OLD Dynaco Mono's & PS

Separate power supply for the mono amps.

Iron checked out good, I'm thinking too much work for a complete re-cap.

Dynaco A-440 Iron, mono amps. Anyone know how far back these date
id say late 50's .those are some serious output transformers and also very desirable.iirc theyre good for about 100w each.that power supply also looks impressive .i would say that a recapping would probally be not too bad and after finished youll have a nice sounding set of amps.i have some dynaco info with schematics that were supplied by dynaco when you bought their output transformers to build your own amp .these amps are definately homebrew and it would be interesting to find out if the constructor followed one of these schematics.ill dig out what i have and get back to you and email the schematic they supllied for the a440 if your intersted.
chris

Hi RussMan,

Where did you find these? Do they look home built? The sockets look like they were riveted in. Check to see if there are any Identification marking, numbers or name on the power trannies. I'll bet they were wired in parallel for more current capability. They sure look beefy. And what's up with what looks like 3 chokes!!

If you ever decide to unload or want to trade for these, let me know, I've been looking for the A440 trannies. I have the Dyna power trannies that go with these sitting forlornly looking for their Output cousins. Can you tell how many output taps there are off the transformer, aside from the common ground connection? If there are 3, they would be 4, 8, and 16 ohm. If only 2, they would be 8 and 16.

The trannies date from the late 50's which was the era that Acrosound/Dynaco was designing and building these potted transformers.

Here's a link to a copy of the Dynaco transformer catalog in .pdf form

http://www.clarisonus.com/Archives/Trans/Dynaco_transformer.pdf

Obviously, the power supply looks really different in your units.

Let us see the nudie innards - any idea what tubes are supposed to go in the various sockets?

Bart

Last edited:
Ok, Underside of one of the mono amps.

Each takes two 12BH7 on the front end, and the octal sockets aren't labled? 6L6 maybe?

Belly on the PS.

Appears to take one 5U4, one OA2, one 6AU6, and one 6L6GC.

2 gray cans are labled 'UTC' Special Series. The large sqaure one is 'Type S-34' and the round one is 'Type CG-100'.

The Chicago tranny is marked 'RH-8158'.

The big Dyna iron on the end are stamped '95-1353' and under that '138238'.

Cheers,
Russ

Those are some beastly looking devils. I would find it near impossible to resist bringing them back to life if I had them!

Yeah, the temptation is there, the time and expense isn't. Kind of like the old RCA theater amps I had, too old, too much effort (for me anyway).

Cheers,
Russ

Man, those might be some of the oldest Dynaco pieces in existance... IIRC, predating even the Mk. II amplifier. I'd guess made in about 1954...

Talk about a piece of history... that might be one of the very first "commercially-built" Ultra-linear amps ever made in any numbers, whatsoever!

Regards,
Gordon.

GordonW said:
Talk about a piece of history... that might be one of the very first "commercially-built" Ultra-linear amps ever made in any numbers, whatsoever!
????? Those are very nice, but I don't understand what you guys see that make you conclude they were anything but well-built one-off homebrews. The parts selection (S-34, CG-100, etc.) is not what you would find in a commercial unit. The UTC CG (commercial grade) stuff wouldn't be used with the other brands and lines, for example.

But that is the exact kind of parts I have in the homebrew power supplies that were built for a pair of mono PPP 6550 amps I had that used Dyna OPTs. The builder was a recording studio engineer here in Toledo. Looks to me like yours were built by someone with experience too.

Back
Top Bottom