Ok, I'm completely confused as to the rules of this forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an example as food for thought:

First post: Does anyone know what the insides of a Wombat 1000 are supposed to look like? Are there supposed to be three or four big capacitors?

Second post: Take a look at this ebay auction, there's a great nudie of a "mint" 1000, which looks just like mine, with four capacitors.

OK, it's a crappy example, but it makes the point. Not every eBay reference is about the auction or valuation, but it's damn hard for a passing mod-squader to fully read every post in every thread.

This is about the auction itself, and it's still in its original forum.

http://206.225.95.32/forums/showthread.php?t=70419

Actually I thought about moving this thread until I read it. . .Retro bought this piece and left the link to show what he just bought not to hawk it or ask what it was worth. . .

I think all of us should read more carefully before taking action. . . This goes for the readOrs and the readEEs. . .

I see way too much jumping conclusions lately including myself. . .

Negotiableterms said:
Here's an example as food for thought:

First post: Does anyone know what the insides of a Wombat 1000 are supposed to look like? Are there supposed to be three or four big capacitors?

Second post: Take a look at this ebay auction, there's a great nudie of a "mint" 1000, which looks just like mine, with four capacitors.

OK, it's a crappy example, but it makes the point. Not every eBay reference is about the auction or valuation, but it's damn hard for a passing mod-squader to fully read every post in every thread.

It's not a crappy example, it's a perfect example.

If I'm trying to find out how many capacitors my Wombat 1000 is supposed to have, naturally I'm going to look in the Wombat forum. Unfortunately, this thread might have already been moved to D&S, because it contains a link to an ebay auction. You're also right that perusing every new thread is time-consuming for the mods.

Dave, that's what I would like to see happen, but frequently a thread that doesn't have anything to do with an auction site or a valuation ends up there simply because it has a link.

That said. . . As mods we try to weed out what is not acceptable from the other forums that tend to either disrupt the thread or take it somewhere that leads to trouble. Most of these threads are not so easy to spot. Gut feeling and experience is all you have to go on at times.

How many shades of grey are there ?? Too many. . . Still Grey is not Black and Grey is not White. . .Grey can run from almost Black to almost White and the trick is knowing just where to draw that line. . .

RichPA said:
I'll comment on this one, since I moved it, and would do so again unless I got different guidance from the admins. There's not one word in that post, unless you follow the link, that identifies the topic. It is just, "here's something cool on ebay." Seems to me that's precisely what Dollars and Sense is for - see the first sentence of the rules sticky - but if I'm wrong, maybe Kamikiri or Grumpy could explain it to me.

Actually, you've just touched on a semi-unrelated topic, which is starting a new thread with an appropriately clear title. If that thread had been titled: "Does anybody know anything about Technics SB-X700 speakers??", much of the confusion could be avoided.

Not to mention those of us who don't give a rat's patoot about them, but felt impelled to click on the thread just to see what it was! :stupid:

Edit: As I think about it for a few more seconds, I don't think it's unrelated at all. I think this is a big part of the issue. While I think it's pure wishful thinking to hope that every new thread title will be clear, complete, and self-explanatory, had that thread had a better title, it probably would have had a much better chance of staying in Speakers.

Last edited:
Fisherdude said:
It's not a crappy example, it's a perfect example.

If I'm trying to find out how many capacitors my Wombat 1000 is supposed to have, naturally I'm going to look in the Wombat forum. Unfortunately, this thread might have already been moved to D&S, because it contains a link to an ebay auction. You're also right that perusing every new thread is time-consuming for the mods.

Dave, that's what I would like to see happen, but frequently a thread that doesn't have anything to do with an auction site or a valuation ends up there simply because it has a link.

You guys are smart enough to fix the problem. . .If it gets moved because of an eBay link get it edited and put back. . .I know I'll work with anyone who asks me about a thread I moved and I'm quite sure the others will as well. . .

As the relevant points all seem to have been made, I would suggest that from here on, it's an Admin issue, and they'll let us all know if there's a policy change. I think this thread should be closed under the general rule that AK policy isn't up for public debate. Just my 2c.

If one has a question about a component and the relevant picture comes from e-bay, we would all be better served if the picture was "borrowed" from e-bay and uploaded on to AK. This would avoid the problem with the link and would preserve the referenced material after the e-bay listing has expired.

Last edited:
jbpollock said:
If one has a question about a component and the relevant picture comes from e-bay, we would all be better served if the picture was "borrowed" from e-bay and uploaded on to AK. This would avoid the problem with the link and would preserve the referenced material after the e-bay listing has expired.

You mean now we got to read more. . .LOL. . .

At least you guys are thinking. . .thats a good thing. . .

Well, I was thinking that it would require less reading. If the topic of discussion truly has nothing to do with the auction itself(and you are just borrowing pictures as a point of reference), but is limited to the relative merits of a unit or a specific technical question, then there is no reason that e-bay has to be mentioned at all. If it is impossible to discuss something without mentioning the auction, then it should be in dollars and sense.

I am a big fan of relegating e-bay discussions to the dollars and sense category, btw.

Last edited:
Welps, my thing is this. I posted about some speakers I thought were neato looking and I knew nothing about them. I was hoping to get some AK insight on the lovelies. But before you know it, my thread was moved to a forum that will not draw as much attention to them as if they were in the speaker firum, as originally posted. The fact is, now that my other post has been left in the Speaker forum where it belongs, I have gotten quite a few replies on it both publicly and privately. How many ya reckon I got from the Dollars and Sense forum? Answer: Nil Of course I it was also taken as a potshot to the admin as well, but certainly was not intended to be that I can assure you.

I know there are guidelines and agree to having them. On the other hand, there is always certain situations and circumstances that guidelines prohibit/punish that weren't thought about before the law was chiseled in stone.

Yes I know my post had an Ebay link in it, but did it really have anything to do with dollars and sense? No it did not and I don;t feel it should have been moved as such.

Personally I just think common sense should be the prevailing factor here, as it has nothing to do with dollars at all.

Chuck

theNoid said:
Personally I just think common sense should be the prevailing factor here, as it has nothing to do with dollars at all.

Chuck

Its not just the link. . .Most any thread that is asking for information, value or anything that appears to be a sale item or a future sale item will get moved to D&S. It was put there for things such as this otherwise the threads were being deleted. D&S saved a few at least.

So when I go on in the DIY forum and ask about a certain speaker or amplifier kit and it's retailer it's going to automically be shot to Dollars and Sense?

How about if I am interested in buying some Brand A speakers at Best Buy is it going to be moved here?

If I go to the Sansui forum and mention I saw a very nice Sansui amplifier at agarage sale for $12...and ask if it's worth it...will it get moved here?

Sure seems to me that this is all going to make it difficult to get info about just about anything anymore without jumping through hoops to get it and hoping the guy with the best knowledge is reading every new post even inthe forums he would never normally read.

Just my thoughts...
Noidster

theNoid said:
So when I go on in the DIY forum and ask about a certain speaker or amplifier kit and it's retailer it's going to automically be shot to Dollars and Sense?

Probably not...

theNoid said:
How about if I am interested in buying some Brand A speakers at Best Buy is it going to be moved here?

Why would it?

theNoid said:
If I go to the Sansui forum and mention I saw a very nice Sansui amplifier at agarage sale for $12...and ask if it's worth it...will it get moved here?

Yes!

theNoid said:
Sure seems to me that this is all going to make it difficult to get info about just about anything anymore without jumping through hoops to get it and hoping the guy with the best knowledge is reading every new post even inthe forums he would never normally read.

Honestly if you ask the right question in the right forum here, have you ever had a problem getting good information or good advice?

I think it was on ak that I asked a question and some one
thought I was a ebay seller trying to figure out a selling price.

I got a nasty response to my post.

I have never sold any thing on ebay - craigs list - nickle ad's - the paper or thru a forum or friends.

my family wishes I would sell sell sell

my little house is wall to wall power cords and battery compartments.

We all learned how to write and ask questions in high school. . .This is very simple.

1)- If you start a thread that can be taken as spam or as something you are hawking be it asking for what its worth or just asking what folks think about them then most likely a mod will move it, delete it and ban the author if blatant enough. A title like "LOOKEY" then a link to eBay will get moved or deleted unless it is in the proper forum.

2)- This has been discussed before but if you are not able to get your point across on a new thread without it looking like what we just talked about then you might not want to start a thread to begin with.

3)- As has been mentioned already put enough information in your title and in your opening post so it is obviously not something in danger of being moved or deleted. Just that simple.

Yes it would be easier to just not give a chit which forum which posts go in but when it comes to ebay think about this. Anything referring people to that site weather be to see a photo for reference or to point it out for others benefits ebay. Ebay gives pretty much nothing to this website so why should we in turn whore for it ? We support those that support us.

If you want the photo of a particular piece in one of your posts and do not wish said post moved to this forum then merely copy and upload the ebay photo to our data base and use it in your post in whatever forum that piece pertains too.

That is after all why we use this software. Those ebay hosted pictures are there for a very limited time. Once here on AK they will be around for a very long time which is much better to those that read the post long after said auction is over.

theNoid said:

I'm gonna say this once more - the text of your post said nothing about the speakers you were interested in, and did nothing but draw attention to an ebay post. I moved it before, and I'd move it again. If you'd said "does anybody know about {insert name of speakers}, here are the ones I'm talking about" it would probably not have been moved. But it didn't. That's common sense. This thread is closed unless one of the admins overrules me.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom