Old computer monitors

Hehe - I have both of those monitors. They're monochrome, with green picture tubes. I've also got the color version of that NEC. They take composite NTSC video input and were intended to be used with computers of the period such as the Apple II. That Zenith monitor there was meant to go with the Zenith Z-100 series of computers, but can be used with others. It just kinda matches the Zenith computer. It's actually a television set, if you look at it. The plate on the right is where the controls would have gone, and if you take it apart, the holes are there for the knobs, and the mounts for the tuner, they just covered them up with a solid tin plate. The back also has the molded marks for where the antenna would have mounted and the clip-down to hold the antenna is there too. Zenith just used a slightly modified television circuit to handle composite video, and a green picture tube.

So - you're looking for info on old computer monitors - what do you want to know? :) I've probably got most of them... I've got some pretty unusual looking ones kicking around, the most fun, though, are the computer terminals, rather than computer monitors. Terminals typically are older than most monitors, and are basically a monitor, with a keyboard, that communicates to the computer through a serial (or proprietary) protocol. So, the computer doesn't generate the video, it just has to send text, the terminal handles all the video and text displaying, screen formatting and such. There are some really cool looking terminals out there. Here's a picture of a DEC VT100 terminal I just turned up with a quick Google search. I've got a couple of these, they're nice terminals. http://www.talisman.org/~erlkonig/img/interface/historical/vt100.png

Is there something specific you're looking for? Need some help fixing something, or just curious? Hopefully I'll have my site up sometime eventually (ongoing project... on hold at the moment...). I'll have lots of pictures of stuff. If you want, I can run around with a camera and snap photos of stuff in my basement. :)

Do you want any old computer monitors? I could use some space...

-Ian

I would like to get some old monitors from U, but I live in Romania! :D
I know that monitors can't be use as tv's. They are EGA or VGA monitors?
Can you give an e-mail with some pics of your old monitors?
I own an 1991 b & W "Radius" (designed for "Apple")-the monitor is Made in U.S.A. (I got it 4 free) and at Pentium 2 computer I have an 1994! "Panasonic" color monitor, Made in Taiwan :thumbsdn:

Back
Top Bottom