OK to use Pioneer 6 ohm speakers with 8 ohm Yamaha CR 400 receiver?

pdxtim

Can I use my Pioneer SP BS 22-LR speakers, rated at 6 ohms, with my Yamaha CR 400 receiver, for which 8 ohm speakers are recommended? The CR 400 is rated at 16 watts/channel. Thanks in advance for any info!

Can I use my Pioneer SP BS 22-LR speakers, rated at 6 ohms, with my Yamaha CR 400 receiver, for which 8 ohm speakers are recommended? The CR 400 is rated at 16 watts/channel. Thanks in advance for any info!
You can but those speakers need a lot more power than the CR400 can provide, that is unless you're planning to use them for background music in a dentist office or similar situation.:)

You can but those speakers need a lot more power than the CR400 can provide, that is unless you're planning to use them for background music in a dentist office or similar situation.:)
Thanks darkblue. Hey we lived in Beaverton for 11 yrs, on 169th in Somerset Meadows. I really miss Oregon, especially in the summer!

Your receiver should handle the speakers impedance. As far as power goes, Connect it up and try it. If it doesn't play loud enough at about 1:00 on the volume control (or when you here any sign of amp stress) with tone controls off with the FM radio, you may need more. In a med size room with the speakers in the corners I think you will be surprised at how well that Yamaha plays those speakers.

Back in the late 70's receivers in 20 wpc and under range were quite popular. My 10 wpc Realistic receiver drives my Energy C-1 bookshelves way louder than I normally listen to. Those Pioneer's are a little less sensitive, But I'm sure they would work fine too. If you want concert level SPL's, Than yes, you will need more power and probably more speaker. But most people over estimate their power requirements. Often I listen to my amp in the 2w meter range.

Back
Top Bottom