Old Dell Optiplex Problem

There's something about these I just like. Easy to work on because everything just snaps in and out, small and quiet. My 755 SFF does all I need, trying to setup this 745 to play around with dsp.

As noted in previous post, suspect bad power supply. If you have an extra ATX ps, you can try. Full size should work for testing.

I pulled the four 2200uf caps and they measure from 2100 to 2200+. I checked the 1800uf and it was about 1700.

?

Those values are OK. Did the board clean up well enough that you can be sure you are not conducting between the pins on that slot? Do you have a power supply you could substitute, as SoCal suggested?

I scrubbed it clean, tooth brush and contact cleaner.

Ok, I got boot to bios with no hard drive connected. I pulled the drive, got the pencil eraser out and scrubbed the contacts on the drive. Put it back in and it ran. Three times so far it's booted.

If it boots cold in the morning I will be happy.

well,took it five tries to start this morning, which is better than it was. I'm thinking this connector to the hard drive is loose feeling, trying to find out what it's called ?

20180815_223618.jpg

Nope. lol

Time to break it.

Tore the supply apart and theres one with brown gassing on top and a few more bulging. Each side of that small blue wire and next to that coil under the white goop. All these are green, maybe the same manufacturer ?

20180816_170841.jpg

Replaced eight caps inside the supply, man it's tight in there. Started right up, hope it doesn't catch on fire. lol

17 bucks in caps and a 6 dollar connector. Fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone !

20180817_190449.jpg

20180817_202038.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom