OK guys – I need some advice on a (high-end) used DVD (video) player

Tony C.

Here's the story. I am well-experienced in higher-end audio, and have owned a variety of systems over several decades. I run my current DVD player audio out through my vintage Accuphase E-303x, and the audio is just fine. When it comes to video, though, the Cary DVD-6 that I have owned for many years, and has served me well, appears to have reached the point of being significantly outdated, and so the time has come for an upgrade to a more up-to-date player.

I have been using the component video outputs on the Cary, as that is the only viable option. This worked sufficiently on my previous Samsung TV monitor, but I have just upgraded to a Panasonic TX-50DX730E, and the video is clearly not functioning anywhere near the potential of the monitor.

As much as I know about audio, I admit to having very limited knowledge of the video side. Before I left the U.S. (two years ago), I was using the last of the Sony Flagship CRTs, and was always pleased with the results. LEDs, though, are relatively new to me.

I understand that the Panasonic is "mid-range" in their lineup, but I would prefer to keep it and find a high-quality, compatible DVD player, unless anyone can convince me that there is a much better choice (including LG and Sumsung) in the price range.

So, based on that premise, and as I am used to finding value in high-quality used equipment, I searched my local classifieds and found a Pioneer BDP LX-91 for sale. While obviously several years old, from the research I have done, it seems to have been a fine player that would likely compare favorably with newer units. It is reportedly in mint condition, and the whole optical drive unit was replaced by Pioneer at some point because the DVD laser had failed. I can buy the unit for around $400.

My understanding is that this unit would be a serious upgrade from the Cary, and that it would be far more flexible in terms of both video output connections, and the ability to fine tune the video.

My questions, then, are whether this sounds like a good upgrade path, or whether there are other brands/models that I should consider as alternatives. Also, while obviously a very basic question, is the HDMI
connection clearly preferable to a component connection? I have done some research, but am not yet clear on that issue.

Any insights that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Tony

yeah, what he said. Can't go wrong buying an Oppo. If you're using analog audio out, either look for a used 95 or 105 or wait for the upcoming 205 if you need 4K capability.

Also, HDMI is going to be preferable for video for anything made after ~2011 as since then component video has been limited to SD.

some DVD players upscale the video resolution from DVD to 4K. Also, if you listen to SACD then some units
(used to pass SACD only through RCA analogs) output only through HDMI so your receiver/amp
needs to support HDMI.

Here's the story. I am well-experienced in higher-end audio, and have owned a variety of systems over several decades. I run my current DVD player audio out through my vintage Accuphase E-303x, and the audio is just fine. When it comes to video, though, the Cary DVD-6 that I have owned for many years, and has served me well, appears to have reached the point of being significantly outdated, and so the time has come for an upgrade to a more up-to-date player.

I have been using the component video outputs on the Cary, as that is the only viable option. This worked sufficiently on my previous Samsung TV monitor, but I have just upgraded to a Panasonic TX-50DX730E, and the video is clearly not functioning anywhere near the potential of the monitor.

As much as I know about audio, I admit to having very limited knowledge of the video side. Before I left the U.S. (two years ago), I was using the last of the Sony Flagship CRTs, and was always pleased with the results. LEDs, though, are relatively new to me.

I understand that the Panasonic is "mid-range" in their lineup, but I would prefer to keep it and find a high-quality, compatible DVD player, unless anyone can convince me that there is a much better choice (including LG and Sumsung) in the price range.

So, based on that premise, and as I am used to finding value in high-quality used equipment, I searched my local classifieds and found a Pioneer BDP LX-91 for sale. While obviously several years old, from the research I have done, it seems to have been a fine player that would likely compare favorably with newer units. It is reportedly in mint condition, and the whole optical drive unit was replaced by Pioneer at some point because the DVD laser had failed. I can buy the unit for around $400.

My understanding is that this unit would be a serious upgrade from the Cary, and that it would be far more flexible in terms of both video output connections, and the ability to fine tune the video.

My questions, then, are whether this sounds like a good upgrade path, or whether there are other brands/models that I should consider as alternatives. Also, while obviously a very basic question, is the HDMI
connection clearly preferable to a component connection? I have done some research, but am not yet clear on that issue.

Any insights that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Tony

Wow, $400 for a used DVD player seems pretty expensive. Especially if it supposedly had parts replaced. I would want to see the paperwork for that service.

https://www.lifewire.com/video-upscaling-the-basics-1846952

"For example, DVD players that have HDMI outputs also have built-in upscaling so that DVDs will look better on an HD or 4K Ultra HD TV or video projector. It is also important to point out that all Blu-ray Disc players have built-in video upscaling for providing better quality playback of standard DVDs."

Why buy a used DVD player when you can get a new Blu-ray that plays both formats AND upscales DVDs?

HDMI is the standard in HiDef connects, period. It is simple and easy to use. There will always be somebody that thinks one format or the other is no good but HDMI is the ONLY game in town so if you want a modern setup, HDMI the only game in town.

Oppo does have a corner on its segment of the market. Folks think it sounds great and the picture beautiful. I can't argue, but do feel all is not perfect in paradise. I don't know if its Oppo fault or DTS and Dolby. But I have heard better sound from Pioneer Elite and other players. just seems the highs could be better and the staging better balanced. I am sure with long term experience and with slight tune ups the staging will be improved, but irritating highs are irritating highs. I have the same issue with Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, and Sony. My favorite when I was in the business was Lexicon for processing. I will say I audition players in the stereo mode first. If they can't cut it first there, I usually move on.

Ayre right now is on my confused list. They are great players but why so austere sounding.

Last edited:
Update: I bought the Pioneer and am quite happy. The upscaling for regular DVDs, of which I have many, is excellent. The only criticisms that I have are that the menus are a bit cumbersome, and the remote is not so well designed. But in terms of picture quality, really excellent. Don't forget that this was a very high-end machine when first sold.

I suppose that it will prove to have been a mistake should it fail over the next couple of years, but barring that, I rather doubt that I would experience much higher quality with any comparably priced new players.

For some further perspective, consider that I am using a re-capped Accuphase E-303x integrated amp, and 15yo Electrocompaniet EMC-1UP CD player, so I've never felt the need to use the very latest equipment.

Back
Top Bottom