OK... I tried in General but no responses..... maybe here?

MannyE

Exterminate!
I'm looking for quality in-wall speakers for my home theater to replace the old workhorse DefTech BP2002 because they are going into the garage as part of the ultimate gaming computer.

I figure I will take this opportunity to gain some much needed space in the home theater and use in-wall speakers for the LCR.

But all I see is mid-fi looking stuff that I'm afraid won't be as good as the DefTechs they replace.

Any suggestions for decent in-wall speakers? Budget is anywhere from $1000 to $3000.

Give Monitor Audio 380 series a looksee. Older models are open baffle (use wall cavity as back box), newer ones come with integrated enclosed back boxes. Nice.

Last edited:
Sunfire. CRS-3 for L & R, CRS-3C for center. You'll have to use most of your budget, but worth it. For more space saving, get a Sunfire Sub-Rosa in-wall subwoofer, too.

Thank you! For some reason, it was hard to find anything beyond some lo-fi looking Polks and Klipsch which while I'm sure sound OK for what they are, won't satisfy my ear that's been spoiled by DefTech.

EDIT.... as I wrote this I kinda thought it was dumb not to have actually looked at DefTech....

Off the top of my head,for in-wall speakers I'd probably roll with either JBL -or- Canton (Atelier)...

JM2¢

Bret P.

Some good options here ...

https://hometheaterreview.com/in-wall-speaker-reviews-information/

Then again, you can get some quality wall baffles and use most any speaker that fits to tailor them to your system. Main thing is to get good isolation from the wall cavity to control resonance and such.

PS - I used some old Gecko flat panels here, but they're hard to find and kinda sorta expensive.

gekko-flat-panels.jpg

Some good options here ...

https://hometheaterreview.com/in-wall-speaker-reviews-information/

Then again, you can get some quality wall baffles and use most any speaker that fits to tailor them to your system. Main thing is to get good isolation from the wall cavity to control resonance and such.

PS - I used some old Gecko flat panels here, but they're hard to find and kinda sorta expensive.

gekko-flat-panels.jpg

I actually have a pair of those in black but although they were great for hidden ambient music (wish I could find the art that was supposed to hide them) they really don't have the oomph I would need to watch movies. These speakers were ahead of their time. With a small digital amp and bluetooth, I think they would still be around.

I'm looking for quality in-wall speakers for my home theater to replace the old workhorse DefTech BP2002.

I am not a big in-wall fan for anything more than background listening. If the Definitives were just in HT use and not serious audio listening though you should be fine swapping for in-walls. For straight audio, installation & room position is as critical as the speakers themselves. I've never had a room I could set up correctly to image right for music and am biased (perhaps unfairly) against them. Sorry this isn't more helpful.

Well, if the OP has a hard constraint for in walls, another source to look at is B&W, quite the family of in-walls.

Well, if the OP has a hard constraint for in walls, another source to look at is B&W, quite the family of in-walls.

I just saw the website. Now that I have it down to a few manufacturers I'm familiar with and like the sound of, the truly hard part (listening to them) begins. I think in-walls don't get more fans because it's impossible to know that you're going to like the end result unless you blow a ton of money on installation.

I'm actually leaning towards first trying out some cheap stuff to make sure I don't hate the sound, then if I do like the way it sounds, the holes can simply be re-sized for better speakers.

I'd be concerned with sound bleed through wall to rest of house, from wall becoming a resonating cabinet. My other resident would say "it's kinda loud". Maybe you don't have that worry.
I've never heard Canton inwalls, but I like vintagesand newer Cantons I've heard.

I'd be concerned with sound bleed through wall to rest of house, from wall becoming a resonating cabinet. My other resident would say "it's kinda loud". Maybe you don't have that worry.
I've never heard Canton inwalls, but I like vintagesand newer Cantons I've heard.

Luckily, the HT is an addition that's "detached" in that it's a wood frame structure that was built sometime in the mid-60's (or so we think) and once the door is shut it doesn't really transfer the sound to the rest of the house. The current system is capable of some crazy sound levels and even though an asteroid can be crashing into New York City all that can be heard in the main house is the rumble of the two subwoofers.

In-wall speakers in a shared wall can be very different from having speakers placed near the same wall. You can very easily shake pictures off the wall when the asteroid hits...

Back
Top Bottom