Ok here goes: One mans experience and opinion about the over sampling ripping of ALL HIS CDs ...

Yes that is why I asked. As far as I can tell, this thread is about WMP. So I was curious how to do this.

I use Windows Media Player version 12. I do not see a rip setting for 24/192. How do you do this?
Ok rwartner, here is what you do to adjust the rip rate in WMP. Open WMP up, look at top left hand corner for organize, drop it down, options, rip music, there is a audio quality slider at the bottom, slide it where you wish.. Max is 24/192.. There is other settings available as well such as format that can effect things that I haven`t explored yet & automatic rip when you have WMP open and you insert a CD to rip(sped up my rip session in a assembly line fashion back in October).. Don`t forget to check your computer`s sound settings when playing 24/192 to make sure it`s set to reproduce at that rate, if your computer/sound card/DAT supports it. Good luck Sir. Regards, OKB

I am familiar with WMP and the options settings. There is no "24/192" setting.
Perhaps you are confusing 24/192 with 192 kbps. I believe there is a difference. I am not the right person to explain.

I think that any improvement is being heard from the OPPO's DAC being better than the previous converter. Most likely has nothing to do with sampling rates at all.

I am familiar with WMP and the options settings. There is no "24/192" setting.

It's really a matter of the codec rather than WMP per se, and OP has not indicated what codec he is using. I see references online to WMP Lossless going at least to 24/96, and for 5.1 at that.

I don't have recent Windows stuff (sorry, Mac user here...) so y'all will have to sort that out.

edit: "online" was typo'd "only"

Last edited:
I think that any improvement is being heard from the OPPO's DAC being better than the previous converter. Most likely has nothing to do with sampling rates at all.
IMHO I don`t think so.. The Sony multi-CD/DVD player was S/PDIF fed to a RDL (Radio Design Laboratories) DAT capable up to 24/192 & level controls and was in use for well over 2 years when I was forced to rip music to my Dell lap-top.. And when I finished ripping I bought a well respected Peach Tree Audio X1 usb to S/PDIF converter to feed the same R.D.L. DAT. NO OTHER CHANGES WHERE MADE in the audio setup !! The rack Mac C37 preamp was still the same & input selection same as was fed by the Sony before it`s demise.. I only recently tested the 24/192 ripped music on a thumb drive transferred from the Dell on the OPPO through my main living room`s A/V system.. The S/PDIF is limited because of copyright restrictions to a lower sample rate than 24/192 and would not produce sound when directly fed to my racks Integra`s S/PDIF input.. So a few weeks ago I decided to try my luck with the "overly" sampled ripped music thumb drive stuffed in to the OPPO`s USB port and see/hear what it sounds like on a very high quality and excellent sounding(by all who have heard it) ($60,000+ audio playback system.. I had never ever played non optical music through the OPPO before, and needed to figure it out.. That Dennis Garner, is where your confusing the comparison.. Also after the change over to the music dedicated Lap-top, I felt that my back ground music should sound better then did.. So I did some research and ordered a Grace Design M 920 multi-input(USB,S/PDIF,ect.) DAT(also 24/192 capable).. Swapped out the RDL for it, and after about 24 hrs. power on pre-burn in on the kitchen table.. Well, whatever edgy high freq. artifacts that were present before smoothed out.. Right now I can easily switch between the OPPO and two lap-tops(one S/PDIF & one USB, feeding the Grace with identical "over sampling ripped music.. Anyway I think that about covers this setup.. It works for me.. All you guys might have different experiences, and opinions and that`s fine.. Thank you.. Regards, OKB

Last edited:
It's really a matter of the codec rather than WMP per se, and OP has not indicated what codec he is using. I see references only to WMP Lossless going at least to 24/96, and for 5.1 at that.

I don't have recent Windows stuff (sorry, Mac user here...) so y'all will have to sort that out.
No 5.1 conversion.. WMA is codec ? Above my pay grade !! When my ripped music files property`s are looked at they report 24 bit @192 kbps FWIW. I don`t concern myself with in-depth knowledge about all this.. What I`ve done is working very well here

WMA is a data format and there is a corresponding codec for WMP to produce or decode that kind of data file. There are several versions, WMA, WMA LL, WMA Pro, WMA Lossless, maybe more WMA types. Also MP3, AAC, FLAC, etc. Some data formats allow only mono or stereo, others 5.1 or whatever. Some codecs are lossy, which means that information is lost in processing. Others are lossless, which means all the information is preserved.

WMA is a data format and there is a corresponding codec for WMP to produce or decode that kind of data file. There are several versions, WMA, WMA LL, WMA Pro, WMA Lossless, maybe more WMA types. Also MP3, AAC, FLAC, etc. Some data formats allow only mono or stereo, others 5.1 or whatever. Some codecs are lossy, which means that information is lost in processing. Others are lossless, which means all the information is preserved.
Yes, I understand, as they are available in rip settings in the "Yuk" WMP, that`s "easy sleazy" for a fundamentality 62 year old analog guy, who only cares about flawless quality music delivery available when he desires it.. Which is about 16~18 hrs. a day from wakeup to the change over to DVD/BluRay movie watching for the evening.. :music: = :thumbsup: Thank you audiotemp for your kind consideration & and input on my one mans opinion and experience.. Take care Sir. and have a good evening and week.. Regards,OKB

Yes, I`m picking up on it.. No lossy desired or excepted & no FLAC either( please don`t defend/debate, as I`ve been reading("lurking" for months here) about and am not comfortable with anymore digital processing then needed(remember I stated that I`m not entirely comfortable with computer based music).. Large capacity SSDs are inexpensive(at least to me) and are not electro/mechanical + their reliable & fast too .. Thanks again Sir.

The Sony multi-CD/DVD player was S/PDIF fed to a RDL (Radio Design Laboratories) DAT capable up to 24/192 & level controls and was in use for well over 2 years when I was forced to rip music to my Dell lap-top.. And when I finished ripping I bought a well respected Peach Tree Audio X1 usb to S/PDIF converter to feed the same R.D.L. DAT. NO OTHER CHANGES WHERE MADE in the audio setup !! The rack Mac C37 preamp was still the same & input selection same as was fed by the Sony before it`s demise.. I only recently tested the 24/192 ripped music on a thumb drive transferred from the Dell on the OPPO through my main living room`s A/V system.. The S/PDIF is limited because of copyright restrictions to a lower sample rate than 24/192 and would not produce sound when directly fed to my racks Integra`s S/PDIF input.. So a few weeks ago I decided to try my luck with the "overly" sampled ripped music thumb drive stuffed in to the OPPO`s USB port and see/hear what it sounds like on a very high quality and excellent sounding(by all who have heard it) ($60,000+ audio playback system.. I had never ever played non optical music through the OPPO before, and needed to figure it out.. That Dennis Garner, is where your confusing the comparison..
Your explanation is still a bit confusing. Whether or not you used the same DAC or different SPDIF, etc. it reads like you heard the change once you switched to the OPPO, which has it's own, different DAC. Are you outputting from the OPPO via SPDIF to the same DAC? I'm trying to follow and truly understand what you actually did.

no FLAC either( please don`t defend/debate, as I`ve been reading("lurking" for months here) about and am not comfortable with anymore digital processing then needed
FLAC would only be used in place of WMA, not on top of. It wouldn't be any more digital processing than what you're already using, just a different codec. But, if you're happy with WMA, continue to use it by all means, I think people are just offering up alternatives.

Your explanation is still a bit confusing. Whether or not you used the same DAC or different SPDIF, etc. it reads like you heard the change once you switched to the OPPO, which has it's own, different DAC. Are you outputting from the OPPO via SPDIF to the same DAC? I'm trying to follow and truly understand what you actually did.
The DAC`s analog output is fed to a line level input on my Mac preamp.. The OPPO`s ANALOG output is fed to another input on the same Mac preamp.. The DAC has two DIGITAL inputs(1 S/PDIF & 1 USB). Two different lap-tops are feeding the DAC(one lap-top is fed to the DAC via the coax S/PDIF, and the other lap-top(in this case is 2 ft. away and is connected to the DAC via USB), and either can be selected, if desired, playing the exact same music transferred to them via a 256 Gig thumb drive from the original ripping lap-top(a Dell) The two different lap-top`s WMP playing music that are connected to the DAC can be switched in and out of my Mac preamp via it`s the DAC`s input selector.. I can with this connection scheme, see if there is any difference in SQ between very similar lap-tops different style feeds to the same HQ DAC.. Plus if one lap-top needs to be taken off line, then it`s a simple matter to switch the DAC`s input over to the other lap-top feed so my beloved music can continue.. Forget the OPPO.. In this case recently, as I thought I carefully explained in previous explanation was only involved as a main system SQ check to confirm my observation that IMHO 192 kbps rip rate as ripped and then play through a very high resolution main system in my living room sounded to all who listened to the "over sampled ripped music" thumb drive fed OPPO sounded excellent.. I don`t recall ever comparing the sound of the OPPO to the lap-tops feeding the DAC since the OPPO`S analog output is feeding another input on the Mac preamp .. Please carefully read, and re-read, if needed, all my explanations/answers, if you will please.. Thank you dodog. Regards, OKB

FLAC would only be used in place of WMA, not on top of. It wouldn't be any more digital processing than what you're already using, just a different codec. But, if you're happy with WMA, continue to use it by all means, I think people are just offering up alternatives.
My whole house back ground music distribution is some what complicated and redundant in it`s ability to provide me with high quality music all day, every day 365.. NOW since Oct. last year via the Computer`s stored music files streaming through a DAC`s analog hard wire feeds to 2 garages, and three bedrooms.. Where before the music source was a Sony 400 CD/DVD disc player.. No computer was trusted or used with my music until I was forced by failure of Sony.. I know enough about FLAC to stay with what I have.. All sounds excellent at this end.. If it didn`t then I would invest the time and money to make it so.. Take care dodog and have a great week Sir. Regards, OKB

I wonder if I overwhelming you guys with too much detail & information about what I did and am doing with my fairly recent confusing computer audio setup, and possibly, your not carefully reading, and or re-reading, if needed, all my posts/answers, if you will.. DSCN0033.JPG PS. There is no OPPO S/PDIF connections used at all in this digital music scheme, and it`s not feeding my Grace Audio DAC either.. My main living room`s rack system is the octopus`s head & head end for my whole house`s 5 room analog audio distribution system. I`m a retired sound engineer, and my A/V systems can be complex and confusing because of their versatility and redundancy. It`s what can happen when you have your whole life to yourself for many decades... Thank you. Kind regards, Over Kill Bill :crazy: =:music:

Last edited:
I don't know a bit from a bite so I am going to do this the simplest way that I know about. I am about to buy a Bluesound Vault 2.

Is that an ADAT I see in your rack and what McIntosh amp is that at the bottom if you don't mind my asking? So to summarize, rippling at 24 / 192 is an improvement over ripping at 24 / 44.1?
No ADAT in the rack, but own a early nineties TASCAM DA-30 located elsewhere.. Louisjames, Sir. That is a early sixties MC 60 tuber totally electronically restored by me minus the not needed rectifier tubes for my center channel A/V setup to help tonally match my 4 late model reissue left/right high freg/mid freq MC 275sDSCN0019.JPG in my tri-amp configuration feeding a front pair of Mac XRT 30s speakersDSCN0019.JPG As to the SQ from my over sampling music ripping fed/distributed through my whole house`s multiple different quality audio systems via 2 lap-tops with the same 192kbpsmusic + the main very high quality living room`s one fed via thumb drive feeding a OPPO BDP 103 containing the very same overly sampled @192kbps music ... Other trusted "Bat eared" friends & myself think so.. I trust my ears over all the mathematics, opinions, ABX testing & theories stating why that can`t be possible.. I`m a Cynic by nature, and am not predisposed to the power of suggestion by any means.. And I trust my senses and aural perception.. Salespersons over the years often end up frustrated with me trying to convince me to buy something that I don`t like or want/need.. Thank you for your interest Sir. Please pursue as you deem best for what sounds best to your ears, regardless what anybody tells you that your sound should be.. Regards, OKB

Attachments

• DSCN0013.JPG
    DSCN0013.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I wonder if I overwhelming you guys with too much detail & information about what I did and am doing with my fairly recent confusing computer audio setup
Firstly, I'm glad you are thoroughly enjoying your new found high quality audio bliss. Keep on keepin' on man.

As to how you are ripping your CDs with Windows Media player to 24/192, ...for me (possibly others), you've not given enough detail.

While I have access to WMP I don't (never really have) use it in any daily driver sense. So I'm admittedly ignorant to this capability. But I'd like to know how to do this as well. I followed your instructions in post #23. Here's what my WMP rip options look like.

index.php

Is this what you have?

I don't know a bit from a bite so I am going to do this the simplest way that I know about. I am about to buy a Bluesound Vault 2.
I don`t know what a Bluesound Vault 2 is, and probably and most likely don`t care.. However, if it does for you what you wish, well that`s great.. Find the best sound you can & enjoy the music.. Yes/No ?? OKB

Back
Top Bottom