Ohm model E speakers?

telemike

Is $50 good for a a pair of these? Are they any good? Thanks. Looking for something vintage and good sounding.

5N35L15F33M43Jb3N9c6f0e9cd3b623e7144a.jpg

I love Ohm speakers, but honestly this wasn't their best product. For $50? I'd tend to say yes, but you aren't getting any great deal. I suspect they'd need a refoam (& don't expect much bass even after that).

Batch

Whoa! Those were the first speakers I ever bought--with my paper route money no less. I loved them and they served me well for many years until a college roommate borrowed them for a party and blew them. They aren't a speaker for the ages, but for $50 why not? I spoke to John Strohbeen, Ohm's president (who, amazingly, also takes customer service calls), and told them the E was my first speaker. He responded without a pause, "that must have spoiled you for life, those were so naturally voiced." He was right!

I've had both E's and EII's $25 to $50 is about where I'd value them at Personally I didn't find the bass response really lacking. It is what it is, a smallish bookshelf. I found it to be a very nice sounding speaker when you were in the sweet spot, In the sweet spot the imaging is really nice and close your eyes and it's a very nice experience. However, I found the tweeters to be very beamy. Move 1 foot out of that sweet spot and the top end would just drop off and then it became mediocre.

A plus to me is the wood veneer. A lot of other speakers of that era are vinyl clad.

I found a pair on the street in great condition - no refoam needed (family moving into a new-to-them house threw them out to make room for their surround sound system); hooked 'um up to my Kenwood KA-3500 and they sang pretty nicely - I heard some details in familiar tunes that made me sit up & listen more attentatively. I thought the bass was adequate for a bookshelf speaker...
I just picked up an analog woofer (Velodyne V-1012 B) and plan to try it with the speakers; having the bass handled from 20-120 should open these cats ups to do even better singing. More to follow...

Strangely enough, Ohm is still in business. Are they the only ones left making floorstanding box type speakers?

Good speakers

I still have my speakers I bought back in 1972 from Tech Hi-Fi for $140 for the pair. The best sound is when you set them at ear level in a corner facing both toward the middle of the room.

Back
Top Bottom