Okay. Two channel and Home Theater. It cant be mixed

Lightweight "high power" non-switching amps lack sufficient power supply stiffness for transparency and dynamic power.

Class AB running 300 watts/channel into 4 ohms.

I hope your amp is heavier than the RX-A3000 AVR as your running almost twice the power. Thats more like an apples to oranges comparison. I would hardly call the power supply in the RX-A3000 lightweight. It dynamically bested the Emotiva in 2 channels. Very transparent in its output.

Last edited:
I hope your amp is heavier than the RX-A3000 AVR as your running almost twice the power.
Note at the load I quoted. Yours is rated at 140 at 8 ohms while mine is 200. Yamaha doesn't specify continuous output for all channels at 4 ohms. I'm not surprised.

Thats more like an apples to oranges comparison. I would hardly call the power supply in the RX-A3000 lightweight. It dynamically bested the Emotiva in 2 channels. Very transparent in its output.
As compared with far better, it is very much a lightweight. 980 watts in a 37 pound amp is most decidedly so for an AB design. The VTL mono amps I use in the music system weigh 150 lbs for 600 watts total output into 8 ohms.

Yes your $1.8k receiver "delivered similar dynamic power output ACD into 8 ohm loads and slightly more power [330 vs 320] two channels driven into 4 ohm loads" than the $699 Emotiva UPA-7 .

Last edited:
Note at the load I quoted. Yours is rated at 140 at 8 ohms while mine is 200. Yamaha doesn't specify continuous output for all channels at 4 ohms. I'm not surprised.

As compared with far better, it is very much a lightweight. 980 watts in a 37 pound amp is most decidedly so for an AB design. The VTL mono amps I use in the music system weigh 150 lbs for 600 watts total output into 8 ohms.

Yes your $1.8k receiver "delivered similar dynamic power output ACD into 8 ohm loads and slightly more power [330 vs 320] two channels driven into 4 ohm loads" than the $699 Emotiva UPA-7 .
Im not going down this rathole as you attempt to steer it that way. As a 2 channel amplifier, the RX-A will easily stand its ground against a similarly powered separate power amp. According to the test, it's very close to doubling its power into 4 ohms full bandwidth and bested the Emotiva dynamically as well. You can choose to ignore those facts but it still doesn't help you support argument. I dont know why you continue to compare the Yamaha against higher priced piwer amps. Like I said, apple to oranges comparison.

Im not going down this rathole as you attempt to steer it that way.
Objective analysis is sometimes considered as such by some.

According to the test, it's very close to doubling its power into 4 ohms full bandwidth and bested the Emotiva dynamically as well.
Your math seems to be different from mine. Following the link I provided, here are the Alcoholics numbers:

2 channel continuous @ 8 ohms - 155 watts
2 channel continuous @ 4 ohms - 236 watts

Doubling its power? I get 1.52 with my calculator. What does yours say?

Yes, it eked out an additional 4% output over the cheap Emotiva. So, if a 100% increase is 3 db, a 4% increase would translate to what - 0.12 db?

That's your story and you're sticking to it, right? ;)

Last edited:

Yes, it eked out an additional 4% output over the cheap Emotiva. So, if a 100% increase is 3 db, a 4% increase would translate to what - 0.12 db?

That's your story and you're sticking to it, right? ;)

Your objective analysis by selecting certain facts, ignoring others and not using the whole picture is steering. It still beat the Emotiva and yet you attempt to twist that fact around. :rolleyes:

Your math seems to be different from mine. Following the link I provided, here are the Alcoholics numbers:

2 channel continuous @ 8 ohms - 155 watts
2 channel continuous @ 4 ohms - 236 watts

Doubling its power? I get 1.52 with my calculator. What does yours say?

Im using Yamaha's advertised spec of a 140 watts per channel. It doesn't increase the ratio that much but that still doesn't make it a weak 2 channel amp. The review by Audioholics is far more objective than any other audio rag, printed or online and they feel it to have a very capable amplucier and power supply, so much so that recommend it as modest price power amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
It still beat the Emotiva and yet you attempt to twist that fact around.
I observed the test results in post #102 using quoted text from the review - the Yamaha delivered 330 watts dynamic power at 4 ohms and the Emotiva, 320. A 4% difference in output will be inaudible.

...they feel it to have a very capable amplucier and power supply, so much so that recommend it as modest price power amp.

As is the case with the $699 Emotiva:

"Pros
  • Unexpectedly great performance
  • Superb noise floor
  • Unbeatable value
Cons
  • No balanced inputs
  • Embarrasses more expensive amps
The Emotiva UPA-7 in my mind is an embarrassment - not to itself, mind you, but to the industry. What I mean by this bold statement is, it's built too robustly, measures too pristinely and performs too well for a seven channel amplifier selling for even twice its price...My only concern is that Emotiva doesn't put too much weight into my assessment of the UPA-7 and inflate their prices."

I hope it can, I just bought a Yamaha RX-A1070 to replace a Marantz (SR-4300 ?) , It will be sharing a room with a Sansui G-8700DB driving a pair of K-horns. I have ADS 730's and 300's with the Marantz but I see they are not going to work with the Yamaha, so I'l keep the 730's and see what I have for surround speakers, maybe some KEF Q-10 and 50's or BA A or CR series with Yamaha bookshelves as front upper speakers.

I observed the test results in post #102 using quoted text from the review - the Yamaha delivered 330 watts dynamic power at 4 ohms and the Emotiva, 320. A 4% difference in output will be inaudible.

As is the case with the $699 Emotiva:

"Pros
  • Unexpectedly great performance
  • Superb noise floor
  • Unbeatable value
Cons
  • No balanced inputs
  • Embarrasses more expensive amps
The Emotiva UPA-7 in my mind is an embarrassment - not to itself, mind you, but to the industry. What I mean by this bold statement is, it's built too robustly, measures too pristinely and performs too well for a seven channel amplifier selling for even twice its price...My only concern is that Emotiva doesn't put too much weight into my assessment of the UPA-7 and inflate their prices."

Thats correct..Its inaudable. My agruement was never better but the same..having the same ability in 2 channels as the emotiva. I'm glad you finally realie this ;) The Yamaha is as dynamic, clean, and clear as the Emotiva in 2 channels and will easily keep up with it. Its fairly respectable in 5 channels. It would make a good modest 5 channel power amp. Seven is pushing it but it comes with preouts so one can connect power amps if required. I'm glad you realize now that seperates need not cost an arm and a leg to get stellar performance.

Emotiva also makes Preamps as well but I've seen posts where Emotiva is suffering QC issues in both power and preamps. They havent approached yet the levels of QC that Yamaha has worked so hard in getting.

Last edited:

It's the 300's I cant use, It can be switched from 8 Ohm to 6 Ohm and still safely use 4 Ohm speakers for the fronts but the surround speakers must be 8 Ohm according to the manual.

It's the 300's I cant use, It can be switched from 8 Ohm to 6 Ohm and still safely use 4 Ohm speakers for the fronts but the surround speakers must be 8 Ohm according to the manual.

Take a read thru this article. https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1. My PSBs are nominal 6 on the surrounds and my Yamaha AVRs have no issue driving them. Can you point out what page in the owners manual that states surrounds must be 8 ohms? I glossed thru the manual twice and couldnt find it.

I found it on page 23 of the manual under setting speaker impedance, It says after switching from 8 Ohm to 6, 6 Ohm speakers are OK for any position and front speakers can be 4 Ohm but if I read it correctly the others must be 6 Ohm. It only says the front can use 4 Ohm speakers but nothing about the surrounds being ok to use less than 6. I'd like to use all ADS speakers if it was possible, I have a set of 200's and wouldn't mind picking up more 300's (or better) to fil out what I'm missing.

I found it on page 23 of the manual under setting speaker impedance, It says after switching from 8 Ohm to 6, 6 Ohm speakers are OK for any position and front speakers can be 4 Ohm but if I read it correctly the others must be 6 Ohm. It only says the front can use 4 Ohm speakers but nothing about the surrounds being ok to use less than 6. I'd like to use all ADS speakers if it was possible, I have a set of 200's and wouldn't mind picking up more 300's (or better) to fil out what I'm missing.

En

Setting the speaker impedance
Under its default settings, the unit is config
ured for 8-ohm speakers
. When using a 6-ohm
speaker for any channel, set the speaker impedance to “
6 Ω MIN
”. In this case, you can also use
4-ohm speakers as the front speakers

I think you are misinterpreting the manual. The surrounds can be any impedance as well. Unless you are flogging the AVR in a large room with insensitive speakers playing at concert level SPL, then leave the impedance selector to 8ohms. No harm will come. I have an older RX-V1800 running a full suite of PSB Image series speakers whose nominal impedance is 6ohms. I selected 7 channel stereo and ran them into the high 80s SPL and the AVR never got warm.

That's what I get too when I read the manual for my new Yamaha Rx-A770. And I would follow their recommendation with a worst case scenario. Say playing 7 x 4 ohm speakers at full power with continuous music and no subwoofer to do the heavy lifting.

But in most situations for home theater even if you have 7 x 4 ohm speakers, If your using a sub crossed over @80 hz and use the 6 ohm setting on the AVR, I think you will be fine. Seldom if ever are all 7 speakers called upon to deliver full power simultaneously. Some even suggest leaving the AVR in the 8 ohm setting, Even with 7 x 4 ohm speakers. That might be risky!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom