Ok, what's the angle on this scam?

Texas42

I've had a pair of Atlantic Technology THX 350LR speakers for sale locally on Craigslist and also ran an ad on Audiogon. I had them 'priced to sell' for $250 a pair, then even dropped them to $200 for pickup. I get a response today which says...

***Thanks for your quick response towards my request..I like to proceed with the immediate payment of the Atlantic Technology THX350LR Speakers through my United State Postal Money Order account.
As far as the condition, i will be offering you 300.00 USD for this item. So i will like you to close the auction of this item so we could proceed with the transaction.
Moreso, the shipping cost will be handled by me which you will not be charge a penny for as soon as the payment has been confirmed, i will email you the fedex shipping label and invoice you will paste on the package which you will have the procedure to follow above it.
So if my offer is accepted, do get back to me with your full name, adress and phone number, moreover do not forget to close the auction like i have said earlier.
Thanks, I will be expecting a quick responses of yours***

Normally, I'd jump on this as I really need the room for other equipment I've purchased recently but my 'scam meter' keeps going off. So, what is the angle on this one? I note there are a few words misspelled and I'm guessing this is originating in Africa (where most scams seem to come from these days). Seems like a 'form letter' of some sort as I've never had these speakers 'on auction', only ads in Audiogon (which has expired) and Craigslist. Curious as to what I'm not seeing on this one. Maybe I'm just getting too cynical or paranoid in my old age...

Regards,

Dave

My guess, the guy would send a fake money order for more than the amount and ask you to send him the "change" together with the speakers. Run away is right.

Even if he sends you an MO for the $300 selling price, it STILL won't be any good. Many people ship on receipt of the MO, without giving pause for the fact that MOs are being forged at ever increasing rates.

My son was trying to sell a dirt bike on CL and got almost the identicaL response that you got. Worded the same and everthing .Certainly it's a scam .My guess is the MO would be fake and since it's his shipping label you would not be able to stop shipment if you found this out after you shipped the item.

Well, forewarned is forearmed as they say, so I'll steer clear of this one. Thanks all for the info...

Same here....

I have someone trying to do the same thing to me for something I am selling on CL. He offered $50 more that the listed price! Then I got some e-mails from PayPal, ststing that I'll get my money, when I give them a tracking #

Scammers..... :thumbsdn:

I would love to get a response like that . . .

This is a scam. It is a very basic one, yet will get you in loads of legal problems if you fall for it. Simply send him a return e-mail stating that a cash transaction/local pick up is all you will accept. This should get him off your back pretty quickly.

Many of these scams originate from Nigeria, which has enacted laws that combat this type of crime. The law code is #419, but it has had little effect on stopping the scammers.

For those wishing to learn more, refer to www.419eater.com. If you are wanting to pick up a new hobby, this just might be for you. I sure love it!!!!

B'roo

You know its a scam when they don't even bother to ask about what they are buying, offer you an extra $100 and are more concern with paying and shipping.

I have "offers" like this almost every time I sell something on CL.
Just for fun I put "Brand new IBM mainframe computer still in a box" for sale on CL. Will see what comes.
For another scammer I said "sure, no problem" and he (or she) sends his fake money order to...FBI headquarters in DC.

Back
Top Bottom