Okay. Two channel and Home Theater. It cant be mixed

Allow me to preface by saying that I'm not an expert on anything, I only offer my experiences in this regard.

I'm running straight ADS surround system. Front (ADS L1230) Center and Surrounds are custom built (ADS L810). All are 6 ohm and I'm using the Yamaha RX-A3070 which is set at 8 ohm. Because it was a gift, I have an amp cooler sitting on top of the Yamaha. That said, hottest temp I get at the lowest fan speed is 78 degrees. Before I got the fan cooler the top of the amp always felt normally warm, never hot. Before I got the Surrounds done, I was using a pair of L400's for the surrounds, the amp temp was the same normally warm, not hot. I'll run it around -25 to -20 volume for Music and -19 to -16 volume for Movies and avg around (roughly) 85 db at 10 ft away. Measured inaccurately using a phone app admittingly. Still, it's plenty loud enough for anyone who's ever been here listening.

That's what I get too when I read the manual for my new Yamaha Rx-A770. And I would follow their recommendation with a worst case scenario. Say playing 7 x 4 ohm speakers at full power with continuous music and no subwoofer to do the heavy lifting.

But in most situations for home theater even if you have 7 x 4 ohm speakers, If your using a sub crossed over @80 hz and use the 6 ohm setting on the AVR, I think you will be fine. Seldom if ever are all 7 speakers called upon to deliver full power simultaneously. Some even suggest leaving the AVR in the 8 ohm setting, Even with 7 x 4 ohm speakers. That might be risky!

I do without issue but I'm not whipping the AVR either.

I don't plan on pushing it hard but my girlfriend mainly uses this system and listens at a higher volume level than I usually do so who knows what happens when I'm not home (there's a Carver/Yamaha system with M&K speakers in the bedroom that she plays pretty loud in the morning). We really don't watch many movies, the reason for the new receiver is just to make it easier for her to stream music during the day, the main system is too complicated she says if something gets switched or is not on.

You may be able to set the Yamaha to default to 2-channel when it is turned on so your GF can rock out without the surrounds.

As others have said, I don't believe running 4 ohm surrounds would be a big deal. If you run it really hard, the amp should go into protect mode without releasing the magic smoke.

The only time I had trouble running 4 ohm speakers with my 6 ohm AVR was when I put it in a cabinet with glass doors and had one of those Realistic audio power meters connected in parallel with the A speakers. The meters may have even been connected improperly when it shut down playing it loud. Had no problems once I opened the doors a bit and reconnected the meters properly.

Had a few minutes so started putting together the media rm, two systems, dedicated 2.1 for music, another 5.2 for the surround, 4 stereo amplifiers. The Carver C-16 pre is control central for both, the Belles is connected to the Modulus System for two channel stereo listening.

The surround is still incomplete with the Soundtech A1000 driving the Jamos on top of the twin Dayton subs, and twin Carver TFM-15cb's driving the Canton center channel and rear surrounds. Total RMS for the surround a measly 1600watts lol.

Have the two channel for both connected, the Jamos rock with 400watts/channel on tap.

No need to mix surround with 2channel.

20181123_154821.jpg
20181123_154634.jpg

Last edited:
The only time I had trouble running 4 ohm speakers with my 6 ohm AVR was when I put it in a cabinet with glass doors and had one of those Realistic audio power meters connected in parallel with the A speakers. The meters may have even been connected improperly when it shut down playing it loud. Had no problems once I opened the doors a bit and reconnected the meters properly.
Sounds more like a thermal issue.

Back
Top Bottom