Old CD player vs a Blu Ray Player vs DAC

Lowrider

I am currently using a Marantz CD 63 SE, but the other day, I heard from one of my friend that his Blu ray player was better than many older CD players in terms of sound quality. With his experience with the hifi stuff in the past, I dont have a reason not to believe him. I found exactly the same model which he has in good used condition for a decent price. Its a BDP 51fd from Pioneer. I assume that DAC's and designs must have improved over the years, and morover it supports more formats. Also I am considering a cheap Android tv box with optical out to an old Audio Alchemy DAC in the box. Has anybody used all three(a coincidence!) and can you help me decide on it? I am leaning towards the Android tv thing a bit due to its better versatility.

Why don't you borrow the BDP51fd from your friend and compare it side by side with your CD63SE in your system, at your place with your music. You might be surprised...

I had the 67SE for years but coupled with an Audio Alchemy DAC and it was a great budget combo. It wasn't all that far behind my Rotel 1072. The OPPO units are not bad for music either. The 63 was good in it's day.

Why don't you borrow the BDP51fd from your friend and compare it side by side with your CD63SE in your system, at your place with your music. You might be surprised...

Because we are in 2 different countries at the moment! If someone can throw some light on this, I would be really happy, to make the move. There is a made in Japan version and the one I am looking is made in Malaysia, But I hope the DACs must be same on both units.

What about the android tv box idea? I am assuming that there are not moving parts, fans inside, and so, can't it give a clean output to the DAC?

Back
Top Bottom