OK, people with subs,,,tell me...

WhiteSE

Is Lute Gluten Free??
Subscriber
I may trade my SS amp for a Kinergetics sub amp with a xover set at 80Hz....I have a 10" sub in a sealed enclosure,,its a Lambda Acoustics PB10,,,one of the best SQ drivers available...I know the enclosure is small, but so is my room.....

Will 80Hz jive well with the JBL L-96's?

What's the 3db downpoint on the 96's?

Is the crossover on the Kinergetics amp variable?

How are you hooking it all up? Running speaker wire through the sub amp to the speakers or using an rca connection via preouts on your pre?

If you are running speaker-level connections THROUGH the Kinergetics amp, does it have a built in high-pass also?

Cheers,
Russ

I used smaller mains, JBL L20Ts, and ended up with a lower crossover setting. I experimented a lot before I was happy with the combination, I ended up with the crossover (on the sub) set to about 55 hz. The mains were running full range, they did not sound good running through the sub. You could end up setting yours even lower, since you have much larger mains.

Last edited:
Originally posted by RuSsMaN
What's the 3db downpoint on the 96's?

Is the crossover on the Kinergetics amp variable?

How are you hooking it all up? Running speaker wire through the sub amp to the speakers or using an rca connection via preouts on your pre?

If you are running speaker-level connections THROUGH the Kinergetics amp, does it have a built in high-pass also?

Cheers,
Russ

As the owner explained in his email,,,it goes between the preamp and the amp,,rcas in and rcas out to the amp,,,and speaker terminal outs for the sub...Its a non adjusteable xover,,,He doesnt seem to know if the xover point can be adjusted with a chip insider...:rolleyes:

his unit is a kinergetics sw 200

I dont know the 3dB down point in the JBL's,,,,

L-96

I used to use a sub with my L-150As a B-380 JBL that I ran between 60-80. . .really cleaned up the L-150s a ton. . .You would do fine anywhere from 80 down to about 50. . .Depends on what your room is like and how much power is available to the L-96s. . . .I sometimes use a sub with my L-112s and I cross it at 80 as well. . . .But thats with a Adcom 565 pushing a 20-39 SVS. . . .No shortage of bass. Actually I like the L-112s without a sub better. . .Arent the L-96s similiar to the 112s?

My subs definatly go higher than where my TLs fall off and there is no problem with phasing or smearing as it is just too low. Bass in non directional and a bit of overlap shouldn't bother anything and in fact might be a bit of an imorovement. Many speakers will start to roll off quite a way before they finish and I imagine that the built in low pass for the sub will have a pretty steep slope that ends at 80 Hz.

Well, the L-96's will be driven by a McIntosh MC250...but, anyway,,,I cant see why a tech shouldnt be able to change the xover point...

Now that I think about it,,,,instead of trading my current amp for this sub amp and cash, I should just do all cash and save towards an MC2100....:dunno: :confused:

80hz

I like mine without a sub better than with one but for my HT it is much simpler to get everything matched up, levels right etc. IMO unless you have a good cross over to do the work the JBLs are fine alone for music, provided you have the balls to drive them and get the good out of them. I had to do something with my 150s because I am not a PR fan for one and although they would play low they were not near as clean as my 112s. I have plenty of real low bass, surprises me sometimes. I get to thinking that I need more and a strong bass note hits and I know I am fine just kistening to the 112s alone. Much easier. . . .Critical listening with a sub can be fine but IMO it takes mighty good stuff and a lot of patience getting it right. I think you need some pink noise and a spectrum analyzer to get it right. . .Test tones alone are not enough I dont think. . .

As I think about it,,,the good thing of that amp, being between the pre and main speaker amp, is that the McIntosh will be able to apply more of its energy towards the 80 and above,,,more grunt where its more usefull!

You could just get a DVC for the box and use a couple of chokes for a 1st order low pass and use the amp you were thinking of trading.

Back
Top Bottom