Ok here goes: One mans experience and opinion about the over sampling ripping of ALL HIS CDs ...

Lots of good comments in this thread. Like many of you, I ripped music in several forms over the years, & I added music files through purchases of digital music as well. Also like many of you, I was not fully happy with my situation as to formats, players, & devices. I finally decided to "bite the bullet" & re-rip everything I had to FLAC. I also decided to convert what I could, or re-download where possible, the digital content. The process was long & fraught with frustration with the digital content, but I am now pleased with my results.

I used EAC to re-rip all of my CDs. This took a long time, as I have over 8000 music files from CDs. EAC was confusing at first, but as I have seen mentioned, once setup, it is very easy to make it a repetitive production project. For playback on my PCs, I use Music Bee. I store my music on my desktop, laptop, and MS OneDrive for sync & backup. My son also syncs the full library to his laptop & PC, which normally reside halfway across the country. On mobile devices...my Andriod phone & laptop...I use Poweramp for playback. I am very pleased with the ease of use for everything now. I am also very pleased with playback quality through my vintage CR-1020 receiver, my current digital A/V receivers, my mobile devices, & my headphones attached to whatever device.

My latest car sound test has led to one recent change. I have been playing my mobile phone content through Bluetooth to my car's sound system. That was pretty good, & it allowed me to use the car's controls to navigate the music. I tried switching to a hard-wired connection for car playback, using the headphone jack plugged in the A/V source plugs. The sound is better, IMHO. I lose the navigation capability, but I like the sound better.

Ok Gents, FWIW. Here`s my update: I recently upsized both my Music lap-tops(both primary & secondary) SSDs to larger SSDs to handle all my re-ripped CDs now at WAV lossless at 1,4?? Mbps from my original ripping at 192kbps that I thought, because of my being a "Computer audio Novice" was a higher sampling rate then the CD`s 44.1.. When for the first time I ever opened up WMP`s options and selected the ripping dropdown menu.. All I took notice of was the default quality slider setting was set at 44.1.. So not knowing shit about computer CD ripping, I felt that by maxing the ripping quality slider to 192kbps "Best Quality" that I was hurriedly ripping my CDs to a better SQ.. Not wanting to take time to research this or any other site what would be the best method.. All I had was my OPPO`S free Pandora music internet streaming for background music :no: = :thumbsdown: I now realize that I was under sampling(lossy ripping).. I thought it sounded pretty good.. Much, much better than Pandora`s shitty SQ.. But I was wrong about what I ripped my CDs at, as +48V & others pointed out that a average CD`s music file is much larger then what I was seeing in my 192 kbps ripped file.. So I recently re-ripped all my CD`s again to WAV with what sounds considerably better now, as I have listening to the new WAV rips for about 12 + hours now through my multi-room distributed background audio systems scattered about my house.. The same amount of CDs were re-ripped as before, but of course the ripped music files went from 37. ? Gig @ 192kbps to 311 Gig @ 1,4?? Mbps.. Thanks to all here for steering me towards the better computer audio SQ path.. I now know more about computer audio SQ versus ripping rates than I ever really wanted to ever learn, or know, being an old timer analog audio guy in this ever increasing digital world.. I hope this updated thread to my original post won`t be considered a "Diatribe" :beerchug: !! Thanks.. Take care Gents.. Regards, a now digital audio humble OKB

Bill- Glad you got it all sorted out. Don't feel bad, we all have to learn somehow. I've made plenty of mistakes myself. Keep enjoyin' the tunes!

Bill- Glad you got it all sorted out. Don't feel bad, we all have to learn somehow. I've made plenty of mistakes myself. Keep enjoyin' the tunes!
Thank you dodog Sir, I just switched back over to my computer tunes again after watching Pale Rider BluRay DVD as I type.. I will load up the other secondary music lap-top with my "new found better resolution" music files later on today, as I like to have at least one music streaming connected lap-top available, should the other primary lap-top require maintenance/updates/reboot, ect.. Much smoother sounding and airy these WAV lossless rips are, depending, of course, on the SQ of the original ripped CD`s recording/production SQ.. My MFSL/Steven Wilson(re-mix) classic rock/jazz ripped CD`s sound really sweeeeet.. I am finding it difficult to shut down the audio system, even @ just shy of 4:00 AM Sunday morning DST !! Oh well, there`s a price to be paid being retired and single.. Take care Sir. and thanks for the interest and follow up.. Regards, OKB

What ?? No chastising for me not re-ripping my CDs again in the FLAC mode !! I`m disappointed and "Crest fallen" !! Yeah !! That statement should invoke some sort of interest/response !! Mercy Sakes Alive !! Well then, I`ll tell you, you digital music ripping streaming seasoned Veterans.. My current OPPO BDP 103, in which I will end up playing these new lossless WAV ripped music files through for the final sonic taste test evaluation indicates, in it`s manual, no guarantee of compatibly with FLAC.. But I know from my initial 15 CD WAV music ripping music test transferred to a flash drive that was inserted in one of it`s USB ports is in fact, compatible.. My recently purchased OPPO UDP 203 4K upgraded player by me, in which hasn`t been totally switched over/installed in the main A/V living room rack, other then temporally connected, has the ability, as indicated in the manual, to handle FLAC.. But as I`ve indicated before, I`m not comfortable with any more digital processes/`ing then necessary for encoding/decoding my ripping/playback of my computer based music.. Just a cynical old analog experienced sound engineer from years past.. So since I have more then enough SSD storage space available than my current music storage needs, I`ll stay with the data storage hogging WAV ripping.. SSDs price point per Gig storage capacity will continue to drop !! So, if my non-internet based CD collection ripping file music storage streaming becomes a issue, by acquiring more CDs, whether purchased or borrowed for "off site back up" for friends in the future.. Well there`s always Tiger Direct, Amazon, Best Buy, Office Depot, ect.. for the purchase of a ever larger capacity SSD`s to accommodate the required HD drive space needed here .. As always, just my opinion.. YMMV. Just more LONG WINDED "DIATRIBE" from an 62 yr. old retired ANALOG SOUND ENGINEER.. Thank you Gentlemen.. Regards, OKB

Bill, I'm with you on this, I ripped all of my CD's to WAV also (I also used WMP to rip, worked fine for me). I have a problem with the term "lossless compression", even though I've never been able to hear the difference. I don't want to have to deal with compatibility issues, although this had gotten better over the years. Besides, storage space has gotten very cheap over time, and with all of the money that many of us spend on audio equipment, why not go for zero compression?!
Paul

You guys promoting wav over FLAC should seriously consider getting some high end audiophile USB cables. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

What ?? No chastising for me not re-ripping my CDs again in the FLAC mode !! I`m disappointed and "Crest fallen" !! Yeah !! That statement should invoke some sort of interest/response !! Mercy Sakes Alive !! Well then, I`ll tell you, you digital music ripping streaming seasoned Veterans.. My current OPPO BDP 103, in which I will end up playing these new lossless WAV ripped music files through for the final sonic taste test evaluation indicates, in it`s manual, no guarantee of compatibly with FLAC..

I guess we are just too polite on this site but in my mind I thought that ripping to .wav was a mistake and that eventually you will re-rip to .flac. BTW, you can always decompress .flac to .wav at any time without losing any of the music just like you would a .zip file. There feel better? :D

BTW a pogoplug with the following chip and 128MB RAM has no problem playing .flac files.

Code:
processor: 0
model name: Feroceon 88FR131 rev 1 (v5l)
BogoMIPS: 795.44
Features: swp half thumb fastmult edsp
CPU implementer: 0x56
CPU architecture: 5TE
CPU variant: 0x2
CPU part: 0x131
CPU revision: 1

Hardware: Pogoplug V4
Revision: 0000
Serial: 0000000000000000

In my mind this barely qualifies as a computer.

Last edited:
What ?? No chastising for me not re-ripping my CDs again in the FLAC mode !! I`m disappointed and "Crest fallen" !! Yeah !! That statement should invoke some sort of interest/response !! Mercy Sakes Alive !! Well then, I`ll tell you, you digital music ripping streaming seasoned Veterans.. My current OPPO BDP 103, in which I will end up playing these new lossless WAV ripped music files through for the final sonic taste test evaluation indicates, in it`s manual, no guarantee of compatibly with FLAC.. But I know from my initial 15 CD WAV music ripping music test transferred to a flash drive that was inserted in one of it`s USB ports is in fact, compatible.. My recently purchased OPPO UDP 203 4K upgraded player by me, in which hasn`t been totally switched over/installed in the main A/V living room rack, other then temporally connected, has the ability, as indicated in the manual, to handle FLAC.. But as I`ve indicated before, I`m not comfortable with any more digital processes/`ing then necessary for encoding/decoding my ripping/playback of my computer based music.. Just a cynical old analog experienced sound engineer from years past.. So since I have more then enough SSD storage space available than my current music storage needs, I`ll stay with the data storage hogging WAV ripping.. SSDs price point per Gig storage capacity will continue to drop !! So, if my non-internet based CD collection ripping file music storage streaming becomes a issue, by acquiring more CDs, whether purchased or borrowed for "off site back up" for friends in the future.. Well there`s always Tiger Direct, Amazon, Best Buy, Office Depot, ect.. for the purchase of a ever larger capacity SSD`s to accommodate the required HD drive space needed here .. As always, just my opinion.. YMMV. Just more LONG WINDED "DIATRIBE" from an 62 yr. old retired ANALOG SOUND ENGINEER.. Thank you Gentlemen.. Regards, OKB
No chastising from me. As I mentioned earlier, ripping technique is a personal thing. Ya gotta do what makes YOU comfortable.
The pros/cons of WAV vs FLAC are well established. I say go with what works for you.

From what I've read, the 103 IS compatible with FLAC. Maybe it was one of those things where it wasn't mentioned in the early manual, and then they added it later?

I get where you're coming from on the "less processing" thing. Everything I've heard and read tells me it ain't an issue. But if your brain has gone to that place, and it affects your listening, that's how it is.
Just know that the FLAC folks(is that a 'thing') aren't pulling your chain. There are real benefits there.

Edit:
I also forgot to add that since you're keeping your music on your laptop(s), there's a way to shoot that to your OPPO instead of using memory sticks.
I personally find memory sticks a PIA.

I have a BDP83, and have dabbled with AssetUPNP with it.
I don't keep my music on my computer, my OPPO can't access my music hard drive where it is, and the interface on the 83 is really cumbersome, so it's not a long term solution for me, but I like the idea.
From what I've read, the newer OPPO players are way better in this regard.

It might be more than you want to deal with, but something to keep in mind.
Lots of help on this topic is you want to investigate it as an option.

Last edited:
Bill, I'm with you on this, I ripped all of my CD's to WAV also (I also used WMP to rip, worked fine for me). I have a problem with the term "lossless compression", even though I've never been able to hear the difference. I don't want to have to deal with compatibility issues, although this had gotten better over the years. Besides, storage space has gotten very cheap over time, and with all of the money that many of us spend on audio equipment, why not go for zero compression?!
Paul
Storage space isn't really all that much of a deal with FLAC anymore. Yeah, it saves space, and that's a good thing, but the REAL benefits lay elsewhere.
Trust me, if FLAC had bleh tagging ability like WAV does, and WAV had tagging ability like FLAC does, the people in the know with this would be all over saving their files as WAV.

Also, the term compression here isn't really fair.

FLAC compression is like a .zip file. Somebody puts together a document with words and pictures, zips it(compresses it), sends it to you, you unzip it, and it is the EXACT same as what was sent.
Somebody does the same document, but faxes it instead? THAT is like MP3-type compression.

You guys promoting wav over FLAC should seriously consider getting some high end audiophile USB cables. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Sincere ?!?! My explanation of why I didn`t in my case, is self evident, if my recent follow up post was properly read.. Sir.. I often wonder why I even bother with this site.. No "Audio fool " USB interconnects have been bought or even considered at this end.

No chastising from me. As I mentioned earlier, ripping technique is a personal thing. Ya gotta do what makes YOU comfortable.
The pros/cons of WAV vs FLAC are well established. I say go with what works for you.

From what I've read, the 103 IS compatible with FLAC. Maybe it was one of those things where it wasn't mentioned in the early manual, and then they added it later?

I get where you're coming from on the "less processing" thing. Everything I've heard and read tells me it ain't an issue. But if your brain has gone to that place, and it affects your listening, that's how it is.
Just know that the FLAC folks(is that a 'thing') aren't pulling your chain. There are real benefits there.

Edit:
I also forgot to add that since you're keeping your music on your laptop(s), there's a way to shoot that to your OPPO instead of using memory sticks.
I personally find memory sticks a PIA.

I have a BDP83, and have dabbled with AssetUPNP with it.
I don't keep my music on my computer, my OPPO can't access my music hard drive where it is, and the interface on the 83 is really cumbersome, so it's not a long term solution for me, but I like the idea.
From what I've read, the newer OPPO players are way better in this regard.

It might be more than you want to deal with, but something to keep in mind.
Lots of help on this topic is you want to investigate it as an option.
Yes I`m sure there is a way KrissM.. But I like a straight forward(KISS) direct connection interface.. I can easily connect my external(though it`s a 2.5 " form factor internal by design meant drive)SSD USB interface to the OPPO as well as a flash/thumb drive .. With it`s(the HD to USB interface ability to connect & play/transfer my WAV music files as needed, with little effort on my part.. After all isn`t a SSD really nothing more than a larger capacity, albeit a bulky one, flash drive with the additional requirements of a power feed connection ?? At least this has been my recent experience.. And seems to work very well in transferring large Gig WAV music files from the originating ripped to Lap-top to the internal stored(meaning no outside input, like no internet music feeds) streaming to dedicated(purposely configured/stripped down music streaming lap-tops... FLAC maybe perfect, but it`s still one more conversion going in, and one more `de-conversion coming out.. And this old analog Fart is not comfortable with any more "possible code/software glitches" screwing with his music then he already has to deal with in just straight forward lossless ripping his CD music as it is.. Thank you KrissM for your input and interest Sir..
Bottom line - hopefully it sounds good to you,
so you can appreciate the results of your hard work!

OKB
Storage space isn't really all that much of a deal with FLAC anymore. Yeah, it saves space, and that's a good thing, but the REAL benefits lay elsewhere.
Trust me, if FLAC had bleh tagging ability like WAV does, and WAV had tagging ability like FLAC does, the people in the know with this would be all over saving their files as WAV.

FLAC compression is like a .zip file. Somebody puts together a document with words and pictures, zips it(compresses it), sends it to you, you unzip it, and it is the EXACT same as what was sent.
Somebody does the same document, but faxes it instead? THAT is like MP3-type compression.

Paul
:thumbsup:,:music:

Yes, I`am aware, but I`m still not comfortable with 2 more additional processes over straight forward lossless direct ripping.. No software code will ever be totally glitch free.. And if you remember from my earlier post that I didn`t want to get in to this whole computer based music anyway, but was forced by the S/PDIF connected, but very good sounding Sony 400 CD/DVD player that up and (non repairable) failed me last early Oct. The 3rd one bought, that lived and died.. At least now, with music streaming based SSD lap-tops, the only concern is the failure of the internal cooling fan/s.. Look Ma, no spindle, and built in screen/keyboard & UPS to boot !!! ;)

That might be helpful.. On another slightly related computer SQ note, I recently replaced my primary music lap-top`s original SMPS "brick" with a higher capacity(120watt) after market universal multi-output voltage one while it was playing/streaming music for the sole purpose of better long term reliability.. And that was my only intention.. But when I substituted the new for original (90watt) while continuing playing with the Lap-top`s internal fresh battery carrying the few seconds of the SMPS switch over I firmly believe the lap-top`s SQ improved over the original with a pair of DQ 10 speakers fed by a Mac MC 2205 power amp four feet away facing me in my sunroom.. I repeat !! This Lap-top SMPS switch over was only intended for the cooler running 24/7/365 lap-top load versus reliability factor.. I was most pleasantly surprised.. And promptly ordered 3 more for the rest of my Lap-tops, whether used for music streaming or not .. These aftermarket replacement universal selectable voltage computer brick SMPS are very effective as a possible lap-top PS upgrade IMHO, without hooking up a scope to observe the cleanliness of it`s output.. Just some more "Diatribe" for anybody who might be interested.. Kind regards, OKB

So to summarize -- if I'm ripping a CD track to a wav file what would I want to rip at?

16 or 24 bit
44.1, 96 or 192

or since it's a CD is 16 / 44.1 the way to go because any higher won't add anything to the resulting sound quality?
Well louisjames that a loaded question.. My only recently exposure to this digital ripping SQ dilemma would suggest you do some test music rippings from a known high quality CD that you are very familiar with and try to compare between the source CD`s SQ versus the same CD rip played through the same sound system .. The loudness difference between the two sources(the CD & rip test should be matched closely so the test might be fair, as louder sounding music often makes one think that it sounds better compared to the same music at a slightly lower volume.. Then after careful comparison listening, go with what you think sounds the closest to the original or the best to your ears .. If you can discern no difference then go with what you want or can store on a hard drive or a flash drive.. I found out that ripping @ 192kbps in WMA is lossy by my ears and inspecting the CD`s file`s quantity compared to my original rip at WMA @192 kbps which falls short of the CD`s data amount, but is adjustable to even lower ripping rate SQ settings.. Where WAV is lossless and the quality slider is not adjustable, with the FLAC lossless quality slider settings grayed out as well.. There is also WMA lossless option as well and it`s quality adjustable slider is greyed out too.. So you get what you get in some of the format settings in WMP`s options drop down menu rip options.. I`m fairly new to the whole computer audio ripping SQ situation.. I`m sure others will chime in with their seasoned experience and suggestions later on being it`s 2:32AM DST as I type.. Good luck with whatever sampling/ripping rate/method you end up liking to your own ears.. Regards, OKB

Last edited:
LouisJames-

You want to rip LOSSLESS. I recommend Windows Media Audio Lossless, but WAV or FLAC works too.
Google WAV and WMP to read comparisons if you are interested.

upload_2017-3-21_6-57-13.png

Yes, I`am aware, but I`m still not comfortable with 2 more additional processes over straight forward lossless direct ripping.. No software code will ever be totally glitch free.. And if you remember from my earlier post that I didn`t want to get in to this whole computer based music anyway, but was forced by the S/PDIF connected, but very good sounding Sony 400 CD/DVD player that up and (non repairable) failed me last early Oct. The 3rd one bought, that lived and died.. At least now, with music streaming based SSD lap-tops, the only concern is the failure of the internal cooling fan/s.. Look Ma, no spindle, and built in screen/keyboard & UPS to boot !!! ;)
As I mentioned above(a couple of times, lol) it's a personal thing, and the pros/cons, blah blah blah.

But not going with FLAC just because of "additional processes" isn't really a factor.
The requirements for FLAC are small.
And, you do realize that both FLAC and WAV are containers, right? You're going through additional processes no matter which way you go. And a good computer/playback setup won't bat an eye at those processes.

Back
Top Bottom