Okay. Two channel and Home Theater. It cant be mixed

If our house was different I might have tried a mixed system, but as it is,
we've got 2 systems, UREI monitors in a 7.1 surround system downstairs,
and 2 channel tube system with heavily modded Heath "Valencias,"
and each does what it does very well.

This my personal opinion. I actually prefer listening to most music in surround. I have a McIntosh MX-121 pre-pro mated with an MC-7205 multichannel amp. The MX has several surround mode options and it just sounds more engaging than plain stereo. But, stereo sounds excellent as well. So, to your statement, they can be mixed.
I listen to music on my stereo, but when I watch a dvd rock concert, the screen goes up and the surround goes on. Like being a t a concert up close. Image makes the best rock recordings. Good sound and excellent video.

My HT setup uses the Front Pre Outs and feeds into my 2 Channel Rig

simple solution to having both.

I have 4 systems. 3 Vintage Stereos. 1 HT. I see no real need to "mix". In fact, I rarely get to use the HT for music. I do occasionally listen to a record on the HT. My Marantz 6200 is hooked up to it. It sounds pretty good with the 450W sub. But, I definitely prefer the old systems for music. Besides, if I didn't use the Vintage systems, I wouldn't have much need to ever visit the BASEMENT!

I have an HT system and am currently building a vintage system. I have my floor standing speakers set up as L&R channel. I find it very satisfying to set the mode to stereo, turn off the sub, and listen to jazz and other live music as the sound stage on these old Wharfedale speakers is wonderful.

Now movies are an entirely different story. I love the immersive feel of surround sound.

Sorry, but they can be mixed. The solution is to build a "good" two channel system and add surround/HT capability using a pre/pro and the necessary rear speakers and amplifiers. This way you have a two channel system with little to no compromising that at the flick of a switch becomes an HT system.

My basic two channel system is listed in my signature. All my two channel sources are connected directly to my stereo preamp. For two channel listening that's all I need to turn on. All HT/surround sources are connected directly to my pre/pro. For HT/surround I place my two channel preamp in bypass mode and my pre/pro controls everything. So, I have a (IMO very good) dedicated two channel system that with the flick of a switch becomes a full HT/surround system.

That I use separates makes this possible. There is no receiver ever made that has a hybrid preamp driving an electronic crossover and DSP with tube driven main speakers and dual bridged SS driven subwoofers. I also use bi-amplified rear speakers using an electronic crossover and dual stereo power amps.
Very unique solution!! Could take more tuning tho and you don’t need a center speaker .
I’d imagine bass Is much better then your lower end surround receiver to mid. Stereo amps always have great bass!

More tuning?! Pray tell for what?

The two channel system is equalized via REW , a DSP and a calibrated mic to be -2dB @ 18Hz. My pre/pro has a built in eq utility and a supplied mic. Running the auto eq utility pretty much mirrors the readings REW gets including the amounts of boost and cut, the frequencies and the Q of each. The differences are so small I use the results from REW 100% of the time on my front speakers. However, I do use the settings my pre/pro measured and set for the surround speakers.

Last edited:
Good speakers are good speakers and the requirements of the speakers are the same for HT and for 2 channel music. These requirements are linearity, dynamics, and a good off axes frequency response. Get this right and how they are powered matters little as long as the amplifiers are well within their power delivery envelope. I have used this approach successfully in three of my systems, two of which doubles for music and HT.

Well after a lot of tinkering this weekend. I am for sure going to try to incorporate a pre with HT Bypass. I did a lot of two channel listening through my AVR and was impressed but not nearly as much as I am with my dac VOLT+ combo. So going to throw the Schiit Audio Saga into the mix and see what happens.

Good speakers are good speakers and the requirements of the speakers are the same for HT and for 2 channel music. These requirements are linearity, dynamics, and a good off axes frequency response. Get this right and how they are powered matters little as long as the amplifiers are well within their power delivery envelope. I have used this approach successfully in three of my systems, two of which doubles for music and HT.

I do agree with you to a point. Speakers are the single most important factor to your system. Then match everything up with them and build a system around them. But I don't agree with the how they are powered matter little. Amps for sure make a difference in everything from dynamics, to soundstage and depth.

By the way, what Rhythmik audio subs do you have? Seriously looking into them.

I do agree with you to a point. Speakers are the single most important factor to your system. Then match everything up with them and build a system around them. But I don't agree with the how they are powered matter little. Amps for sure make a difference in everything from dynamics, to soundstage and depth.

I would not gain any improvement in audio performance if I swapped out my AVR with separates as my speakers are efficient and the rooms they are in are relatively small room so I'm no where close to approaching the power limits of my AVR. I have more than enough power on reserve. Thats what I mean.

A good friend uses the LV-12R too. While I've never heard it, he tells me it shakes the house! :yikes:

It will do 19 Hz but at a reduced output. This sub's Forte is its articulate bass. I noticed it right away when it replaced my PSB Subsonic 5. I noticed pitch change in bass during the depth charge scene in U571. The othet thing I like about it is that it can be configured for extension at the expense of output or more output at the higher frequencies but at the expense of extension and the last setting is between the two. I have set it for extension as its powerful enougn to make some serious bass.

Well after a lot of tinkering this weekend. I am for sure going to try to incorporate a pre with HT Bypass. I did a lot of two channel listening through my AVR and was impressed but not nearly as much as I am with my dac VOLT+ combo. So going to throw the Schiit Audio Saga into the mix and see what happens.

You can accomplish the same thing with the Niles DPS-1 amp switcher. I used one to switch between an integrated tube amp driving the front speakers in stereo and an AVR powering the same front speakers and rears in a 5.1 HT. Depending on your set up the wiring can be a little complicated and if I remember correctly it works best with 16 gauge but make take 14's as well.

41Jh-ydwhXL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a picture of the 5.1/ stereo combo from some years ago. You can't see the Niles amp switcher but you can see the APPJ tube amp in the lower left corner and the silver AVR on the top shelf.

P3240011.jpg

I would not gain any improvement in audio performance if I swapped out my AVR with separates as my speakers are efficient and the rooms they are in are relatively small room so I'm no where close to approaching the power limits of my AVR. I have more than enough power on reserve. Thats what I mean.

Gotcha. I am in the same boat. My speakers are 97db efficient and 12ohms. So VERY easy to drive. At 80watts per channel in my Pioneer AVR, I too am nowhere close to reaching it's power limits. I am adding things to it for strictly two channel listening. Because listening to two channel on my AVR doesn't really stir a lot of emotion. I am looking at more sound quality than quantity.

Back
Top Bottom