OK, gearheads....better sit down for this one....

Wow!

Where were these in the late 60's? Most trannies prob couldn't have handled all that power back then.

Q

Lots of innovation in that engine. The roller-guided lifter is a great idea, Harley-Davidson has used it since its first OHV engine. Most likely HD borrowed the technology. The alloy spring seats will help draw heat from the spring, as does the alloy valve seats wicks heat off the valve head. It's quite the engineering feat.
The high compression and use of a steel shim head gasket says a lot about the reliability of the Cometic gasket.

I read that article as I subscribed and wow! Big $ though as it looks to be all CNC and the best AL materials and maybe all or some billet AL.

What the heck octane rating would you need for a 16:1? Sure can't run on any pump gas. My 11.5:1 350 has to have 93 Octane or it does nothing but ping and knock.

There are Diesel engines set up for racing that run 14:1 and 16:1 maybe the std now (or close to it) with TDI engines used now.

Diesels run on compression ignition though. I think the old Beemer motor in my Lincoln is 18:1. Gasoline is a whole lot more volatile, compressing it that much will usually make it light off before you're really ready to. Direct injection is a work-around since you can control when it lights off by controlling when the fuel goes in. Not so easy with carbs or port injection though. Honestly using a distributor and a fuel toilet I can't guess how this is meant to work.

Current Pro Stock engines are 500 inches and rev over 11,000 RPM. They are said to make about 1,400 HP. They have rules that keep the ultra-expensive metals used in Formula One out of NHRA. Looks like the engine being discussed also uses readily available alloys.
That is a lot of compression for race gas, but they are running ratios very close to that now. As mentioned above, alcohol based fuels will work and also increase power.
The raised cam and the large diameter is also said to be a big deal. Valve train rigidity at high RPM is paramount. Short pushrods with correct geometry is definitely key. The use of the Spintron machine has helped engineers make improvements.
The technology these builders discover and apply is so impressive. Racing has progressed so much in the last 30 years.

What the heck octane rating would you need for a 16:1? Sure can't run on any pump gas. My 11.5:1 350 has to have 93 Octane or it does nothing but ping and knock.
Back in another lifetime, I had a heavily-built 327 with 13:1 pistons, it wouldn`t run on anything less than Sunoco 260, which was 104 octane leaded....what a great smell that fuel had ! (Expensive, too, @ 38 cents a gallon ! :) )

Dan Jesel is the real deal. I've been through his race shop and production facility's as a service tech and have seen stuff that was quite amazing. It's a first class manufacturing facility with world class machine tools.
Jesel valve train components are the best in the world, period. At the race engine shop that my buddy owns, Jesel products are used in all of the "cost be dammed" engine builds. It's sort of like purchasing an insurance policy, you know that your not going to "break" those components. It's the same with rods, crank etc.
I wish Dan all the success in the world with that engine.

BillWojo

There is a lot more than compression ratio that determine the rules of detonation. Quench, flame travel and other things come into play.

BillWojo

Back
Top Bottom