Old, in-car phones are pretty much worthless now.

Clarence said:
I need to freak people out with my old tech.....

There was an article on either Make or Engadget of someone who takes the headset out cable for a non-bluetooth mobile phone and wires in the speaker & mic on one of these old phones. He said the reactions were hilarious when he would take it out and start using it. I need a shoe phone though.

rca2000 said:
THIS wouldn't be what you are looking for, would it??

It says"" "Pac-tel" cellular and under that, Classic by Motorola.

It is HEAVY for a cell phone--MUCH heavier and bigger than the first one i had in '99. At LEAST a pound or more with the battery. I have NO IDEA of it's condition or where it came from (Probably a hamfest from some years ago). The dimensions are about 7" high, close to 2" wide and 2.5 inches deep(at the edges). The antenna is mising, but the battery is there(probably long dead, though.)

I placed this big thing in my hand and held it like I was going to use it. It seems like it would get HEAVY holding it in a few MINUTES to me!!

if you want it--it is yours. I am not planning to do anything with it. Verizon or probably anyone else around here would laugh their socks off if someone were to try and get them to connect it in this area.

I know someone who'd like that.

If anyone here does have an International 3200, I'd swap them an analog brick plus cash.

soundmotor said:
There was an article on either Make or Engadget of someone who takes the headset out cable for a non-bluetooth mobile phone and wires in the speaker & mic on one of these old phones. He said the reactions were hilarious when he would take it out and start using it. I need a shoe phone though.

Another idea.....instead of expensive anti-psychotic drugs, let's provide schizophrenics with dummy bluetooth headsets. They'll easily blend into the crowd, although I suspect their "conversations" would be far more rational than those of the typical Wal-Mart shopper.

Ron

TVTeufel said:

Another idea.....instead of expensive anti-psychotic drugs, let's provide schizophrenics with dummy bluetooth headsets. They'll easily blend into the crowd, although I suspect their "conversations" would be far more rational than those of the typical Wal-Mart shopper.

Ron
oh god, that's hilarious, into the signature it goes

John in MA said:
Vendors only make one phone, they then lock it to work with certain providers if it's to be sold by a provider. If you can find the information, there's nothing stopping you from unlocking a phone and using it with another network. I'm using a Cingular prepaid SIM card in an old Handspring PDA VisorPhone.
I got a bum phone from SunCom, they won't support it, Motorola says it's Suncom's problem, cell contracts are a B*tch. To the point: I pulled out an old Nokia (I never throw anything away - and I try to hide the good stuff from the wife so she can't :D ) and tracked down the unlock codes (it was Cingular-only, rejected the Suncom SIM) and got it working. NOW I can live out the life of my contract without having to pay Suncom another $150 for a duplicate crap phone.

A warning to those who try the unlocking method: If you are trying to do it with a code typed into your phone's keypad, you only have a few chances before the phone locks out all input. Make sure you have the correct code, and know how to enter it! Otherwise, you need special equipment that will interface the phone's guts with a computer.

Fast_Eddie said:
In my experience, analog phone service has cost a lot more then digital for several years now. I've heard that they were moving to realocation of the analog bands. Too bad. My dad had an old scanner modified to pick up cell conversations. I didn't find thing out until after he died and I picked up said scanner. I spent some entertaining evenings lisening in on cell calls. It did teach me never to say too much on the phone! I'm sure the more technically savvy among us has already figured out how to do this with the new phones!

Take care,

Ed

I remember having a few police scanners with a seek scan feature. You could pick up mobile phones and latter on it could pick up cordless home phones in the higher frequencies. It would also pick up businesses, such as security two-way radios. I listened to many emergency calls at different factories of accidental and some intentional toxic spills or releases. They were covered up to the general public of course.

Back
Top Bottom