Ohm FRS-9 Speaker Score

fizzgig

Stopped by an Estate Sale this morning. Happened upon a pair of Ohm FRS-9's. Marked at $20 each!! But today was Saturday, so it was 50% off day! $10 each! :banana:

Mint condition, all drivers perfect condition. Beautiful sound...but I dont think I have the right size room for them. :no:

Attachments

• IMAG1062.jpg
    IMAG1062.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 183
  • IMAG1067.jpg
    IMAG1067.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
I had the 7's for a while, they sounded pretty good to my ears but liked a bit of power behind them if memory serves. I also can't remember if i pointed the tweeters inward or outward while listening.

I'm in awe. I thought the new crossover on my Optimus's were great. :no:

These makes the music envelope you. But the room isn't right for the low end. So I am leaving the optimus 5bs in play with them at the same time, since the low end on the 12" woofers are much improved. What a full sound and I'm in Audio nirvana...for now...:music:

Oh my dear...lol

Ok, I will change that and check difference.

I had no idea how much the 5b's were holding back the Jico SAS. Incredible.

However I have noticed a slight buzzing on certain notes coming from the right woofer. I'll need to open her up to see if can be fixed. If I lightly put my finger on the woofer it goes away. It may be a rubbing coil or something. I hope not. :sigh:

Check to make sure none of the surround has come unglued from the cone, could be a part of it. Yes, if you can get the tweeters inboard, you might want to also play with spreading them further apart once you that, as well as your listening position. Fun speakers these Ohms. Enjoy! Tim

I do believe it is the felt dustcap causing the buzzing. One of them is completely glued down and the other is a little loose on the top. The loose one is the buzzing speaker.

Any suggestions? A little drop of Loctite??

Last edited:
Interesting speakers. Never before seen a pair. Nice acquisition, especially at the price. You'll have to give us some ongoing reports as to bass response, imaging, etc.

Interesting speakers. Never before seen a pair. Nice acquisition, especially at the price. You'll have to give us some ongoing reports as to bass response, imaging, etc.

I'm half tempted to disconnect the Mids and Tweets in the Optimus 5bs and put the woofers out of phase to see what happens.

Its just simply to difficult to get the proper bass response out of these when they are coupled to a carpet floor. Maybe spikes?

First I must get this woofer buzz fixed. Any suggestions on re-attaching the felt properly?

Simply speakers sell glue for his.
You could try a bit of Elmer's first though.

I'm half tempted to disconnect the Mids and Tweets in the Optimus 5bs and put the woofers out of phase to see what happens.

Its just simply to difficult to get the proper bass response out of these when they are coupled to a carpet floor. Maybe spikes?

First I must get this woofer buzz fixed. Any suggestions on re-attaching the felt properly?

Aleen's craft glue

Use some aleens, i had to do it to one of my frs-7's when i had them. Just remembered that when you posted about yours buzzing. LOL

Aleene's it is! I have the 17yr old running across the street to Joann's now! Will let you know the results soon.

Thanks guys! :thmbsp:

A wood plinth should do the trick, as far as bass goes. 3/4 in. mdf will suffice.

Those were very good sounding speakers, as I recall. Like most of Ohm's "wide sound field" speakers, they were meant for wider than average placement, and usually best not too far out from the back wall... like, no more than a foot or so. For example, if you have a 60/40 ratio rectangular room, you would most likely want them along the long wall, spread a little farther from each other, than they would be from your listening seat. You could try giving Ohm a call, John will probably answer, and can give you good set up advice for those.

The Aleene's worked! clean sound with no buzz!

My room is rather small at this point (9 x 16) and I also need to move some equipment and also my drum kit out. It also serves as my home office.
I have put them in the primary spot at this point which is closer to the wall and elevated by 1ft (probably too much). They get better bass response there, but I think it could be better.

I took the tweet off and there was a rubber band around the port hole for air leakage. I'm assuming this is not standard from the factory.:scratch2: So it seems these have probably been opened before. Also, I noticed the felt dust "cover" on the woofer wasn't centered properly. Did they originally come with a felt dust cap? I'm beginning to think they may have been refoamed at some point as well.

Very good sounding speakers. And now that I have heard what they can do, they are for sure my new primary. :music: I would be stupid to go back to the previous set up.

Back
Top Bottom