OK, gearheads....better sit down for this one....

Wonder why a push rod engine when OHC will rev a bit quicker, probably because his company is mostly push rod stuff. Easily over a 100 grand engine $$.

Last edited:
Push rod engines & overhead cam engines are quite different in the operation of opening & closing valves, otherwise than that there the same. Push rod engines use a cam shaft centrally located in the engine block driven by a chain or belt from the crankshaft. Overhead cam engines have their cam shaft inside the cylinder head driven by chain or belt from the crankshaft also. There’s more moving parts in a push rod engine then a OHV engine thusly a OHV can spin faster, mostly double overhead cam engines produce more rpms.

Last edited:
Push rod engines & overhead valve engines are quite different in the operation of opening & closing valves, otherwise than that there the same. Push rod engines use a cam shaft centrally located in the engine block driven by a chain or belt from the crankshaft. Overhead valve engines have their cam shaft inside the cylinder head driven by chain or belt from the crankshaft also. There’s more moving parts in a push rod engine then a OHV engine thusly a OHV can spin faster, mostly double overhead cam engines produce more rpms.
I think you`re confusing "Overhead VALVE engine" (i.e., anything that`s not a flathead) with "Overhead CAM engine"....

Back in another lifetime, I had a heavily-built 327 with 13:1 pistons, it wouldn`t run on anything less than Sunoco 260, which was 104 octane leaded....what a great smell that fuel had ! (Expensive, too, @ 38 cents a gallon ! :) )

Ah, Sunoco 260! Used to run that and Amoco "White gas" in my little 66 289 Mustang GT. I remember the smell of the exhaust. Seemed so much cleaner smelling then.

not to me. I must be the only car guy that hates the smell of race fuel and non-catted exhaust. It just makes my eyes water.

You should try methanol! Now that will make your eyes water. lol

Not to mention nitromethane!

There isn't a "manly man" that's "man" enough to NOT have their eyes water around nitro exhaust. Period. Nobody can successfully breathe nitric acid!!

That's why you frequently see the mechanics wearing what amounts to gas masks, when servicing Top Fuel and Funny Car engines...

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom