Ohm Model L

I have to get up to Ann Arbor to pick up my KD-500 when they finish it, if I can be of assistance let me know.
Again I do not know the seller or am affiliated at all.

Appreciate the offer, but I just picked up a two receivers in the last month and need to step back for a few.
Seems to be a good deal though. $150 and up is the going rate according to my searches.
Maybe if the tax return shows up...:idea:

I'm going to check them out Monday. If good may just go ahead and pick them up.
Edit: So what is the tone method?

I have a pair and I love them -

Although the woofers in mine read OHM on the dust cap and did not need reforming - might double check to make sure they weren’t swapped out at some point.

Last edited:
Instead of using shims, you feed the driver a 30ish Hz tone to keep it centered and avoid voice coil rub. Other than freehand it's the only way I've refoamed. It was a little jab @Harvestor. I post advocating the tone, he comes in after and pushes the shims which is the only way he's refoamed, and vice versa.
And he really likes Ohm speakers.
And I'd really like to try refoaming some Ohms with the tone.

not only that but he is jonzin for a pair of Ls so all good posting that about using the tone. Maybe these are the ones he is wanting to pick up. from a different thread:

I know...
I considered it but there's a set of OHM model L that I REALLY Really want for 1/3 that price... And I have been trying to get ahold of a set of L's for many years . ..
And being unemployed I can better afford the set i've been looking for for awhile. ..

not only that but he is jonzin for a pair of Ls so all good posting that about using the tone. Maybe these are the ones he is wanting to pick up. from a different thread:
He's said in another thread somewhere along the way he's not going to try it without actually seeing it done in person first.

He's said in another thread somewhere along the way he's not going to try it without actually seeing it done in person first.
And probably not going to try it on any ohms because their voice coil Gap between the pool piece is much tighter than the Cerwin Vegas I've done..
What's funny to me is my D9''s I refoamed without pulling the center cap and without doing the tone method.
Same with my Mach ones I did not pull the center cap and I did not use the tone method.

But I don't think I would dare try it with the ohms ..
But what is more of the issue with the ohm woofers is the dried up axle Grease they used for ferrofluid and the cap has to come off anyway so that can be cleaned out . . If you don't clean that out the woofers will not operate correctly & some are actually so stiff they don't even move. . And then the sellers believe they need to be completely replaced because of bad voice coils and that's not the case it's the thick dried up Grease causing the voice coil to stick to the pole piece

Last edited:
And probably not going to try it on any ohms because their voice coil Gap between the pool piece is much tighter than the Cerwin Vegas I've done..
What's funny to me is my D9''s I refoamed without pulling the center cap and without doing the tone method.
Same with my Mach ones I did not pull the center cap and I did not use the tone method.

But I don't think I would dare try it with the ohms ..
But what is more of the issue with the ohm woofers is the dried up axle Grease they used for ferrofluid and the cap has to come off anyway so that can be cleaned out . . If you don't clean that out the woofers will not operate correctly & some are actually so stiff they don't even move. . And then the sellers believe they need to be completely replaced because of bad voice coils and that's not the case it's the thick dried up Grease causing the voice coil to stick to the pole piece

I've read about the grease, but the gap issue...:dunno: I did my JBLs without removing the dust caps or using any tone and had no problems. The only one I'd consider the tone to be anything more than an insurance policy was the damaged AT-10 woof I did. Without being able to angle the voice coil a refoam wouldn't have done it.

I've read about the grease, but the gap issue...:dunno: I did my JBLs without removing the dust caps or using any tone and had no problems. The only one I'd consider the tone to be anything more than an insurance policy was the damaged AT-10 woof I did. Without being able to angle the voice coil a refoam wouldn't have done it.

IMG_20180519_133520114.jpg
Sticky sticky Grease

So you need to pull the VC? Or remove the magnet? Scrape it out of the gap with a business card?

These are those? congrats.
I hold the magnet assembly in my left hand up so the cone is facing down to the Earth then spray Either / Starting fluid directly in to the voice coil allowing the grease to drip out on the ground or into an oil pan. .then I use electronics cleaner CRC safe for plastic and spray the gap again then I use thin card stock and Sweep the gap and I use cardstock for scrapbooking because playing cards are way too thick for the thin Gap between voice coil & pole piece.

This is the cardstock I use for doing the shimming
IMG_20180519_123213880.jpg

I use either / starting fluid because it's less caustic and won't eat up any adhesives.

Never never never use brake cleaner or carburetor cleaner !!.. it'll completely destroy the cone and adhesive..
They are far too caustic

I hold the magnet assembly in my left hand up so the cone is facing down to the Earth then spray Either / Starting fluid directly in to the voice coil allowing the grease to drip out on the ground or into an oil pan. .then I use electronics cleaner CRC safe for plastic and spray the gap again then I use thin card stock and Sweep the gap and I use cardstock for scrapbooking because playing cards are way too thick for the thin Gap between voice coil & pole piece.
Do you replace it with something?

You're moving right along! Nice they went to someone who can appreciate them!
IMG_20190321_124230330.jpg IMG_20190321_124321186.jpg
IMG_20190321_124254381.jpg

All done!

The hardest thing about this job was getting the dust caps off to clean the grease out of the voice coil and then shim .....
Out of every speaker I've ever done these dust caps did not want to come off with just the hair dryer and thin screwdriver trick... This time I had to spend a lot of extra time
( 5 hours ) maybe a little more just on removing the caps to save them !!... I don't know if they used the epoxy that they use on the voice coil that day in the factory or what ?..but every other speaker I've ever done I was able to get the dust caps off in less than a half-hour... This glue ( or epoxy )did not want to let up!.. . And if it weren't for having to get the grease out of the voice coil I would have done tone trick! .. but the grease that ohm Acoustics used does not look like ferrofluid at all just grease and it is old and thick and won't allow the cones to move at all, so they must be cleaned out! .. and if it weren't wanting to save the original ohm logo dust caps I would have cut these ones off and just put generic ones on. . This made the job so much longer but I was not about to give up!
Anyway..
The job is done and well worth the effort thank you Jose and thank your friend Randy!

Back
Top Bottom