Before the upgrade to Xenforo, there used to be a Java-based chatroom which was integrated with the old software. It worked at first, but all the security issues with Java caused the chatroom to be broken on most peoples' computers. The higher-ups are looking into new chat solutions which will work with the new software, but until they find something, a bunch of the old chatters have taken refuge on IRC for the time being, as mentioned above.
-Adam

Any updates on the possible return of an official AK Chat? Activity in both the Mibbit and Geekshed "temporary" #audiokarma IRC rooms has been very poor of late, to the point where Jay @dewdude is thinking of discontinuing the latter. In my opinion, in these days of "social distancing" and "shelter in place", along with virus concerns cancelling in-person AK meet-ups like the FrankenFest which was supposed to occur tomorrow, we need an official AK Chat now more than ever... :idea:
-Adam

We've got a pending Xenforo upgrade coming, and hopefully a highly-regarded chat add-on which is designed to work with XF.

I cannot tell you how happy this would make me. I met several people in the old Java based chat that have had a big impact on this hobby for me in the years since.

"What are you listening to right now and more" is like an AK chat room.
I looked at that thread, and with well over 544,000 posts as of this writing, it seems rather unwieldy to deal with. A typical chatroom, however, only shows posts from when you arrive, and isn't too hard to keep track of. Plus, while there were some announcements of what we're listening to, and some audio discussions, things in the old AK chatroom were far less formal than a typical forum thread.
-Adam

Back
Top Bottom