OK hotrodders..question for you

ProAc_Fan

Addicted Member
I've got a 91 S-10 Blazer with an "issue". It has a factory digital dash. It's been giving me grief for the past 2 yrs. The speedo hasn't worked for the past 2 yrs but all the other guages were fine. I could kind of live with this cause my wife drives this truck and she doesn't speed anyway. Now in the last 2 weeks things have reversed. The speedo and odometer are working fine but ALL the important guages are kaput. Now I have no fuel guage,water temp,tach,oil pressure etc.. So here's the question.

Replacing the dash with one from a boneyard is almost $700. There's no way in hell I spend $700 for a used dash in a 14 yr old truck.

Do you think I could buy a set of analog guages ( Borg-Warner) in one of those little pods and attach it along the A pillar? Would that work?

Mike

Don't know S-10's and don't have a chilton's for one.. Many cars used a voltage regulator to power the sending units. If this went you lost the gauges you are talking about. Newer vehicles the sending units are powered off the ECU or Body controller then displayed on the dash.. There all different so a manual might put you in the right direction.

Might be worth the diagnostic fee to take it to a dealer and have them put a Tech 2 on it. This will test the computers and will even run the dash through a self test.

X

Well technically the guages are working but you just can't see them. I've been told that the problem is common and is located in the printed circuit board. I'm just wondering what kind of connections for all the guages are used with my dash. Would these connectors simply plug in to a set of analog guages or I am I biting off more than I can chew?

Mike

Your definately bitting off more than you can chew. There's probably one big plug connected to the circuit board. Each gauge will need it own new sending unit, wiring and gauge. I would go for the new dash over that nightmare. There would be less time involved and you would only be saving a couple hundred dollars.

X

Pro Ac Fan,
Is right your gauges are working.The problem is 'Backlighting'.Illumination of the gauges.
A common problem in GM digital dashes.
Once they are around 10 years or more they can start to develop strange intermintent or permenant problems.
My '85 Vette dash gave me backlighting problems a few years after I got it.Found a scrapyard donor got a dash for $100.
Replaced the main board problem solved.
Recently was going down the highway dash just froze on certain speed,temp,RPM.When I shut the car off then back on dash is flaked out and no 'backlighting'.Sent it off to get repaired for $175.00.I do not think the person works on or has parts for Blazers but I will check with him.
$700 is way to steep! You should be able to get a scapyard dash for under $400!

Thanks Mad. Remember that $700 is about $500CAN for the dash and roughly 4 hrs labour to install it. But if this is a common malady how long could I expect a boneyard dash to work? I'll find myself out $700 and in the exact same spot a year down the road.

Mike

Well my boneyard dash lasted five years before crashing on me.But of course you are taking a chance with one.It could last a year maybe five hard to say.I have kept the car in a garage most of the 7 years I have owned it.That may lend to the life of the dash mainboard? Its sitting out in the sun and the interior is cooking,plus the heat generated by the electronics themselves that eventually cooks the board.They are descent material boards coated with some kind of sustance to help with heat resistance but by no means military spec boards.

These dashes are no longer available from GM.And if they were your looking at $1500-$2000. Most places that repair these do not go down to component level.They just replace your main board from another donor dash.They usually have a whole stock of 'em from used and totaled vehicles.So even on repair you are taking a chance most gaurantee the work from 30 to 90 days only! Its a tough situation but not much you can do unless you can find a competent repair person.

Before you go and buy a dash, Take the old one apart and check the solder connections on the dc to dc converter, They usually crack with heat and age, Also the caps near the converter tend to dry out.
I used to repair these for a car dealer friend of mine and sometimes they can be brought back from the dead.

Oh okay. That begs another question then. How do I get to that main board. I tried to remove the dash before but was unsuccessful. The left hand side was easy enough ( the side with the headlight controls) but something was holding the right hand side ( with the temperature controls) in place which I couldn't decipher. Any body know how to get this dash out??

Mike

ProAc Fan,
The right side is where the power connector and the ECM harness are.There is a cutout back there to feed them thru.Unfortunately the connectors are right at the cutouts and cause total havoc to remove the dash.Usually the connector locks to the dash are on the backside! You have to coax the left side towards you then pull it gently to the left so the connectors can clear the cutouts.Then twist the dash downwards towards the face abit to get a screwdriver on the connector locks.It helps to remove the stereo and sometimes the A/C controls to help push the connectors thru.You need small hands! Getting the connectors back on is no pinic either! GM gave you very little wire harness slack there!:dammit: :mad:

Also the dash cavity is pretty tight with the display in there.There is a trick to getting the display out.Not sure on yours but on mine you coax the left side to the left and get the connectors clear of thier cutouts then left side back towards the firewall pull the whole thing forward abit then push the bottom back towards the firewall to clear the top and pull down on the top to lay on its face to get to the connector locks.Small metal clips.Once you learn the combination of twists and turns pull this side then that it makes it easier.Finding the combination is a royal pain in the a$$.;)
Hope this helps?:dunno:

Dood sound like way more trouble than it's worth, I would just try to rig up a speedometer and a gas guage. If the speedometer is too much trouble then just the gas guage ;)

I can't help Mike but i can offer solace. If you remember Santa does not use gauges in his sleigh.remember he got rid of them.
"Dash away,dash away all"

Just trying to help.

Alan:D

Back
Top Bottom