Old channel master T.T.

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Ken G, Jan 8, 2009.

1. texdeadly

texdeadly Member

Nice Table! Just ran across one just like yours! Same GA-12 arm and all...even the broken arm rest/on/off switch! Seems these are the same as a NEAT P-68, just re-badged. In the process of getting it lubed and cleaned up. Going to have to replace the idler wheel also. Looks ok but starts a bit slow and slowly gains speed . Thinking it must be the rubber warming up and gripping better?
    Love the simplicity of these old tables!!

2. Hull Rust

Hull Rust AK Subscriber Subscriber

There are other AK members with much greater experience than me who will maybe chime in on getting yours up to snuff.

I'm still finding my way working on these old idlers, but getting the idler done and platter inner rim cleaned with swabs and isoprophol alcohol will help.

For the idler terrysrubblerrollers.com, Gary @ Voice of Music and Ed Crockett are all folks I have used in the past.

Good luck with your project and please post pictures.

3. texdeadly

texdeadly Member

4. Hull Rust

Thanks for posting those, very cool.

What's the cartridge, Pickering?

If you have any photos of the tonearm cable and could please post them that would be great. If I ever find a headshell for my 6653 I'll need to rig up a din connector for the patch cables. I'm curious what the original looks like.

5. texdeadly

texdeadly Member

DSCF7942.JPG DSCF7944.JPG DSCF7945.JPG DSCF7946.JPG Some pict's of the tonearm cable. Looks like the wires may have been replace at some point? DSCF7942.JPG DSCF7944.JPG DSCF7945.JPG DSCF7946.JPG

Hull Rust likes this.
  6. texdeadly

texdeadly Member

7. texdeadly

texdeadly Member

Yes, Pickering XV-15 W/D625E cartridge. Seemed like a good fit. Came with an old GE that was pretty toasty! Hope the pict's of the cable help.

Hull Rust likes this.
  8. Hull Rust

Thank you very much for the pictures. It is very much appreciated, I've saved them to give me a point of reference when hopefully down the road I'm assembling a din connector for mine. Let us know how yours turns out after you get the idler serviced.

9. JFRACE

JFRACE AK Subscriber Subscriber

Looks like the spawn of an Empire and Rek O Kut,lovely looking table.

10. mobo_man

mobo_man New Member

Here are some pics of mine. I'm now trying to find a dust cover from an existing TT that will work on mine. It would need to be 17.125 to 17.150" inside x 13.5" deep x 4 to 5 inches high. I can have one made for $139, but I'd rather try to find something in the pool of existing covers that will work.

Mine also has a Pickering V-15/AME-1 Dustmatic cartridge also. My father bought it back in 1960 or so, and I kept it running. When he passed, it came to me.

Attached Files:

Hull Rust likes this.
  11. Hull Rust

Got the idler back and it runs quiet, dead on. The condition the idler was in is back a page.

The search for a headshell continues.

IMG_2069.JPG IMG_2072.JPG

KentTeffeteller likes this.
  12. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

I hope you can score a headshell for this classic Japanese idler drive turntable. It is beautiful, and appears to be very well made. Neat built very well built equipment. Mostly known here under private labels.

Hull Rust likes this.
  13. Squirrely

Squirrely Active Member

Portland Craigslist