old fashioned 75 ohm antenna lug connector

rmunson

Hi Folks -
I am getting really poor reception on my Pioneer sx-727 receiver - I'm not sure if the tuner is out of adjustment or if I just need a better antenna.

I'm currently using a 300 ohm T dipole antenna - but the FM stations drift and drop out quickly after tuning them in --

I'd like to try using the 75 ohm antenna - on the 727 there isn't a coaxial type connector but a lug type connection -- see attached picture -- how do you use this type of connector? What would I need?

Thanks in advance for any insight --
Reed

Attachments

• Pioneer-SX-727-Receiver-_57.jpeg
    Pioneer-SX-727-Receiver-_57.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 55
The 75 ohm screw lug attaches to the center conductor of a 75 ohm coax antenna cable. The metal bracket below the lug secures the cable and connects to the outer ground braid on the coax after it has been folded back over (or next to) the outer insulation (or maybe without being folded back depending on the fit). Stripping a coax cable is a bit of an chore, you have to first strip the outer insulation then work the inner insulated conductor free and then strip that. Maybe someone can post or point you to instructions for that.

No harm in trying for a better antenna, but if the stations come in OK when you first tune them in and then degrade, I think your next step might be to try the remedy in the "how to clean a tuner" sticky at the top of this forum.

Cheers,

chazix

look for a 75 ohm to 300 ohm balun. Inexpensive little adapter so you don't have to putz with the cable end. many antennas come with one!

Thanks for your help on this -
I moved the receiver to another wall where I was able to use the dipole antennae more effectively -
The how to clean a tuner sticky was very helpful as well --

I haven't connected anything into that 75ohm connector yet -- but I still might try that --

Back
Top Bottom