Old channel master T.T.

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Ken G, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Ken G

Ken G New Member

This is one i had been using because it has 78rpm on it . Its probably 50`s or 60`s vintage . Channel Master model 6653 . I have yet to find another on the net or even any info on it .
    Its old but it sure resembles the fancy high end T.T`s with the big long arm and weight adjust and fully manual with strobe & speed adjust . Its got a big giant Sure cartridge on it .

Anyone seen one ? is it something sought after by ``the collectors``

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee287/bukettt/stuff101.jpg

Thanks .

2. beatcomber

beatcomber AK Member

I can't answer your question, but it sure is cool lookin'!

3. ke4jhj

ke4jhj Well-Known Member

I have never seen that one either. It does look like a high end model from the late 50's similar to the Rek-o-kut B12. With that tonearm, it should easily be capable of 16" transcriptions.

It's definitely a keeper!:yes:

4. Ken G

Ken G New Member

Well thanks everyone for responding and looking . It works real good but unfortunately it has idler wheel drive . The wood looking strip under the arm `is` real wood anr removable .
    The arm rest post is a motor stop switch . I dont know if a ``16 would fit ? never thought of that .
    Its made in Japan . Maybe it was brought over here by a visitor or millitary ?? . I found it along with a bunch of tube gear & neet stuff at an estate sale hidden in the basement inside an old cupboard put away & long forgotten .

5. ke4jhj

ke4jhj Well-Known Member

I don't think that having an idler wheel is necessarily unfortunate. Some other turntables of that era, especially the Rek-o-kut B12, Garrard 301 and 401, had idlers and are very collectible and sought after tables capable of outstanding performance.

As long as the idler is not flat spotted or cracked, it should perform OK. If it is, the wheel can be rebuilt.

Assuming that it does have a 12 inch platter, which it does appear to have, and the length of the tonearm, it should be fully capable of playing 16 inch discs.

I think you have a winner there!

6. orthophonic

orthophonic Super Member

Thse were made by Neat in Japan, Channel master just put their name on it. They were also sold under the Lafayette name. Good performing table and were made in '60-'61.

Hull Rust and KentTeffeteller like this.
  7. AltecDarpa

AltecDarpa King of carrot flowers

channel master was based out of St.Thomas in southern Ontario, at least thats what my channel master receiver says, its a well built little receiver, also made in japan.

8. wilkes85

wilkes85 Super Member

I got a 1960s Channel Master transistor radio. I like it. It's built out of cheap-ish plastic, but it sounds nice, and picks up EXCELLENT reception.

I take it outside in the summer and listen to it when I'm barbecuing on my charcoal grille... haha I'm such a '60s guy LOL

Ronald1973 likes this.
  9. mobo_man

mobo_man New Member

I have one of these. My father bought it in 1956 for around $89.95, which was mid-range back then. Someone on ebaY just sold a 1956 advertising brochure for one for $9.95 or something like that. Mine has a fairly good Pickering cartridge with the dust brush in it. It tracks at 1 gram, which isn't bad, except at low tracking forces, there's not enough downward force to activate the auto-off switch, which is actually the tonearm rest. He bought a BSR 810 to replace it years ago, but the BSR pitch adjustment was only plus/minus 3 percent, and my mother used it for piano practice, so they went back to the Channel Master. It has a huge pitch adjustment, +/- 12% or more, like a radio station or DJ table. I just fixed up that BSR 810 and put a new cable in the arm, and I plan to play with it this weekend, since there's no college or NFL football.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  10. Big Bill

Big Bill Summertime Rolls..... Subscriber

Pics please?

11. JohnVF

JohnVF Lunatic Member

I have a Channel Master integrated tube amp, EL84. The one working channel sounded nice, and it looks cool, but it's in line to get fixed like so many of my other CL "scores".

12. mobo_man

mobo_man New Member

Big Bill - sorry, the TT was 306 miles away at my family home, and with kids in school, I never had time to get back into vinyl until now. (empty-nester) The 6653 is in my club room now and working very well. If anyone is still interested in pictures, I have lots now, including the underside.

13. Hull Rust

Hull Rust AK Subscriber Subscriber

Old thread I ran across and since there was a request for pictures here's some of a 6653. No headshell or 4 pin din connector for the patch cables, so it hasn't been in service.

The top part of the tonearm rest is broken off. When the arm is at rest it turns off the turntable automatically. The black button turns on the light to test platter speed.

The idler is shot and not useable.

IMG_1501.JPG IMG_0456.JPG IMG_0450.JPG IMG_1505.JPG IMG_0466.JPG IMG_0473.JPG IMG_1504.JPG

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  14. Hull Rust

IMG_0431.JPG IMG_0457.JPG IMG_0458.JPG IMG_0465.JPG

bob smog likes this.
  15. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

0= Neutral. Keep the speed selector in neutral unless playing records, this keeps you from leaving a flat spot on your idler wheel. Definitely built by Neat in Japan. Gary Stork at www.thevoiceofmusic.com can rebuild your idler wheel for around $35-$40 and does fine work.

Hull Rust likes this.
  16. revox-b77

revox-b77 AK Subscriber Subscriber

That is a really NEAT table. I hope you bring it back to life.

Hull Rust likes this.
  17. Hull Rust

Been in touch with Gary at VOM about this one, just need to ship off the idler. Also need to send him one from a Harris CB 1201 down the road.

The 6653 has the NEAT GA-12 tonearm and I really like the look of it. The unfortunate issue is that parts are missing, and they don't seem to show up often. I've reached out to a couple of people locally, but no luck so far.

This isn't a project I can devote a lot of 'hobby funds' to so that comes into play here when sourcing parts. I have another turntable project an AKer has gone way above and beyond being patient and helpful to me and that's the priority right now.

The platter mat stamped with "CHANNEL MASTER" is fixed to the platter and is hard and brittle, which is too bad. The platter is a pressure fit, like Lencos. Lift and tap the spindle with a rubber or wood handle screwdriver to release.

The motor seems to be in fine shape. It was noisy so I added oil and ran it for 24 hours sans idler and no issues with heat or noise. I have a source for motor mounts, that will be next after the idler.

The inner platter has buildup you can see in the pictures. Scotch Brite pads, 0000 steel wool followed by 99% alcohol and swabs is the plan for that

I have some literature I'll scan and post to this thread.

Anyway, when I came across this thread I thought I'd try to add some more information on the 6653 for folks down the road. Hope someone finds it helpful.

IMG_1509.JPG IMG_0444.JPG IMG_0445.JPG IMG_0429.JPG IMG_0435.JPG IMG_0478.JPG IMG_0481.JPG

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  18. Hull Rust

Here's more including the arm rest.

Note that I reconnected the wire so the shutoff function works as it should now.

IMG_0437.JPG IMG_0438.JPG IMG_0441.JPG IMG_0447.JPG

19. Sam Cogley

Sam Cogley Last of the Time Lords Subscriber

That old Japanese plastic PIO cap really needs to go.

Hull Rust likes this.
  20. Hull Rust

I wanted to attach the brochure for another Channel Master model which seems to only have some slight differences from the 6653, because it shows the thrust bearing and it can be accessed and serviced it seems.

Also a couple more 'beauty' shots of my 6653, but my photography skills are lacking, so they are what they are.

SCAN0919.JPG SCAN0920.JPG IMG_1512.JPG IMG_1516.JPG