Okay, the top ten most influential rock bands

millerdog

The Mod Squad
Led Zep 'no reason, I just like led zep'
Boston "the sound" Triumph had it
Hendrix....can I say Neil Young and Crazy Horse?
Van Halen..started a trend
The Cars.."lets go!"
Rush..well...Rush!
Motorhead...just because
Deep Purple...just because of Motorhead:)
Cream..
Black Sabbath...Ronnie James, okay include him

OOPs! remember INFLUENCE! Not comtemporary!

Just to start this thread kicking :), to me some of the most influential band were:

• The Beatles
  • The Rolling Stones
  • Jimi Hendrix
  • Pink Floyd

Chris

Chris, the very fact that I did not include the bands you noted should reveal the fact that I was born a deaf, dumb and blind kid in '63.
Oh, did I mention The Who?:D

I was born in '73 :D

I listen to the groups those guys influenced :p:

Another, more contemporary group that was influential is Nirvana.

Chris

Last edited:
hmmm...let me try to think of a couple...

Ted Nugent

Black Sabbath

AeroSmith

Rush

Boston

Scorpions

VanHalen

Montrose

Yes

and the young Stevie Ray Vaughan

they may not be the most influential rock bands...but ten of my favorites when I look back on things :)

Eagles

Blasters

Pretenders

uncle Tupelo

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds

E Street Band

Fairport Convention

Procul Harem

Johnny Cash and The Tennessee Two

Alan(no I'm just signing off,not a band)

Bill Haley & the Comet's (I don't care for them, but they were big)

The Beatles (same as above)

The Rolling Stones (WITH Brian Jones)

Cream

Hendrix

Zappa & The Mothers of Invention

The Who

Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels

The Rascals

The Kinks

Toasted Almond

This is a tough one, especially since I find sooo many, But Let me add (and repeat) a few

Buddy Holly- influence limited by short career

Elvis- brought a whole genre of music to the masses

New York songwriters- King, Mancini, etc- different groups may have performed their songs, but this was the defining rock of the early sixties

Beatles, Stones- finally got something other than that from above, add any from the British Invasion

Barry Gordy- heh, the Motown alternative to the above. OK, I'll pick Marvin Gaye, but you could select many who "sounds like"

Beach Boys- more progressive than we give them credit for today

Bob Dylan- who said folk couldn't rock

ELO- large productions, synths, and...disco...very

Journey- rockers doing ballads

Bon Jovi- rockers going pop

By the way, I am NOT saying these are groups I listen too.
At least I didn't put Manilow in there somewhere:puke:

reyneman,
Your mention of ELO reminds me of an LP I found the other day:
Styx- Weren't they credited with starting that whole big production "glam" rock thing? I think it's safe to say that KISS changed the face of rock music;)

I'm not much for music history

just enjoyment of music. Most of my input was personal opinion, swayed GREATLY by these 100 digital channels with nothing on so I watched stupid shows just wasting time because my wife was in bed and i couldn't turn on the music and I find music videos not to my taste anymore and have I ran enough together yet? Yes, may be some angst here also, as the wife is already in bed and I'm posting to a board because ONCE AGAIN I cannot crank the tunes.

I think of Styx as after ELO, since I listened to ELO before Styx. I do recall the ELO concert I went to was BIG for the day.

Would agree that Bowie set the stage for outrageous androygenous (sp) looks, but I would go with Elton John as the first glam guy. JM2c

Not necessarily my favorites but certainly popular and influenced the direction of pop music

Blood Sweat and Tears
Steely Dan
Chicago
The Band
Jethro Tull
Emerson Lake and Palmer
Allman Brothers
Lynyrd Skynyrd
REM

top 10- alot of music for only 10 bands-

Elvis-took rock mainstream
Beatles-opened the door for the Bristish invasion
Beach Boys - California sound
Hendricks - Psychadelic baby
James Brown - brought soul to white america
Velvet Underground - spawned Bowie
Cream - begining of heavy metal
Dylan - put folk on the map
whoever helped kill disco
the first rappers-brought blacks back into mainstream

Another, more contemporary group that was influential is Nirvana.
:puke: Influential to a generation of "slacker" musicians whose gravelly vocals and rhythm-only guitar playing have made rock radio, concert experiences and the whole music business into the vast wasteland of manufactured bands and manufactured music that it has been since about 1993.

With or without the big hair and spandex, I prefer the double-guitar lead/rhythm assaults of the 70's and 80's. Guitarists like Glenn Tipton and KK Downing of Judas Priest spanned the field of the stereo image, playing alternating parts of a solo across the left and right channels {Green Manalishi} while Dave Murray and Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden played intricate harmonized solos {Still Life}.

Anyone who thought the 80's were only about fast fretting and big hair must have been listening to the wrong bands.

Here's my opinion of the top ten most influential bands spanning the 20 year period 1970-1990 based on the number of musicians who quickly developed unique and influential styles that evolved from imitating one or more of them.

Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple
KISS
Aerosmith
AC/DC
Mott the Hoople
Thin Lizzy
Van Halen
Motley Crue
Cinderella

Last edited:
JS, I think you are right on. Most of the bands that have been listed on this thread are very influential. Jimi has to be the king of taking things to the limit. However, I think that Nirvana completely changed the landscape of music as we see it today. And unfortunatly, there just isn't that much to see. I was driving the other day for more than an hour and I listened to new rock the whole time. There wasn't one lead guitar in the whole bunch. It might as well have been the same guitar player in every band. And I think that the name guitar player might be stretching it. Nirvana was pretty much the birth of the power/grunge/chords only rock guitar. If you listen to some of the older stuff, even the rhythm guitarist can tell a story with his instrument. I realize that I must have suddenly become old and square, because I just don't dig most of the new stuff as much. Though there is some good music out there, I don't see the talent.
A few more I would like to add...
Jane's Addiction-what other group can get a whole job site to bark like a dog....arf,arf,arf
Primus

I must have suddenly become old and square, because I just don't dig most of the new stuff as much. Though there is some good music out there, I don't see the talent.
We're not alone in our opinion of modern rock. Fortunately, it's starting to look like "slacker rock" is on its way out. New bands are emerging that are bringing lead guitar back to rock.

Among them are H.O.T.D. whose influences seem to run from KISS and Mr. Big to classic Journey and early Van Halen and they have three albums so far (with MP3 samples on their site). The Donnas are an all female band who were obviously influenced by KISS, AC/DC, Motley Crue, Judas Priest, Alice Cooper and other hard rock legends and have an interesting "role reversal" angle in which their female fans fantasize about becoming rock stars while their male fans fantasize about becoming groupies (they have five albums and their latest "Spend the Night" can be heard on their site). Another band, apparently influenced by (Ziggy Stardust era) David Bowie, Alice Cooper, The Tubes and The Rocky Horror Picture Show is Robin Black and the Intergalactic Rock Stars and there are audio and video samples on their site. And then there's another all-female band called Number Twelve whose two-song debut single "Heat" and "Riki" (a tribute to MTV "Headbanger's Ball" host Riki Rachtman) can be heard on their site.

And so, some of the influential bands I mentioned before have influenced yet another generation of new musicians just in time to save rock-n-roll from the slacker phase it has gone through in recent years.

Some of the great hard rock bands of the 80's are still touring and recording on minor-league labels. Great White, Cinderella and Iron Maiden are signed with Portrait Records and are particularly successful in western Europe and southeast Asia where great music never really went out of style. Another little-known label, Sanctuary Records features a virtual who's-who of 70's and 80's rock legends including a reunion of the surviving members of Humble Pie and Lynyrd Skynyrd, reunions of Blue Oyster Cult and Little Feat along with new releases from Accept, Pat Benatar, Dokken, Judas Priest, L.A. Guns, Eddie Money, Gary Moore, Motorhead, Nazareth, Night Ranger, Overkill, Saigon Kick, Slaughter, Styx, Tesla, and Vixen, a solo album by former White Lion frontman Mike Tramp and live albums by ELO, The Tubes and Styx with REO Speedwagon. Warrant and a few other excellent 80's bands are still recording on other minor-league labels, touring small venues in the States and all over Europe and Asia. Your favorite search engine can help you track down a favorite band if they're still around and can even point you to their new label's Web site.

Last edited:
Good music is worth searching for

Fellas,

While most modern rock does suck, plenty of good music can still be found. However, you will not find that music on MTV or your local "rock" radio stations. Even most music magazines which claim to be cutting edge(Rolling Stone,Spin,etc.) don't have a clue. Also, guitar rock has never gone away. MTV has done it's best to wipe it off the planet, but it still exists. Submitted for your listening pleasure:
Supersuckers- they rock...period.
Hellacopters- Hailing from Sweden, I just can't understand why these guys aren't huge?
Nashville Pussy- sure they're a little gimmicky but they are awesome live
Gaza Strippers- really good
Reverend Horton Heat- he's the man!

And I don't understand why everybody is slagging Nirvana?
I admit, I got burnt out on them after a while. However, Nevermind was/is a great albumn. At least it paved the way for rock in the 90's, and put an end to that godawful hair metal of the 80's. ( Slaughter, White Lion, Cinderella, Great White, Ratt, Bon Jovi,Motley Crue, etc.) Jesus! That $hit was total garbage! :puke:

Back
Top Bottom