Ok my fellow Floridian`s, how about checking in to let us know how your doing

We still have power for now. Its gusty outside still so who knows if that will change.

Just small and medium sized branches down. Nothing more than 2" thick.

Once the wind dies down more I will drive arond the neighborhood and see how far the water came up

Still blowing but worst over here hopefully, made it with power until 8:30 AM when two giant pines came down a few houses away across the road and power line. My pines and oaks intact thankfully.

Stay safe guys. I can't imagine living in that state of anxiety year after year.

Well, at least we can prepare in advance or leave the area..
Not any options like that with Earthquakes("Terra Infirma"), you know !! ;)

And hurricanes don`t often happen in FL. every year, so IMHO there should be little to no anxiety for rational folks..

I won`t live on ocean front property, though I can afford to, and I`ve lived on the East coast of FL. all of my, just shy of 63 years, on this planet..

When one lives very close to the ocean, then they have to expect that the ocean will rise at sometime and take away their house, so I find it hard to be sympathetic when the sea claims someone who choses to risk that, which I might add, raises everybody`s insurance rates as well, just like CA earthquake, mudslides, and forest fires, ect. do..

Peace ..

Kind regards, OK
We made it through OK in Ocala. Lots of folks without power, some trees down, but it seems like no major damage.

After living through shelter life, we vacated the school gym this morning and headed home. The power at the shelter went out at 5pm yesterday and the power is out at the house today. We are going to stay with our daughter's family until we get power back. It could be weeks. Between our house and Brooksville I counted at least 20 trees leaning on the power lines. At my house a tree from my neighbors fell across the run from the transformer to our power pole for our doublewide. It did not cut the line but pulled our pole toward the transformer a bit.

All in all, the West side of the state actually made it out better than the East coast. I just plain glad that it is over. Hope the rest of you were as lucky as we were. Be well.

Glad to see continuing posts from our Floridians! Hopefully, we'll see more in coming days as things get put back together. From what I am seeing (via various news outlets) 60% of the state is w/o power, and another 1.5M people in GA are also w/o power. Continue to stay safe folks--just because the storm has passed, doesn't mean the dangers are over.

Well FWIW, I thought to check in folks after I finally got internet back this late morning.

In my case, I was on generator for about 3 & 1/2 days and no POTS connection until Thursday(though I have a regular standard cell phone for I`ve fallen down and can`t get up).. I never felt the need to use it during this significant weather event, but my B-n-L , who lives next door borrowed it to make a few calls when both of our POTS lines & internet went down, to let his out of town family members know that he was ok..

No trees fell on any of my neighborhood houses that I saw, but the ones that did fall, hit the power lines and other pole mounted services, thus knocking them out..

What really concerned me during this hurricane, in which I have been through a few since Dora(1963) was waking up Monday morning @ ~5:00AM and waiting on daylight so I could see what was happening outside..

Anyway, I`ve lived here since May of 1989, and have never seen the ~1000 feet East of me St. John`s river, or any water over flowing into my backyard like six inches deep !!
So I went to open my garage converted to a electronic repair shop side door, but couldn`t very easily(wind direction vacuum ?) !!
So I thought this is not good, not knowing exactly why, I aborted for the time being waiting for trying later..

I then checked the much higher in elevation sunroom`s backyard door, and it opened very easily and so went out on the back yard facing covered patio..

That`s when I saw the friggin river in my back yard !! I promptly went and checked both garage floors for water intrusion at the bottom of the doors, which were only slightly wet, which improved greatly my developing "PUCKER FACTOR" !!

When went back to go outside the front of the house the door operated normally so I went to step over the elevated door`s thresh hold and I found my car port under a couple of inches of river water and the as far as I could see, the street was totally under about 6" `s water!! Damn !! Where are my water wings ??
So I went back inside to see if the water would rise or fall after a period of time, and to my relief when I checked again it had fallen and continued to fall as I hadn`t bothered to check the high tide table from NWS on my scanner(remember no internet here at that time !)..

And all standing river water on my street was gone by late afternoon and I was very lucky and of course, very grateful..

I would be extremely quite happy not to go through this strong of a hurricane anytime soon and consider myself very, very fortunate, especially compared to some of my un/ill prepared neighbors and other folks in my NE. FL. area..

Anyway this is my little tale and experience from Miss Irma`s PMS episode.

I won`t deny that I wasn`t a little concerned here being here by myself and being partially paralyzed(left side hemi paresis), as there is only so much I can do when something significant happens that requires more than one good arm & leg can deal with.. Hey !! Life`s an adventure--right ..

EDIT :That dragon bitch gave me a peck on the check, instead of a full reach around while she had me !! Lucky, lucky, lucky I was !!! Mercy Sakes Alive !!

Take care all the folks that were effected by this hurricane and the support, and best wishes of our fellow AK`rs for us..

Most warm regards, OKB

Last edited:
Still at my daughters house. Went to the house again today and still no power, but they cut up the tree from our wire. BTW, take a good look at a weather map. There is another TS following almost the same track as Irma. I am scared once again.

Still at my daughters house. Went to the house again today and still no power, but they cut up the tree from our wire. BTW, take a good look at a weather map. There is another TS following almost the same track as Irma. I am scared once again.
I hear you brother, I`m watching them too, as I`ve learned of the years of living in FL. to keep an eye on those low latitude developing TS`s, `cause they tend to try to stick it to `ya in a very bad way, at least here in FL. or the Gulf states as well...

Hang in there KingBubba, and hope for a break from Mother Nature and her whims..
Ain`t much else to do if one chooses to live in "Hurricane Alley", though times like this, sure can be a bitch !!
Thanks for checking in..
Stay safe..

Warm regards, OKB

Back
Top Bottom