Ok gear heads--- who can correctly identfy this roadster ?

Bill Ferris

Lunatic Member
Hint: it wasn`t built in Spartanburg SC. I purchased it in October of 2003 after waiting 5 months for it to be built and shipped to the dealer.
I have been told over the years by a lot of car buff people that they have never seen one, and also most were not even aware that this model was ever made..

It is a numbered car".. Mine is # 513 out of 555 total made in Germany, for I think 3 years ?

No bragging or showing off here, `cause "Homey don`t play those games", but thought you guy`s might be interested in seeing somewhat of a not so common BMW roadster. Also this "photo OP" was not my idea, I was just backing out my driveway to stretch her legs for a 100 mile country drive last Dec. when my housekeeper/personal assistant came outside and told me she wanted to take a couple of pics of me in the car..(probably figured that during one of these leg stretcher`s of mine that I become a road kill !!!) HA !!

Kind regards, OKBDSCN0091.JPG DSCN0090.JPG

They featured a 2003 BMW Z8 Alpina Roadster on the Wayne Carini car show on Velocity a while back ... (Season 11, Episode 2) ...

You've got a gorgeous car, for sure!

Last edited:
I know a dude that has a Z3. But this is something else altogether. Never even heard of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Z8

Sweetness.

Only 450 of the Alpinas made it to the states.

Bingo !! BigEICat, and my Z8 is in fact a Alpina(or as I sometimes like to say "Al`s Penis !!). HA !!
Didn`t know anything about the car when I ordered it, other then it cost more then what I paid for my house !!

I`ll explain-- ever since 1973 I wanted to buy a Mercedes 450 SL convertible coup one day.
Well I saved, and saved over the years, had a bad ass attached garage built in 1997(neighbors called it Bill`s bunker) and paid off my house in 1999 and started looking at the more modern offerings from Mercedes of that style, as I don`t like to buy a used car from anyone whom I don`t know and how well it was taken care of and rather not..

Well 2003 rolled around and I felt that I probably had set enough money aside so that I could purchase a Mercedes 500 AMG without resorting to starving myself for the large lay out of such a frivolous purchase.

Anyway, I called the Jacksonville FL. Mercedes dealer about purchasing one. And he informed me that they didn`t have that model in stock and that there was a 2 year wait as well !! So I was "crest fallen", because I didn`t wish to wait and didn`t want to drive out of town to purchase.
So there I sat depressed as my 30 year dream of finally being able to buy a "precision" car was dashed..

A lot of my close friends were aware of my quest and started calling me and asking me when I was going to take delivery of the Mercedes not knowing that it probably not going to happen at all until I told them about the telephone conversation with the dealer.
Well one of my friends/customer worked at the Jacksonville FL. BMW dealer and advised me that I might want to go there and check out BMW`s version of the roadster type car I was looking for.. I had not considered, nor even looked online at their offerings. So I went into Jacksonville FL. to the dealer and saw this really attractive and cool looking roadster on the showroom`s turntable and became very interested in it.
I found out it was the Z8 and the son of the owner of the dealership had been driving it and of course the sales lady was really encouraging me to purchase it right then and there with attractive discounts.
But I wasn`t interested and asked for the brochure to look at and decided to go with the Alpina upgrade option..
I have to have a automatic transmission because of being partially paralyzed(left side hemi paresis) and a legal steering knob as well

Which has been interesting and entertaining when taking a friend/s out for a spin with the top down at the max speed that I could get it to go which is150 mph and since I am driving with one hand on the steering wheel, for some reason that seemed to be cause for consternation on their part, as they hollered out the speed when I achieved it. :crazy:They weren`t aware of my intentions to blow out the "carbon" with them in the car !! HA !!

Anyway, sorry about the rather long winded back story :blah: on how I ended up purchasing the roadster, I thought it might be interesting to somebody on this site.. Thank you for responding, Regards, OKB

They featured a 2003 BMW Z8 Alpina Roadster on the Wayne Carini car show on Velocity a while back ... (Season 11, Episode 2) ...

You've got a gorgeous car, for sure!

And a thank you too hjames for the generous compliment as well.
Ironically folks, I`m not really a gear head or car buff.
I just like precision mechanical and electronic equipment and appreciate fine/high quality where I can.
Never had a performance car before. My 1987 Chevrolet Astro was the first brand new vehicle that I ever bought and still own her.
Built up two electronic repair benches with precision test/measurement equipment over the years
And stereo/AV systems over the years as well, and decided that it was time to experience a precision vehicle before I turned 50 years old.
I was approaching my 49th birthday when I made the leap.

Kind regards, OKB

There is one of these in Memphis its black! Shark nose baby! I drive a BMW also I love em!

The Z8`s came in a rainbow of colors available, but only black or "Titanium" Silver(marketing hype !!) for the Alpina.
With the lovely FL. sunshine "facto baking" outside cars, I decided Silver would be a better choice, plus it matched my beard and hair for the complete midlife crisis "over the hill look" !! But I can`t deny the black ones look pretty cool.
Thanks for your interest and comments mark warren. Regards, OKB

Beautiful Beast!

reminds me of the classic 1950s BMW 508.

View attachment 970118
Yes I agree. That 507, Leland47, is my cars "DNA`s" father, at least that`s what all the people that work for BMW have told me over the years when it came up in conversation.
My dealership has a model of the 507 in a glass display case on the showroom floor, but wouldn't sell it to me, but I understood.

Last edited:
I know, I had always thought a 507 too, but googled for some pics.....and came back with both 507 and 508.....

I didn't feel like researching what the difference was. So just went with 508.

Anyhoo......Elvis owned one....and its been in the news....and undergoing a total restoration at the BMW plant in Germany. Kinda cool.

This tread ....the Z8 Alpina....WoW! What a beauty. I imagine the HP to Weight ratio allows for some hairy rides...:)

Back
Top Bottom