Ok..been conviced..looking for good receiver in 30-50wpc range!

mykenytemare

After posting that I was looking for a stereo with 100wpc, I received a lot of suggestions to save some cash and get a lower wattage unit.

Now, what brands/models are good if I am looking for a receiver with at least 35wpc, true sound reproduction (no coloring, good headroom, good eq adjustments), a few inputs (and maybe illuminated needle gauges!) and reliability?

Are all of the vintage looking Pioneer SX series good? Are any of the Realistics really that good?

I like the 1974-75 Pioneers...but I may be biased. The SX-737 is 35 wpc, the SX-838 is 50 wpc. Both sound great, at least to me. The Sansui 5000x is 55 wpc and sounds really nice also, very warm. All of these can be had for under a C-note. Be prepared to clean all the contacts with DeOxit, vacuum/blow out the dust from the inside and replace some lamps.

...Now, what brands/models are good if I am looking for a receiver with at least 35wpc, true sound reproduction (no coloring, good headroom, good eq adjustments), a few inputs (and maybe illuminated needle gauges!) and reliability?...

I'd argue that all gear has a bit of sonic signature, wether due to age or design.

But Yamaha kit has often been referred to as "straight wire with gain", so re-phrased, that would be "low-coloration", hence the marketing term adopted by them- "Natural sound".

If you go to seperates (an integrated amp/pre-amp unit and a seperate tuner), you could get those bouncy illuminated meters. Check out the 610 II and the 810.

Other options?

These have more an influence on the end music, but...

I personally liked the Sansui AU-317 integrated- a low-profile design with rack handles. Easy to stack it with a tuner, and it'll only be a tiny bit taller than an all-in-one receiver.

Marantz receivers are a good investment, and popular for a reason. The 2225 and 2245 (25wpc and 45wpc) fit your power requirements, and resale value is always good on 'em. They have what's referred to as the "two martini" sound- very pleasant.

Not a receiver, but I also like the line of the Kenwood KA integrateds. The 5700 and 6100 have bouncing illuminated meters like you prefer, and the 7100 is just a stunning looking amp all-around.

It's all in what sounds good to your ears... but don't rule out your original thought.

If you come across a good deal on a 100 WPC unit, don't be afraid to pick it up!

What's a good deal you might say? I'd answer if you like the looks & sound of the unit
and it won't break the bank price-wise, then it's a good deal. :thmbsp:

Scott

The Sherwood S-7200, S-7300, S-7900A and S-8900A are all fine sounding receivers, with excellent tuner sections, and prices are still way under the radar.

Just got a Haram/Kardon HK730 last week. The thing just blows me away with its sound quality.

pc150002nc2.jpg

I was so excited with my find, I couldn't hold the camera steady. ;)

Assuming you mean the CA-610 (or CA-610II) integrated amp and the CT-610II tuner... yes, excellent hardware for sub-$100.

I've owned, and enjoyed a CA-610 for almost 30 years.

P1020541.jpg

(Yeah, the tuner in this system is a slightly later T-550. The cabinet doesn't have room for a CT-610II)

The CT-610II is nothing special, but they work fine and sound decent, and they're usually cheap. I bought one on eBAY for $30 to complete the set.

Is the yamaha 610 preamp and matching 610 amp a good amp? Can get on right now for under $100!

The 610 II is a great pre-amp/amp (integrated) indeed.

The 610 (non II model) is also a nice one, but fairly rare.

The 610 tuner is good. not stellar, but good. As good as many receivers you'd run across.

It has everything you're asking for- 40-45wpc, lighted meters, and a very uncolored sound.

There are a ton of Yammie fans here.

Yamaha FELL THROUGH...otherwise Probably Get A Marantz 2225 Or 2245, A Pioneer Or Sansui...thank...you Guys Are A Big Help!

Sorry Bout The Caps Lock!

You know, I had never heard Onkyo gear before, but I just got a fully restored TX-4500 and it sounds amazing cranking thru Acoustic Research AR4x's.
That's my take on it.

As an NAD fan, I've got to recommend someting like a 7225 vintage if you can find it....locally if at all possible, because they don't seem to ship all that well. they've got a tn of headroom and nice clean sound for the money.

I'm a fan of the Pioneer Fluroscans. An sx 3700 would give you 45 wpc at .02% thd. Mine has a clean, crisp sound - neutral to slightly warm. Plus you get those cool digital tuner and power meters. I find them to be quite handsome and mine has been rather reliable. I would expect to pay $35 to $100 for one depending on condition. For a little more you can seek out an sx 3800 which has a non-switching amp with 60 wpc at an unreal .005% thd.

Since you want a fairly straight-ahead, uncolored sound, Kenwood or Yamaha are probably good choices. The Sansui and Marantz units suggested by others are all terrific receivers, but they are known for having a slightly optimistic sound. The best Yamaha receivers are from the "X00" and "X20" lineups (i.e. topped by the CR-1000 and CR-2020 models); the "X40" models are a little cheaper in build quality. As for Kenwood, I am not as knowledgeable, but any model through the lineup topped by the KR-9600, circa 1977 should be good.

now leaning towards the yamaha (like theaesthetics) and the kenwood (high power units)...though a marantz wouldnt be out of the question.

Any more opinions?

I have a Marantz 2250 (50 WPC), and I love it. Great build quality, unbeatable aesthetics (if you like symmetry), but they are definitely not "uncolored" sounding. Quite warm sounding, but it makes the music sound a bit more lively for some reason to my ears. Great resale value, too, if you are fortunate to find one on CL or a garage sale on the cheap. But if you're on a shoestring budget, don't aim for Marantz. People will pay out the nose for those blue meters. I have no experience with Pioneer, but from what I gather they are good.

Back
Top Bottom