Ohm Model H Score!

cpk23

Just given a pair of Ohm Model H's! A friend was using them to hold his desk up at work and told me I could have them if I helped him get them out and put something else under there. Sweet! I have to refoam the passive radiators, but that should be easy and a great way to start learning my way around that process. The woofers have been replaced by Ohm with their newer model. I haven't plugged them up cuz of the PR problem yet but I'm ordering a refoam kit ASAP!

Check em!

Attachments

• 2011-09-16_18-35-34_562.jpg
    2011-09-16_18-35-34_562.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 270
  • 2011-09-16_18-35-07_693.jpg
    2011-09-16_18-35-07_693.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 379
Just noticed this, maybe its a rookie misunderstanding but: the foam surrounds on the replaced 8" woofers seems REALLY tough. Like its covered in glue or something? Is this normal? Will it change with burn in? They look brand spankin new so maybe its supposed to be that way but I don't know!

I have a set of frs-7's that use that same style driver and mine are the same way. It looks like someone put glue on them to make them harder. I asked John from ohm about that same matter and he said thats how they are supposed to be.

I have a pair of OHM H''s. Lusted after C2's in the late 70s but couldn't afford them. Eventually bought my friends H's (early 80s) after he moved and had no room. I think they sound great. Crystal clear highs. Fairly neutral midrange and bass.

I replaced the 8" drivers and Passive Radiators with factory parts (they are located on the wharf in Brooklyn) a few years ago. They are now a major part of my home theater system. They still sound fantastic. No one can watch a movie (with decent soundtrack) in my house without commenting on how amazing they sound. Next project is to refinish the wood and replace the speaker cloth.

I have Ohm Model E, and I really enjoy them, daily. I have 10 sets of speakers and don't get to listen to every set every day. These beg to get play among my collection, and really sound great. I'm convinced that, based on my experience and the consensus here that there are no bad Ohms, just all-around good speaks and solid performers. Refurb 'em and enjoy.

I've refurb'd them and have been enjoying them for hours every day. This setup has thoroughly impressed me and every person that has sat and listened with me. The mids and highs are absolutely pristine - crispy and forward when they need to be, mellow and sweet when the tunes call for it. I don't know I'll ever find a need to replace them. :thmbsp:

Are those tweeters original ? I found a pair that look very much like those in a pair of speakers that someone gave me a few years ago and I can`t remember the name of them but they were not Ohms. I kept the tweeters and ended up putting them in a pair of JBL L46`s and they have been there ever since .
2011_0511clouds0041.jpg
2011_0511clouds0036.jpg

I think they are original, any picture I've seen of stock Ohm H's has 'em. They got a great sound!

His tweeters in the H's are original. They are not made by Ohm. The same tweeter is in the Ohm C2's as well.

Wondering cpk23...if you recapped the crossover in your refurb?

Congrats on the H's...espicially with the latest 8" offered by Ohm! Great score!

I haven't recapped the crossover, but I've been having to push the bass from my integrated recently to get my records to sound right. I'd been attributing the lack of bass to room placement and all the hard surfaces in my room - do you think it could be old caps?

*edit
They also have the sub bass activator upgrade on the 8" woofers, and it perplexed me as to why there wasn't much bass. Maybe a recap is a order...

Ohm Model H, and recapping

Well, on the C2 (which has a 10" woofer) there are no crossover components going to the woofer! Not even a coil. The two caps in the C2 crossover are for (1 for) the Low Tweeter and (1 for) the High Tweeter. There are some resistors in L-Pad configuration for the switches on the back for +/- 3db for the tweeters. The recap would only aid the two tweeters, no effect at all on the bass (at least on the C2 design).

The Ohm site says the H had 'very deep bass' from the 8" driver and the 12" passive radiator.

When you refoamed the 12" - did you use the correct reverse roll/flat attach foams?

http://ohmspeakers.com/store_item_detail.cfm?item_ID=19&cart_ID=124337436146

If you did...I would try bypassing the SBA circuit and see what that sounds like.

If you did not, then the Passive may be excursion limited by the wrong foam edge type.

The C2's used a port, I am assuming the H has no port, if so, make sure there are no air leaks.

Cheers...

I used this kit. I tried a number of ways to do the reverse foam surrounds like they would have been stock, but I just couldn't find a way to make it fit and it led me to believe that the foam was meant to be put on normally. Maybe I was wrong! I'll try bypassing the SBA, thanks for the advice!

Hmmm....looks like the right kit as it says "Flat Attach".
is there lots of excursion movement on the 12?

You said the 8" had a pretty stiff surround. Wonder if that is gumming up the works?

Would love to see a picture of the refoamed 12's...

I know my set was a bit different but i had a set of frs-7's which use the same 6 1/2" driver as your h's. They also had a 10" passive on the back with inverted surround with a flat cone. The surrounds on my 6 in speakers had some type of coating that was apperently stock and they were very stiff. I never seemed to get alot of bass from mine either but they did sound great either way. I ended up using an m&k vx-7 subwoofer with mine when i had them which seemed to add just the right amount of low end.

From what i could tell they really liked more power than i could offer them at the time. I was using a kenwood kr-7400 which was around 65wpc. I currently have a set of frs-11's which have alot more low end. I haven't listened to them lately as they need a refoam.

Could you please take a couple pics of the SBA device?
I'm curious as to exactly what it entails:smoke::scratch2::D
Enjoy your Ohms!

I'll put a picture up when I get the chance, JazzVinyl. I've heard that Ohm's need a particularly long break in period and I know the replaced woofers weren't used much, if at all, before I got them. At this point I'd estimate that I've put a couple hundred hours on them at least and I haven't noticed a major difference in the bass. I've been playing with the idea of getting an NHT Super 8 sub to help out the H's because the mid and high range are just so amazing.

IMO, the Ohm H was the jewel in the bookshelf line. I felt of the Ohm Acoustic speakers I heard/sold, that they were second only to the Ohm F in sonic quality. However, in the late 70s, most buyers in this price range were not interested in flat response. They primarily wanted lively boom and sizzle.. and were comparing speakers in the showroom to JBL L100s, which were selling like hot dogs at a ballpark in July.. There were very few Hs sold. I have been unsuccessfully searching for a pair for years..

Of note, based on your comments and my observations:

1. They are likely NOT a good speaker in a hard room.
2. They are not a likely candidate for most people's idea of a Home Theater speaker.

I'd suggest either living with the bass boost or finding a pair of speakers that already have that boost built in. Please do not trash them though.. they are gems!

I agree about the comment about flat response. Most people are/were put off by the clean flat response. They want a more boomy base.

I am using them as Home Theater speakers, without a subwoofer. I like them a real lot, but then I don't like thumping home theater setups.

I repaired mine by buying the 8" drivers and passive radiators from OHM. If it would help, I can upload a photo of the surrounds.

OHMSpeaker on ebay (the factory) occasionally sells refurbished speakers. A pair of OHM H's sold recently for $900. They have a pair of C2 available for $700.

I would love to see some photos of your 'Ohm bought', upgraded "H's sysmg...and a photo of the SBA if you bought that, too.

Did you have yours before the upgraded 8 and 12's?

If so, could you comment on the difference between the paper and poly in the 8 inch speaker?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom