Ok gear heads--- who can correctly identfy this roadster ?

I know, I had always thought a 507 too, but googled for some pics.....and came back with both 507 and 508.....

I didn't feel like researching what the difference was. So just went with 508.

Anyhoo......Elvis owned one....and its been in the news....and undergoing a total restoration at the BMW plant in Germany. Kinda cool.

This tread ....the Z8 Alpina....WoW! What a beauty. I imagine the HP to Weight ratio allows for some hairy rides...:)

Yes I`ve had some fun driving it, but it never turned out to be the "Chick Magnet" that I was told by my friends that it would/could be.. :(
Surprisingly, since owning it from 10/20/03 until this moment I haven`t received a ticket yet, though been pulled over two times for speeding. :oops:

Hi Bill. It is a beauty! Kinda like buying an instant Classic! It will always be a classic and sought after car.

Does it come with a hard top option? Did you get one?

Yes, I erred. Like I said....didn't bother to research it. Being a car buff from way back....I certainly knew of the 507....just not as sharp mentally these days, with remembering specific numbers and such.

I Googled it and there were pics and some said 508.....so went with that. But it looks like Google is wrong...as those 508s ( under google images ) might actually be 503s....?

Yah, it does look like the 508....

With the BMW badging, I thought it was just a Z8. That's a great car, in fact either car, the BMW or the Alpina. I guess badging an Alpina with BMW badges is a good way to get it through customs. Had the opportunity of purchasing an older model of the B6 and rebadging with the original BMW dealership documents prior to modifications. I was in Germany for ten years and visited the Alpina auto manufacturer a couple of times. They can modify older BMW's that are popular because they have build kits on hand. With the price of a new BMW, sending a used BMW to Alpina for modification and rebuild is a smart choice. Good going.....and nice score !!!

Hi Bill. It is a beauty! Kinda like buying an instant Classic! It will always be a classic and sought after car.

Does it come with a hard top option? Did you get one?

Yes Leland47, it had the hard top already installed upon delivery with a box in the trunk with the kit to assemble the roll around tubular storage rack for the hard top.
I was such a wuss that I drove it for 2 years before I had my friend wash, wax and detail the car before top removal to be stored in my living room covered with it`s included cover( no wife, or live in GF to be concerned with), but it`s stored now in the car garage..
There is even more tales of strong consternation/anxiety that went with this almost $150,000.00 tax title,insurance & tag purchase to be told !!!
But remember I had been driving nothing but a 4.3 V6 liter 1987 Astro van since 87, and had to relearn how to safely drive a rather perky and very, very responsive 4.8 liter V8 "torque monster" + tight steering(Think right, it goes right, and vise versa!) with early on over steering issues for me until I learned to calm myself.. Mercy Sakes Alive..
But I finally settled in with it within a month or two with it`s handling and performance and we have become very good friends.
Seems to be quite a bit of interest in this BMW(AKA "My overly priced German Conveyance") on this site..

Thank you guys for your kind compliments & interest. Kind regards, OKB

nice car, the one thing that's troubling me is that the 4.8L V8 is mated to an auto transmission!

anything with almost 400lb of tq needs a 3rd pedal IMO

as far as german sports cars you choose wisely.. I read that these have sold for 300k+ at auction, the mid 2000s didn't churn out a lot of cars that age gracefully.. and appreciate in value

enjoy it man

Yah, it does look like the 508....

With the BMW badging, I thought it was just a Z8. That's a great car, in fact either car, the BMW or the Alpina. I guess badging an Alpina with BMW badges is a good way to get it through customs. Had the opportunity of purchasing an older model of the B6 and rebadging with the original BMW dealership documents prior to modifications. I was in Germany for ten years and visited the Alpina auto manufacturer a couple of times. They can modify older BMW's that are popular because they have build kits on hand. With the price of a new BMW, sending a used BMW to Alpina for modification and rebuild is a smart choice. Good going.....and nice score !!!
Thanks Djcoolray, from what I understand my Z8 Alpina has slightly less HP(397 I believe) but a chunk more torque(don`t remember the value) than the state side manufactured Z8`s 400 HP. The Alpina badge is on the rear below the lower end of the trunk lid`s lip edge with the standard BMW icon badge on the bottom of the trunk lid.

Last edited:
nice car, the one thing that's troubling me is that the 4.8L V8 is mated to an auto transmission!

anything with almost 400lb of tq needs a 3rd pedal IMO

as far as german sports cars you choose wisely.. I read that these have sold for 300k+ at auction, the mid 2000s didn't churn out a lot of cars that age gracefully.. and appreciate in value

enjoy it man
While I couldn`t agree more about 4.8L mated to a auto tranny, with my physical limitations, by law I can only drive a car so equipped. But I hear you.
That`s what I`ve been told :beerchug: , but was never was the reason for purchase, in fact, from the events that led up to me buying it were really more of a happenstance !! Go figure ? :dunno:

Last edited:
Did a little looking around. Found some interesting history about the 503 and the 507, both were designed by the same guy, by the name of Count Albrecht Goertz. Goertz was working for the Designer Raymond Loewy....and worked on the Studebaker designs.
Anyway....an interesting read. Goertz later designed the Datsun 240Z!

Clipped from Hemmings Motor News:

"Towards the end of 1955 a 3.2-litre version was introduced and the big saloon’s model designation changed to ‘502’.Clearly, this new state-of-the-art V8 had considerable potential as a sports car engine. Sales Director Hanns Grewenig had been pressing for a V8-engined sports car for some time but it was not until Mercedes-Benz introduced the 300SL that the project was given the green light. BMW was encouraged by Austrian-born entrepreneur Max Hoffman, at that time the US importer of various European makes, who knew just the man to style the car: Count Albrecht von Goertz, an independent industrial designer who had worked for the legendary Raymond Loewy on the latter’s trend-setting Studebakers. Designer of everything from fountain pens to furniture, Goertz had never before styled an entire car and would not work for BMW again until the 1980s, by which time he had produced another classic automobile: the Datsun 240Z.Goertz was commissioned to produce two different designs, both of which debuted in prototype form at the Frankfurt Auto Show towards the end of 1955. The more conservative of the two – the 503 – retained the 502 saloon’s 2,834mm wheelbase chassis, suspension and centrally mounted, column-change gearbox, while the 507 was built on a much shorter wheelbase, which necessitated attaching the gearbox directly to the engine. (The Series II 503 – introduced in 1957 – used the 507-type engine/transmission arrangement complete with floor-mounted change). As installed in the alloy-bodied 503, the 3.2-litre V8 produced 140bhp, which was good enough for a top speed of 118mph (190km/h). With its long bonnet, 2+2 seating and generously sized boot, the 503 looked every inch the elegant Grand Routier. Even Pinin Farina was impressed, declaring it to be the most beautiful car in the show. Had the 507 not debuted at the same time, it would no doubt have also been the most memorable.BMW high-performance, V8-engined cars of the 1950s attracted a small but discerning clientele, including some very well known names from the motor sporting world. Expensive and exclusive, the 503 was built both as a closed coupé and a convertible."

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 12.40.26 PM.png

Last edited:
You have to learn the correct way to smile and lick you eyebrows.:beatnik:

I tried that usedto, but my eyebrows started looking like they had a "doughnut glazing" appearance to them after a while, and smiling with that look didn`t seem to be effective even after I bought them 4 drinks !!! HA !!

They usually just wanted for me to let them drive my Alpina.
But as much as I love and enjoy the Ladies, that wasn`t going to happen.
Not with the flaky way most of them drive !!

Thanks for the suggestion/input though..
Regards, OKB

BMW Z8 Alpina, made in Greer, SC (Bubba Makes Wheels)

In Greer SC. you say ?? Please confirm with absolute !! I think your thinking of the ~5555 Z 8`s that were poring out of SC.
All "555" Z8 Alpina`s were built in Germany from all the inside information that I was gleaning , post, and my assembly photos sent to me via e-mail during assembly from May 2003 until October 2003 and the e-mail source was not originated from this country.

Might want to double check your erroneous inter web sources there Sir.

Updated to reflect facts. Hope it's reliable and doesn't give you woe.

Ok show your source with proof, and I will initiate a class action law suit against BMW NA.
I took on and won hands down Dade county FL. & the University of Miami for a very large sum and will not hesitate to thump anyone else for lying or deceiving.

Would a 100 + big ones be a good starters to feed/finance a class action lawsuit legal machine ?
2 CYBER SAVEY & KNOWLAGEBLE ATTORNEY FRIENDS would easily depute your inter bubby net claim..
Show me your undisputable "Bubba" source, don`t tell me !!
No Woes here KentTeffteller.

Or are you so bored on this Saturday evening that your trying to find my buttons.

Enjoy yourself as you see fit.
Regards, OKB

Err....Kent's not known to be a trouble maker. I guess he misread something.

Quite a few of us are "Bubbas" who enjoy swapping lies.

We'll try to be careful.

The Z8 wasn't made in South Carolina. You're confusing the Z3 and Z4 with the Z8. The Alpina version of the Z8 was simply a way to get an automatic transmission in the car for those who asked for one. The BMW Z8 was only available in a stick. Alpina did some other tricks like an entirely different engine with a bit less horsepower but a bit more torque. The suspension was a bit softer on initial bounce due to the Alpina progressively wound and tapered springs but would stiffen up nicely when the demands required. Special Alpina leather interior and gauges also separated the Alpina from the standard Z8.

Primarily intended for the USA market (California), the color palette was kept simple though other colors were offered in the handful that were sold outside the USA, including the special Alpina Blue which was offered in the Canadian market Alpinas. Titanium Silver is rather common (my wife's 5-series is Titanium).

BTW, I still have my limited edition Z8 watch given to me at the International Launch for the Z8 in California. I was very proud to have shot my first cover with the Z8 in an orange grove.

Back
Top Bottom