Old cell phones collectors

I've been clearing out a bunch of old magazines and there were a few Popular Mech/Sci mags that touted the new mobile phones (usually accompanied with a diagram of the cell system)

I have a pair of the old Moto bricks. Back in the early days of cellphone hacking, you could jumper a pad on the connector under the battery to put the set in monitor mode.

In a similar vein, the venerable OKI 900 had an Easter Egg menu. Punch in the right code and it would display "GOOD TIMING" and then go to a secret menu that could turn the phone into a scanner when interfaced with a PC.

A guy form an mobile cell shop gave me (for free) an "Nokia" 5110. Unfourtney it's not woking and I think not all the components are original.
:thumbsdn:

When I started in the cellular/wireless business 10 years ago, my manager drove me around for OJT, and he always had some crazy radio chatter going on a speaker.....hooked to a Motorola baggie. I'll just say it was fun....if you know what I mean.

I'm still trying to locate a few Motoflips for the guys who asked....bear with me.

You might try to find old cell phones at cell phones repairing shops. Is hard to find an "Motorola" DynaTAC 8000X? I want one of that too. I may change it with an vintage Europeanen (if someone ever cames to Romania).

Funny that this thread should come up again today... I just brought home a few old phones I found in the attic of the tractor dealership where I work... Got two later-model Motorola bricks, one says "Classic Series" and the other says "Ultra Classic." They're about '89-'91 era I guess. The Ultra Classic is a much thinner version of the brick design. Also got an NEC Talktime from the mid '90s. They all work, though the thinner Moto needs a new contact for the battery as one is broken, and both bricks only have the car adapters rather than batteries. The NEC is in perfect shape, tho, and the battery holds strong.

I got an old phone,

Somewhere in my garage. It was given to me at LEAST 10 or so years ago, and was old then. It is an old GE phone, the kind where the phone HANDSET, which is a LOT bigger than any modern cell phone, is connected to the rest of the unit, which is a BOX, about 1.5" thnick, and 6 or more inches wide, like a power amp, in size. (to think in the mid-to late-80's, some rich ####h probably paid over 2k, for that now-useless thing!!)
At the time, I meant to put it in a car, that never happened, and now, it would probably be IMPOSSIBLE to get service for it.

I think I also have a big handheld one, somewhere, too.

Back
Top Bottom