Ok folks... What are your top three receivers?

WinTec R-1120 > One or the all time most powerful receivers, clean sound, very rare.

Yamaha CR-1000 > I have to include a CR series Yamaha here and my pick is the CR-1000 just because of the look!

Onkyo multiac 60 > One of the most unique receivers I've ever seen. Has built in active crossover with woofer, mid, and tweeter speaker outputs. A receiver with an all in one tri-amp setup! (yes, the outputs really are from separate internal amps)

I limited my picks to units I actually own...otherwise my choices may have been different.

I just bought an Onkyo Multiac 60 au, a Yamaha CA-600 and a Yamaha CT-400 for a buck each at a yard sale. I have some raw drivers that I am going to experiment with on the Onkyo.

Pioneer SX-1280. This receiver has it all -- sound quality, power, FM performance, feature content and gorgeous styling. I don't need more gear in the house, but if one of these crossed my path, I'd grab it in a heartbeat.

Heathkit AR-1500. The offbeat but attractive styling appeals to me. I also like the solid, conservative engineering; the brick-outhouse build quality; the superb FM tuner; and the excellent sound quality.

Yamaha CR-1000. This was the first high-end piece I heard from a Japanese manufacturer, and it completely changed my viewpoint on Japanese audio. The performance, styling and feature content were all memorable.

favorite receiver

Favorite receiver would have to be the sansui 9090db paired with the sansui sp-7500x speakers. Nice warm sound. Eventually ill give it to my daughter so that she can experience what the old people listened to, lol:guitar:

Last edited:
Actually I only own three Vintage receivers....

Marantz 2220b with the wood case
Marantz 2275
Pioneer SX-1250

Thanks for digging up this thread. I now only own two receivers. With access to a third, which is the 2275 that I gave to my girlfriend as a Christmas gift. I still love the warmth and it paired well with any speakers I had at any given time. Overall it's on the basic end in contrast to my other tww, but I like it a lot. It gives you an opportunity to press big buttons too!

I still have the SX-1250, but have been using it as my bedroom system. I have it hooked up to some really old Harmon Kardon HK-2 speakers. They are really great sounding two way speakers. It might be the room or it could be the receiver but these large bookshelf sized speakers have some serious bass. It has a tremendous tuner as I only run a wire antenna, I can pick up stations for miles and strong as well. And as everyone knows it has enough power to deafen.

Out in the Tiki Lounge I have a Yamaha CR-2020 that I listen to daily and for hours at a time. I really appreciate what it has to offer. For starters, it has the best turntable selection out of the three, even with a powered antenna. On the flip side, and as I noted in another thread, it doesn't pair well with my any of my Klipsch, but sounds great with the ADS 910s.

I know I have a limited number of them, they all have their merits and I really couldn't pick a favorite. Given that they all show up on this list many times, I figure I am pretty lucky.

However I do dream of getting some big boy Sansui separates. :scratch2: But that's a conversation for another thread.

Okay- my list is more sentimental in nature than sound quality, probably.

Yamaha RX-530. My first receiver. Came with a pair of Polk 5jr (ported, not passive, and the soft dome like the large Monitors) for Christmas. I was maybe 15 or 16. Still have the receiver.

Carver 'The Receiver'. The 200 watt version. My Dad's. Can still remember rocking out on the a/d/s L-1290/2s my dad had. Receiver is gone. I have the speakers. ;-)

Proton 300- Never fails to bring a smile to my face, with or without the 301 extension speaker.

Mike

I originally picked these almost 2 years ago:

Sansui 9090db
Sansui 5000x
Marantz 2275

and now my list iist is:
Mac 1900
Sansui 9090db
Sansui 5000x

I've been through a lot of receivers since then, but I still love two Sansuis. Can't tell if the 1900 is tops because it's new to me, or because it sounds best. I think it sounds fantastic, but I use the 9090db as a tuner in my main system and it is wonderful, too. The 5000x sits on a shelf. In my original thread I talked of wanting a Mac 1900...so now I'll talk of wanting a Fisher 400....maybe this thread makes wishes come true.

I've never had many receivers, always ran with integrateds or separates until I turned up a Technics SA-700 at a yard sale for $5 a couple or so years back. Now I'm up to 5 and like all of them very much in their own way.

I'd have to say that my favourite so far is the Marantz 4300. Great tuner, nice to look at and just fine sound in all ways. After that would probably be a tie between the Onkyo TX-4500 mkII and the Technics SA-700. Slightly different sound but both have excellent tuners and the pre and power stages do their job beautifully, happily driving whatever speakers I put them with. I have a little Onkyo TX-810 digital at the cottage and for what it is it does a fine job as well, though not in the class of the others. This past weekend I got a 60's Scott 348 and I have a feeling that once it's put in order it has a good shot at taking over top spot..... just an inkling. Monster receiver it's not, but those old Scotts were well engineered and the build quality is wonderful!

Pioneer SX-1280. This receiver has it all -- sound quality, power, FM performance, feature content and gorgeous styling. I don't need more gear in the house, but if one of these crossed my path, I'd grab it in a heartbeat.

Heathkit AR-1500. The offbeat but attractive styling appeals to me. I also like the solid, conservative engineering; the brick-outhouse build quality; the superb FM tuner; and the excellent sound quality.

Yamaha CR-1000. This was the first high-end piece I heard from a Japanese manufacturer, and it completely changed my viewpoint on Japanese audio. The performance, styling and feature content were all memorable.

+1 on the Heathkit......also my favourite. Only have one other "favourite" my Kenwood Eleven II. :)

O.K. first is the Marantz 2275 which I own and love, second I'll say the elegant classiness of the Yamaha CR2020 and last I've always liked the look of the Tandberg 2075, though it's been a long time since I've actually heard one.

G 22000
G 3000
G 2000

My main unit is the G 3000 right now. I cant see powering up the big G for a few watts. The G 3000 sounds good to me in the way I listen now. But the big G is still the top dog.

G 22000
G 3000
G 2000

My main unit is the G 3000 right now. I cant see powering up the big G for a few watts. The G 3000 sounds good to me in the way I listen now. But the big G is still the top dog.

Does the 22000 sound 11x better than the 2000? :scratch2:

1) rotel rx-1603
2) sanyo jcx-2900
3) sanyo jcx-2600

the big pioneers and sansuis looks awesome but just cant't match the sound of the big rotel.

Reading through all of these really makes me want a Sony 6060f. I have separates from that era (TA-2000 and 3200f) but there just seems that there's something magical about the 6060f. I have a 6055 (or is it 45?) that sounds great, but nobody ever mentions that one. So the search begins....

1) SX-1980 My cousin's new 1980 launched me into hi fi, way back when
2) SX-1250- The best I have now, awesome FM tuner and thunderous power, can drive my DQ-10s without a problem
3) G-9000 another childhood crush, a new one hooked up to a pair of Model 19s blew my mind. Blew the 19s frequently too.

Here are my top three in no order:

Pioneer SX 950 and SX 980. Not as powerful as it's larger brothers, but cheaper. Just enough features without being too busy. Impressive sound with a wide range of speakers.

Realistic STA 2100. The mother of all Radio Shack receivers. Excellent sensitive tuner section on both AM and FM. Sounds too warm than most receivers, but when mated with the right speaker, they sound excellent and can stand up well with any other manufacturer.

Yamaha CR 640. Excellent tuner section. Sounds different than most receivers with the variable loudness control. Same as the Realistic, when mated with the right speaker, they sound great.

Quite a few in the pantheon. Culled only The Very Best.

1. The Hero: 16.5 - (best amp/excellent all-around tuner, Achilles' heel is phono section. Yes it has a weakness but it's still Achilles.)

images

--

2. The Titan: RS-1080 - (pre in my unit needs some work before Avery's biggest 72-lb giant shakes up #1 )

180px-Cyclops_P6110086.JPG

--

3. Hermes: KR-9050 - ("high-speed", best tuner, and 4-VU meters--but showing age, high maintenance. 2-feet wide lol)

hermes.jpg

--

Low wattage : Luxman R-1050 (edged out my 2238B)

Aphrodite
images

--

The Monolith: '80s king but starkly bland: R-117 (sonics all there, just runs out of gas slightly compared to #1 and #2 locomotives )

monolith.jpg

---

addenda:

9090DB knocked the SX-1250 about the head and shoulders sonically but the redone Pioneer has no foreseeable issues so it stayed put while the DB escaped my clutches.

I need to get both HK930 Gemini Twins working so I can see why it made lots of lists.

Not sorted out: the 2nd tier monsters class(100-125 wpc) in a race for second place:
Onkyo TX-8500
JCX 2900K
SX-1080
Benched and unconcious hopefulls: Concept 11.0, SX-1050.

------------based on one limited sample, in as is condition, your experience may vary, yadda yadda

Last edited:
My favorite stereo receivers of all time

Ok folks here is the question. What is your favorite stereo receiver of all time? Take a minute and disregard all the hype, power ratings, fancy specifications, features, brand familarity and be honest. Tell my what your favorite or favorites are and why (preferably the top 3).

I currently own / or have owned the following receivers.

1. harman/kardon Citation Receiver: My all-time favorite h/k audio gear! http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=506 and http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2924687#post2924687

2. harman/kardon 930: My first really serious receiver. The 930 was my introduction to h/k gear and their "dual mono" designs of the 1970s and 1980s. I have owned this unit for 35 years! http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4694 and http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239292

3. KLH Twenty-Seven: I have a "soft spot" for KLH and Henry Kloss. I have always liked the unique appearance of this receiver since I first saw it in 1977. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56624 and http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76540

4. Fisher Futura 202: My first "mid-fi" receiver.; purchased as a "closeout" for $125 from Clark Music in Syracuse, NY in SEP 1972. Traded in for $100 at Tech HiFi in Syracuse, NY for a h/k 930 receiver. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234077 and http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157913

Last edited:
1. Sansui 990 {black faced 9090}
2. Sansui G 8000
3. Sansui 2000X
Actually I prefer integrated's, but that wasn't the question.
The 2000X is a sleeper that can be had inexpensively, and plays really sweet!
Casey:music:

Back
Top Bottom