Ok, WHO'S The Alto Player?!! Beatles Instrumental

jgannon

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've always dug the alto sax player on the George Martin Instrumental of "A Hard Day's Night" released on The Beatles' United Artists LP. Does anybody have any idea who this is?!!

Usually I can find something about these things on the internet, but so far I haven't been able to come up with anything. Could the info be provided on one of the EP's?

It wasn't Dick Parry who played sax on the Pink Floyd tracks. That George Martin instrumental album didn't credit the musicians.

Thanks for the leads guys. I've just always been curious. He does some nice things with the tune.

I like what dewey02 wrote on the Hoffmann forum:

"All of George Martin's tracks and Beatle-related LPs are simply credited to the George Martin Orchestra but no individual members are ever listed.
This is true for George's United Artist releases, including
By Popular Demand - A Hard Days Night -UAL 3383 and UAS 6383
George Martin & his orchestra Play HELP!- UAL 3448
George Martin instrumentally salutes The Beatle Girls - UAL 3539 and UAS 6539
Off the Beatle Track -UAL 3377 and UAS 5377

While I'm sure he had some regulars that he used time and again, I would assume that these were simply studio musicians that were called in at the studio rate, and not a fixed orchestra or performing unit that would "go out on the road" so to speak. But I would guess that many of the musicians that played in the GM orchestra may also have been called in to provide instrumental backing on Beatles tracks. I don't have any source for this, but it would seem likely that George Martin would call on those people he'd worked with before and were most familiar to him when he needed some strings or brass or whatever to overdub on Beatles tracks. Watch the All You Need is Love video and I'd be willing to bet you will be seeing more than a few members of the George Martin orchestra."

This quote came from this thread:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-version-the-instrumental-songs.264516/page-2

Whoever the alto player was, he was probably just a damn good professional, who knew how to take care of business.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom