OK.. here are the pics for my 2285B project

Mike Sweeney

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Looks to be virgin but very, very dirty. Small amount of rust. Every bulb is burnt out. I'm told it works after a fashion but I have not turned it on yet. I've got most of the caps and transistors I need. So this weekend I'll start the process. The case will need some TLC but I have not decided if a complete new veneer is in order or some patching and keeping the patina

IMG_2395.jpg
IMG_2396.jpg
IMG_2397.jpg
IMG_2400.jpg
IMG_2398 (1).jpg
IMG_2399 (1).jpg

Looks to be virgin but very, very dirty. Small amount of rust. Every bulb is burnt out. I'm told it works after a fashion but I have not turned it on yet. I've got most of the caps and transistors I need. So this weekend I'll start the process. The case will need some TLC but I have not decided if a complete new veneer is in order or some patching and keeping the patina
Wow!, Where has that thing been to get so filthy? That's going to take some serious cleaning time. Good luck.

The really dirty ones are the most fun for me. I like to mow and edge an overgrown yard, detail a filthy car, and as a dentist, I like to make ugly teeth pretty. It's just very fun to me to take a sow's ear and make a silk purse out of it. Have fun and let us follow your progress. :thumbsup:

The really dirty ones are the most fun for me. I like to mow and edge an overgrown yard, detail a filthy car, and as a dentist, I like to make ugly teeth pretty. It's just very fun to me to take a sow's ear and make a silk purse out of it

LOL..indeed.. you should have seen my 67 Cougar "project" car.. my wife thought I was insane when I got it. Took about 2 years but turned out pretty well in the end.

Pretty good coat of fur growing in there.

I've always wanted to do some straight grained, high contrast veneer like rosewood on a Marantz case. I'd have one built for my 4400 if it didn't run as hot as an oven.

So last night and this AM I managed to get the 2285 up and working after a fashion. First thing was to give it a fast scrub with alcohol and a soft brush to get the grim off. Then I checked all fuses and the boards for anything that stood out.. big black marks etc. Then I hooked it up to my variac and used my clamp-on amp meter to monitor the flow of electrons. I did replace the lamps with LEDs because all the OEMs were toast. So at least I could geta visual :) At 80 VAC the lights came on but no sound of any kind. At 120, I was pulling 3.0 amps and no sound but I could see the signal meter move on FM. So it was working at some level. Shut it all down and disconnected. DeOxit on all the pots and brought it back up.. Now I have 60 cycle hum.. and very scratchy sounds here and there on the dial. Down.. cleaned the power switch, cleaned headphone jack, scrubbed pots again and then applied some Faderlube.. bring it up again. 3.0 amps.. 60 cycle hum but now I reasonable sound on a strong FM stations but distortion that comes and goes.. This is a good starting point :) I pulled one of the two 6800 caps and it was corroded around one of the terminals. Testing the cap showed one good at 7200uf.. but the 2nd one as 220pf :eek: Good thing I have new caps.. quite a few of them as it turns out :D I'll get these two monsters rebuilt and going then move on to the power supply.

I show how I clean the Marantz switches and use some of the new DeOxit lube. The burnishing tool shows the crud that came off the contacts. The tone board is pretty easy to work on compared to my 2226B. The size difference in the caps are Nichicon 63 volt 10,000uf vs Rubycon 80 volt 6800uf. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the 10,000uf caps even though they are just a match for the 63 volts. I normally bump up a bit here but I want it to all fit in the old cap body one I get it emptied out. Opinions?

IMG_2425.jpg IMG_2427.jpg IMG_2431.jpg IMG_2436.jpg IMG_2437.jpg IMG_2440.jpg IMG_2444.jpg

Great start! Be sure and show us how you wire those double stuffed caps. I see them discussed, but haven’t seen how they are actually wired.:thumbsup:

I'll be following this to a degree.. MatthewK did a pretty decent job of it. I've seen another where they built a new custom mounting plate so you do not stuff the old caps. I'm sort of bouncing between the two. I'm not married to having the "look" since nobody but me sees the chassis :) Very unlike my 1930 Cathedral radios with the chassis in plain sight.

The really dirty ones are the most fun for me. I like to mow and edge an overgrown yard, detail a filthy car, and as a dentist, I like to make ugly teeth pretty. It's just very fun to me to take a sow's ear and make a silk purse out of it. Have fun and let us follow your progress. :thumbsup:

I just did that on four Bang & Olufsen Red Line speakers for a friend. Two of them had the old style bass ports with the foam surrounds completely rotted and tons of dirt from sitting in storage. Replaced the entire front panel on those, re-built the crossovers and re-grilled the fronts after his old cat had used them for scratching posts. Fun stuff!
DSC_1543.JPG

Here was the test run of two 10,000uf 63 volt caps set up to mimic the all in one. Worked perfectly and no AC hum.. not that I'm going to leave the other alone.. I brought it up on my variac just in case :eek: But works really.. this alone brought the FM sensitivity up a fair bit. Not surprising given how badly one of the two internal caps had failed

IMG_2445.jpg

Here was the test run of two 10,000uf 63 volt caps set up to mimic the all in one. Worked perfectly and no AC hum.. not that I'm going to leave the other alone.. I brought it up on my variac just in case :eek: But works really.. this alone brought the FM sensitivity up a fair bit. Not surprising given how badly one of the two internal caps had failed

View attachment 1100512
Nice! If you want to impress your friends, just leave it that way. :rflmao:

I haven't heard of many totally failed filter caps. Wonder if the dual section caps have a higher failure rate?

I'd put those 10000uF Nichicons in, looks like an easier job than the taller Rubycons.

I'd put those 10000uF Nichicons in, looks like an easier job than the taller Rubycons.
Funny thing about that ;).. I had a long drive today and along the way I gave this a fair bit of thought. I'm not going to stuff the old cans. I'm going to build a daughter board and mount the 4 new caps conventionally. Why? because I don't give a damn about maintaining the "look" of something nobody will ever see in my lifetime :D What I do care about is fixing it easily in the off chance one of the new caps takes a dump on me. Trying to unstuff the old caps and then re-stuff them is just not worth it. Having a clean daughter board with normally mounted caps will be clean and much easier to repair if the need ever comes up. I'm just deciding now on perf board or making my own PWB.
This post from Deltalight got me thinking on my drive :)
I had to go to photo bucket direct to get the images, the links do not work anymore on the post.

fuelsaver_2285B_caps.jpg fuelsaver_caps_2.jpg

Funny thing about that ;).. I had a long drive today and along the way I gave this a fair bit of thought. I'm not going to stuff the old cans. I'm going to build a daughter board and mount the 4 new caps conventionally. Why? because I don't give a damn about maintaining the "look" of something nobody will ever see in my lifetime :D What I do care about is fixing it easily in the off chance one of the new caps takes a dump on me. Trying to unstuff the old caps and then re-stuff them is just not worth it. Having a clean daughter board with normally mounted caps will be clean and much easier to repair if the need ever comes up. I'm just deciding now on perf board or making my own PWB.
This post from Deltalight got me thinking on my drive :)
I had to go to photo bucket direct to get the images, the links do not work anymore on the post.

View attachment 1100780 View attachment 1100781

@deltalight (Bill) did that mod on my 2285B the plastic fuse light rack was also busted up and he installed a custom LED light bar. it sounds awesome fit in nicely and looked great. i cant find any pics i must not of taken any nudies which is strange, i will have to remember next time i open it up or switch cases.

Last edited:
Deltalight (Bill) did that mod on my 2285B the plastic fuse light rack was also busted up and he installed a custom LED light bar. it sounds awesome fit in nicely and looked great
That would be sweet to see.. my lightbox is mostly intact but brittle as hell. I've cracked it twice just looking at it :/ I keep thinking it should justify a 3D printer but I'm not sure how to sneak it into the house. The audio gear is hard enough :D

Catrafter gave me the idea of fitting both of my cap pairs into the existng clamps with filler blocks. Worked out nicely.
Jerry

That board with the 4 filters and bypass caps looks really nice.

I wish there were aftermarket lamp housings for the "B" models, like the nice 3D printed one I got for the 4400. The one in my 2216B crumbled with the slightest touch.

Back
Top Bottom